Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which of these two dedis would you keep?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which of these two dedis would you keep?

I have two dedicated servers, but I am only using one. Invoices are due soon for both and I need to decide which one to keep. What would you do?

Server 1:
HP BL460C Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB
I am not really using all the RAM, although that may change.

Server 2:
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, 8GB, 1TB
I am not using most of the HDD.

They are both the same price.

Share your opinion.
  1. Which server should I keep?76 votes
    1. Server 1
      48.68%
    2. Server 2
      51.32%

Comments

• zevuszevus Member
    edited August 2014

Server 1, if you really think you may use the RAM in the future... x5150 per core performance is horrible

Server 2, if you really don't think you may use the RAM in the future.. the HDD is probably faster as well. Maybe benchmark those. (*it also has 3x the L2 cache and is the obvious choice if VT-d is of any importance)

• Server 2 has a much better CPU, you could always potentially add little more ram if needed later.

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited August 2014

how much are they? would you mind telling me who the host is for Server 2?

• wychwych Member
    edited August 2014

Box one with Delimiter?

• elwebmasterelwebmaster Member
    edited August 2014

@Ruriko said:
    how much are they? would you mind telling me who the host is for Server 2?

They are $20/month each. For Server2 the host is Turnkey Internet, it was one of their BlackFriday sales, and they also gave me the 1TB drive out of goodwill. Great company to deal with and excellent network.

Server1 is with Delimeter, also good experience with them.

I am very torn honestly. Performance of both servers is great, I don't know if or how my requirements may change. I wish it were cheaper to register a company where I live then I could offer LES type deal on one of them to hedge against requirements changing.

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited August 2014

Server 2 has better potential than server 1 because of better Cpu and Hdd. Ram would not come in use unless you need more i/o

• Comments say Server 2 But Vote says Server 1. Lol?

• wychwych Member

@elwebmaster said:
    Great company to deal with and excellent network.

Lol, guess you never had a DDoS attack at Turnkey.

• There is no question, you have to keep server 1. What sort of question is this ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Chuck said:
    Comments say Server 2 But Vote says Server 1. Lol?

Well,I think only people who understand what they say comment, but everybody votes :P

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited August 2014

@wych:

what's the problem with a DDOS attack at Turnkeyinternet ? I guess they will null route your IP ?

• wychwych Member

@wlambrechts said:
    wych:

what's the problem with a DDOS attack at Turnkeyinternet ? I guess they will null route your IP ?

Baby attack. Nulled and asked to leave with a corrupt backup.

Thanked by 1elwebmaster
  • I guess you should go with the second server since it has more power and you don't need that much of Ram and Ram can always be upgraded but not the processor. So it only makes sense to retain the second server.

• You need to look at the whole package:

The Delimiter X5150 - has gigabit port, dedicated KVM/ILO and is an enterprise server

The other appears to have no IPMI/KVM, 100Mbps port and could be anything.

Personally for me, I would not even consider a server without a dedicated KVM because so many times a kernel update/recompile has prevented my server rebooting. With the KVM I can just fix that on the fly rather than waiting for someone to do it for me.

• how much traffic or bandwidth??

• I believe the Black Friday special with TKI (Turnkey Internet) has only a 10Mbps port, whereas Delimiter is 1Gbps. It depends on what its used for, but if it was me, I would stick with Delimiter. I've been with TKI and am currently a customer with Delimiter. For the money, I found Delimiter to be better. There's also a stupid business continuity fee for TKI, so if tomorrow they decide to go belly up, your SOL cause you didn't pay it. I also noticed TKI doesn't seem to have as much as a presence on here and WHT like Delimiter has.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2014

My initial reaction would be server #2 because of the CPU, but this is a hard question to answer without knowing how much you're paying for each. If, say, one server costs substantially more than the other, that should decide it there.

• of course Delimiter

Thanked by 1MarkTurner