Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s!

letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
edited June 2012 in General

Hello,

I have Macbook Pro and i'm looking to upgrade HD to more faster instead of my old HD , I find Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s cost about $150 very cheap!! with some mix review anyone used this HD? the SSD 500GB cost about $600!!

Thanks.

Comments

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

I have a 750GB Momentus XT in my Mac Mini, they are fairly good. You can't control what is on the SSD cache part of it though, and I usually leave my one on 24/7, its started to cache games on the SSD.

Warning, do not expect the same robustness of a SSD. Hybrid drives are really only good in desktop computers.

Thanked by 1letbox
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@Daniel said: I have a 750GB Momentus XT in my Mac Mini, they are fairly good. You can't control what is on the SSD cache part of it though, and I usually leave my one on 24/7, its started to cache games on the SSD.

Warning, do not expect the same robustness of a SSD. Hybrid drives are really only good in desktop computers.

But it still faster than normal Harddrive correct?!

Thanks.

• @key12 said: But it still faster than normal Harddrive correct?!

For reading yes, as long as its on the cache.

Thanked by 1letbox
  • @key12 why not buy a small ssd, put the hdd in your superdrive slot (bracket from ebay) and have epic speed + traditional hdd for large storage? i have 128gb samsung 830 series ssd (fastest available) and 750gb hdd in my MBP 2011 15".

@djvdorp said: why not buy a small ssd, put the hdd in your superdrive slot (bracket from ebay) and have epic speed + traditional hdd for large storage? i have 128gb samsung 830 series ssd (fastest available) and 750gb hdd in my MBP 2011 15".

install 2HD on Macbook Pro?

• @key12 said: install 2HD on Macbook Pro?

If removing the superdrive

Thanked by 1letbox
  • @key12 yes indeed. Instead of the superdrive

Thanked by 1letbox
  • huluwahuluwa Member
    edited June 2012

I have a Momentus XT 500 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s HD. This is a mixed disk and can't improve IO perfomance so much, at least, less than I expected. So I added an SSD.

Thanked by 1letbox

humm,

Crucial 512 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s cost about $379.99 anyone used Crucial before?

• Crucials m4 line is decent as far as i know. Samsung 830 is just as fast and cheaper if i recall correct

Thanked by 1letbox

@djvdorp said: Crucials m4 line is decent as far as i know. Samsung 830 is just as fast and cheaper if i recall correct

Samsung 830 512GB cost $629.99

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited June 2012

@key12 said: Samsung 830 512GB cost $629.99

You get what you pay for.

Tbh i'd go with Samsung or Intel

Thanked by 1letbox
  • @key12 wow, the pricing here in holland is a bit different then..

Thanked by 1letbox

@djvdorp said: wow, the pricing here in holland is a bit different then..

humm, i'm buying from Amazon, it's cheapest price in Amazon.

• Very good hardware, except that I hate macs, due to copyrights (and price)

It might be good for a Linux install.

• @luis123456 said: Very good hardware, except that I hate macs, due to copyrights (and price)

Thats not very nice.

@luis123456 said: Very good hardware, except that I hate macs, due to copyrights (and price)

It might be good for a Linux install.

Mac really nice but it burn my eyes.

• The price is high when compared to last year.