Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is how Vultr treated me make up your own minds
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

This is how Vultr treated me make up your own minds

universal8universal8 Member
edited August 2014 in Providers

The fact that I was treated very bad by Vultr even though I personally followed their terms, I think it seems fair for me to let others know how they can damage your reputation. luckily we were not reliant on them as we offer our own servers VPS, but we did have clients hosted on their network which have been left high and dry with no service because Vultr does not care.

I personally had a long discussion with them regarding reselling and how they would treat a clients violation before selling their droplets, but they did not honour what they said which was

My ticket

Ticket PRG-906VA has been updated by David xxxx [customer].

Hi, ok thank you for your help, I just have one more question, am I allowed to have 2 vultr accounts? I currently only have one but the reason for wanting two would be setting some clients on VPSs with Smpt blocked in one account while allowing Smtp to more trusted clients who request this on the account with SMTP.

Best Regards

David

Ticket PRG-906VA has been updated by Bill Jxxxx [staff].

You can have a second account but it will need to be under another email/payment method possibly.

Bill xxxx
http://www.vultr.com

This is the ticket regarding how they deal with violations

Ticket OFP-538SK has been updated by Brian xxx [staff].

We would generally notify you before doing anything. In the event of things like large outbound attacks, or other outgoing abuse we may suspend the relevant servers before contacting you.

Our abuse department generally requests a response within 12 hours of you being notified about the abuse.

Brian xxx
Vultr.com Support

Yet they terminated my whole account because of one of my clients 1st violation which btw is the only client to commit a violation. and I responded to them within minutes of their first email.

https://discuss.vultr.com/discussion/329/vultr-suspended-account-for-no-reason-with-my-clients-vps-on-them

Comments

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2014

What were you hosting for others? It's never a good idea to rely on other people's SMTP filtering - block port 25 yourself!

Vultr are a bit paranoid though, and I think their support can be a little rude sometimes :(

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

said: In the event of things like large outbound attacks, or other outgoing abuse we may suspend the relevant servers before contacting you.

Suspending the whole account is a different matter anyway.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

That is bad, looks like someone pulled the trigger without engaging their brain first.

If it had been abuse that you had not taken care of or repeat abuse for the same thing i could understand but unless some facts are missing despite your best efforts they terminated your whole account without notice?

Really bad.

• I also can confirm that the support don't really seem to like customers.. :(

• I was reselling some of their vps servers which they knew about for customers we dont have servers near ourselves, so I was not able to block port 25! besides its their stupid rule so they should block it or not state they are, there's no other facts it is how I said, a user sent spam, no way of me knowing until they told me so they terminated my whole account that had been authorised as a reseller account,

Also they knew other clients were on and the spammers name was in the spam too that was reported to them so they knew it wasnt me, it would appear he was advertising his services via email but they gave no further details, I also have that email , it was not repeated but first time and dealt with immediately, I shutdown and stopped the clients access until I heared back from Vultr but instead they terminated my account I know that what they did was unethical and I sold their VPSs under false beliefs that something like this would not happen, .

• universal8universal8 Member
    edited August 2014

@Nyr said:
    Suspending the whole account is a different matter anyway.

Huh, lol yes its taking it a step further than what they apparently wouldnt do to begin with!

• universal8 said: I was reselling some of their vps servers which they knew about for customers we dont have servers near ourselves

I think you should reveal your company name so that we can 'make up our own minds'.

edited August 2014

Make your own mind about what??? how is that relative? sorry I aint gonna trash my brand associating it with Vultr, the number of customers we had on Vultr compared to our own servers was minimal, the point is we care about our customers unlike Vultr besides loads of other Vultr resellers since there's an API so nope I will not & now we are not offering any Vultr services, were moving customers off the existing account onto our servers :).

Thanked by 1tr1cky
  • kcaj said: I think you should reveal your company name so that we can 'make up our own minds'.

universal8 said: Make you own mind about what??? how is that relative?

Agreed. Any past record shouldn't have impacted Vultr's behavior.

I personally have never had a good experience with Vultr's support (DO is my go to now).

• Silvenga said: Agreed. Any past record shouldn't have impacted Vultr's behavior.

Not suggesting anything of the contrary.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2014

I know this isn't a popular opinion around here but I've been really iffy on Vultr ever since they first launched with a blatant copy of DigitalOcean's website (down to the specific colors and shapes of icons).

The service itself may be OK but it seems like they have some really questionable business ethics and I've almost universally heard that their customer service reps are really condescending (I kind of get that vibe from Dave's posts here, too).

It's all too bad because there's definitely room for a good DigitalOcean competitor... I guess Vultr just doesn't have DO's absolutely stellar customer service and marketing sense, which, far more than the technology, is what's made them so successful.

• Our customers knew> @kcaj said:

Not suggesting anything of the contrary.

Thank you because all I can say is certain website changes which looked like ours after they found out who we were could, im not saying this is how it is but does suggest they were actually threatened possibly by us or it could be as simple as someone just pulled the plug without thinking which doesn't say much, I also fully agree with the support not being helpful.

edited August 2014

@Dylan said:
    I know this isn't a popular opinion around here but I've been really iffy on Vultr ever since they first launched with a blatant copy of DigitalOcean's website (down to the specific colors and shapes of icons).

The service itself may be OK but it seems like they have some really questionable business ethics and I've almost universally heard that their customer service reps are really condescending (I kind of get that vibe from Dave's posts here, too).

It's all too bad because there's definitely room for a good DigitalOcean competitor... I guess Vultr just doesn't have DO's absolutely stellar customer service and marketing sense, which, far more than the technology, is what's made them so successful.

I fully agree with all of that, they do talk in a condescending manner, I noticed their business model being a copy od DO and also they have closed my thread now on their forum, which basically shows they dont care, tbh I may just let it go an move on theyre not worth it.

• I reviewed your case and 66% of your instances had spam complaints come in. We're reviewing our policies to see if perhaps they can be loosened up a bit while maintaining a clean environment for all our customers.

As for our customer service reps being condescending that should definitely never be the case and we will review and act on that as well.

Your account has been refunded in full.

• @DaveA said:
    I reviewed your case and 66% of your instances had spam complaints come in. We're reviewing our policies to see if perhaps they can be loosened up a bit while maintaining a clean environment for all our customers.

As for our customer service reps being condescending that should definitely never be the case and we will review and act on that as well.

66%... Is that 2 out of 3?

• @sundaymouse said:

Well, according to OP it was only 1 person. Maybe we're counting midgets?

Thanked by 1switsys
  • LOL although I don't recommend hosting important sites on vultr due to strict policy, but 66% of instances with spam complaints is not good at all.

Thanked by 1cnbeining
  • @sundaymouse said:

Seems to mean the OP has at least 3 servers, and two of them were spamming.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @sleddog said:

That's just a joke...

Anyway, every story has two sides, let's see how it goes.

• If the customer wants to tell you how many instances in aggregate there are that would be up to them but we're not going to reveal the number.

• Seems a bit of an odd move being honest but I wouldn't have resold servers if I wasn't 100% of their support from what I've seen it doesn't seem quite DigitalOcean standard which has got to be tops for the effort they put in to solve your issues, sorry to hear this has happened to you.

edited August 2014

Please do state what the spam level on the existing VPS aacount I have implemented control on with several VPS instances is? 0%

edited August 2014

@msg7086 said:
    LOL although I don't recommend hosting important sites on vultr due to strict policy, but 66% of instances with spam complaints is not good at all.

The spam was by 1 client that ordered 2 VPSs Vultr was aware of that as the spam contained his name that had been reported to Vultr. The other VPS Clients lossed their files for nothing

edited August 2014

@sleddog said:

I have 2 accounts one with several VPS that have SMPT block removed and no spam, the account with SMPT block on is the one with 3 active VPSs that had 1 client spamming on both, I was informed of both at the same time.

• Caveman122Caveman122 Member
    edited August 2014

2 VPS / .66 = 3 VPS

the ther clients on teh other VPS

You meant the other client then. Vultr may or may not know it being the same person, they received complaints regarding the spam messages not the message itself. It is unfortunate they shut down your whole account for it without warning, and I am sure that particular support person is going to get his ass kicked in one way or another. Since they refunded you in full and is investigating the support person, I would call this one even.

edited August 2014

@Caveman122 said:
    2 VPS / .66 = 3 VPS

You meant the other client then. Vultr may or may not know it being the same person, they received complaints regarding the spam messages not the message itself. It is unfortunate they shut down your whole account for it without warning, and I am sure that particular support person is going to get his ass kicked in one way or another. Since they refunded you in full, I would call this one even.

The other account was linked and the deleted account was authorised based on info from the first account so its not even, they did receive the message containing the name because they forwarded it to me!

• @universal8 said:
    3 servers

So 3 VMs, two of them used for spam.

• If I had not been refunded I would have filed a chargeback> @DaveA said:

I reviewed your case and 66% of your instances had spam complaints come in. We're reviewing our policies to see if perhaps they can be loosened up a bit while maintaining a clean environment for all our customers.

I should think so deleting peoples account just like that!, I dont want your free credit btw that your CEO added to my existing account as I am not going to offer Vultr services in the future, I do want the funds of the terminated account refunded to my card, If I had not been refunded I would have filed a chargeback as I had not used the credit.

edited August 2014

@sleddog said:
    So 3 VMs, two of them used for spam.

No because the first account has many VPSs and 3 active at the time what about the previous ones? and the ones on the active account linked to the other account? try and make its sound like my fault but lets face it I rectified the error and still it was terminates so whatever really clearly

• Caveman122Caveman122 Member
    edited August 2014

Let me get this straight, because the maths doesn't make sense here. So you have 2 accounts each with several VPS on them and they removed both accounts because one of your client who had VPS on both accounts spammed? Still where did the 66% come from, how many VPS do you have in total with them? How many actual clients of yours were affected?