Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

    Looking for a cheap dedi or VPS
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

    Looking for a cheap dedi or VPS

    KeltharKelthar Member
    edited August 2014 in Requests

    Heya,

    I'm currently looking for a cheap VPS or dedi in which to host personal data, namely backups. Apart from this, I'd also be running my own cloud, possibly OwnCloud, or BitTorrent Sync + some WebUI. I'd be looking at around 200-250GB of space; anything extra will be treated as, well, an extra, and is not necessary but is welcome.

    Apart from that, I'd also run a VPN on it. This is not a VPN for my home connection, or server connections, it'd be a VPN for my phone and laptop, which I have to frequently use in insecure WiFi hotspots.

    Budget? As cheap as possible.

    Have been trying to get a kimsufi (unsuccessfully), KS-1 more precisely, and also scavenging around here, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

    Thought about getting a small cheap VPS for the VPN, and something like HubiC for storage, but reading about their speeds, no thanks.

    Also "worried" about getting a VPS, since I might end up reading/writing at speeds above 20MB/s for some time, wondering if this sort of I/O will get me suspended.

    So yeah, anything fits. Was seeing if I could get it done for 5€/month or less, but if it's not do-able, no problems with increasing budget.

    Comments

    • Whats your preferred location?

    • Digitalocean, Vultr?

    • @Rhys_quadex said:
      Whats your preferred location?

      Anything fits. US or Europe, I guess, but I doubt anyone would manage to suggest anywhere else.

      I'm European, but the ping won't really bother me. I mean, if there are two exact offers, one in US and one in UK, I'll be going for the UK one, but other than that, doesn't really matter.

    • @Kelthar said:
      I'm European, but the ping won't really bother me. I mean, if there are two exact offers, one in US and one in UK, I'll be going for the UK one, but other than that, doesn't really matter.

      Best to have the VPN as close as possible, either way Europe isn't my specialty so i'm going to runaway to a dark corner now.

    • @joodle said:
      Digitalocean, Vultr?

      Only found SSDs in Digitalocean, and regarding Vultr's storage plans, noted!

    • @Rhys_quadex said:
      Best to have the VPN as close as possible, either way Europe isn't my specialty so i'm going to runaway to a dark corner now.

      Agreed, but even if I get an added 500ms delay it won't be much of an issue, considering I won't be running or doing anything that relies on low ping.

    • Ramnode? You could get an SSD cached plan if you need lots of space.

      Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
      Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

    • I guess i could offer you something,

      I'm not really sure the specs your after,

      1 GB Ram
      Dual Core CPU @ 3.3Ghz
      40 GB HDD
      1 GBPS - 200 GB BW / Month

      5 Euros / Month , If you require specifics like more ram or more HDD let me know we can work something out!

    • Just to clarify, I accidentally deleted the space requirements from the original post (wanted to rewrite it but didn't, it's now back there), I'm looking for around 200-250GB of space. Anything above that is a bonus, but not necessary.

    • Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
      Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

    • urm you might aswell go with VPSDIME

    • MSPNickMSPNick Member
      edited August 2014

      @Kelthar said:
      Heya,

      I'm currently looking for a cheap VPS or dedi in which to host personal data, namely backups. Apart from this, I'd also be running my own cloud, possibly OwnCloud, or BitTorrent Sync + some WebUI. I'd be looking at around 200-250GB of space; anything extra will be treated as, well, an extra, and is not necessary but is welcome.

      Apart from that, I'd also run a VPN on it. This is not a VPN for my home connection, or server connections, it'd be a VPN for my phone and laptop, which I have to frequently use in insecure WiFi hotspots.

      Budget? As cheap as possible.

      Have been trying to get a kimsufi (unsuccessfully), KS-1 more precisely, and also scavenging around here, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

      Thought about getting a small cheap VPS for the VPN, and something like HubiC for storage, but reading about their speeds, no thanks.

      Also "worried" about getting a VPS, since I might end up reading/writing at speeds above 20MB/s for some time, wondering if this sort of I/O will get me suspended.

      So yeah, anything fits. Was seeing if I could get it done for 5€/month or less, but if it's not do-able, no problems with increasing budget.

      We have this if of interest; It is a bit over your budget, but it's a dedicated server with 500GB hard drive, 1 gb/s connection.

      Intel E5200 Core2Duo 2.50ghz

      4GB DDR2 Ram

      500GB SATA2 7,200RPM HDD

      1Gb/s connection

      10TB bandwidth

      /29 subnet

      £60/mo



      Order now

    • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider

      Kelthar said: 5€/month

      MSPNick said: bit over your budget

      MSPNick said: £60/mo

      Thanked by 2Brad hostnoob

      Had enough of the scams on lowendbox, lowendtalk is now being infiltrated by corruption so I have chosen to make an low end exit #lexit for now - you can find me HERE

    • wychwych Member

      Also outside of LET pricing rules no?

      Taking a hiatus.

    • perennateperennate Member, Provider

      wych said: Also outside of LET pricing rules no?

      Those are only for offers anyway.

    • KeltharKelthar Member
      edited August 2014

      @MSPNick said:
      £60/mo

      That's a "tiny bit" over the budget. Like, 15x?

      Thanks for the offer, but way out of my price range.

    • @Kelthar said:
      Thanks for the offer, but way out of my price range.

      No worries.

    • It took more than a month to verify my kimsufi account, so you should be patient. It will work. I have KS-1 5EUR/month, satisfied

    • What about Backupsy? There were some 50% off codes, which makes the cost comedown to 5$ per month for the 250GB plan with 512MB RAM and by paying an extra 5$, you can use it for normal stuff too (Read about that somewhere, not sure its still applicable)

      My personal blog: Bizzard.info
      Come join me on Diaspora, the privacy aware Social Network
    • KeltharKelthar Member
      edited August 2014

      @supick said:
      It took more than a month to verify my kimsufi account, so you should be patient. It will work. I have KS-1 5EUR/month, satisfied

      Been trying to get a hold of one since late July (like, 29th or something), so it's been a month, and only got close to getting one once (saw it available, went to register, out of stock).

      @bizzard said:
      What about Backupsy? There were some 50% off codes, which makes the cost comedown to 5$ per month for the 250GB plan with 512MB RAM and by paying an extra 5$, you can use it for normal stuff too (Read about that somewhere, not sure its still applicable)

      Currently coming in at first place is OnePoundHosting (clicky), followed by RootNerds (found on another topic, clicky).

      Not sure if there will be any better offers, since these are pretty damn great. Despite liking Backupsy (I mean, never been with them, but heard mostly positive), I'd be paying double, for less.

    • I used this site: http://kimi.nwwebsites.co.uk/
      If you account is verified, it's very easy to order a dedicated server
      So the point is verify your account first

    • You can check VPS offers at invpsus.com
      Here is what can meet your needs:

      8 GB RAM
      4 vCPU
      200 GB SSD Storage
      1 IP
      5 TB Bandwidth
      $20.00 with coupon code "INCODUS"

    • i can recommend datashack i have great experience with them

    • Checkout VPSdime, run by the Backupsy guys. They have RAM and Storage offerings, 250gb storage VPS for $5 a month, or 500gb for $7 (they go up to 2Tb for $28).

      Never had an issue with them.
      https://vpsdime.com/

    Sign In or Register to comment.