Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More than 50% down time for Byteonsite storage server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

More than 50% down time for Byteonsite storage server

I bought a Byteonsite storage early July. For less than two months, the sever never has the performance it should be. On their Ads here, we are suppose to be on a 1Gbps port. However the downstream speed is always less than 10Mbps. The HD IO is really bad that I can never upload my data to the server - it's like copying to a 1.44 floppy drive...
Not mentioning a full offline for several days and lost all the data.
Submitted a ticket asking for a refund, no one reply for 24 hours. Think twice before ordering.

Comments

• Wow. Surprise, surprise...

• mmmh, it seems that you just registered recently to post this :-)
    However, I can confirm that most of the time at ByteOnSite are data lost, off-line nodes and nearly cannot download data from the node. Some members here also contacted me to share experience and it seems everyone has been facing the same problem. I also tried to contact them via ticket / email but there is no reply more than 10 days. So, just give up.

• Well, I searched around before ordering, didn't see much complain on them. No complain even on their Ads. They replied me ticket/pretty fast for the first several days though. Submitting dispute to the credit card... finger crossed

@nhocconan said:
    mmmh, it seems that you just registered recently to post this :-)
    However, I can confirm that most of the time at ByteOnSite are data lost, off-line nodes and nearly cannot download data from the node. Some members here also contacted me to share experience and it seems everyone has been facing the same problem. I also tried to contact them via ticket / email but there is no reply more than 10 days. So, just give up.

• @0xdragon said:
    Wow. Surprise, surprise...

Surprise to me as well... but don't want to surprise anyone else anymore.

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited August 2014

I can confirm that one of our storage systems has been acting up. We have been fairly transparent with customers during the issues. One of the used storage systems we purchased, from a fairly well-known company here actually, seems to have been damaged which has created a large hassle for us and is not representative of our standard service. We did not find out until after it was being used heavily for a consistent period of time but the RAID card appears to be broken dropping hard drives randomly. We had thought the problem had been the power supply but even after replacement, the server has continued to give us problems.

First we had a hardware RAID5 setup mirroring the block devices over the network, essentially a hardware RAID5+ Network RAID1 (RAID51). However, when the hardware RAID5 failed, caused by a bunch of hard drives randomly dropping on and off from the RAID, the system started misplacing data and corrupted data on the block devices. This caused a long period of outage for our users as the array was quite large.

While rushing to get a new system online for users so we could preserve data to run recovery on it, we loaded a temporary server, but in our haste the server was not properly tested/configured and was very slow once the array started to fill up.

During this time we offered an explanation to customers about what happened and planned for the future. We decided to move to a software RAID6 on all servers to avoid hardware RAID problems and change our network mirror to filesystem level. We provided this diagram to help explain our setup, essentially a network RAID61: https://www.byteonsite.com/StorageNetwork.pdf. We first set this up on the damaged server after we replaced the power supply and ran testing for a week before we started moving servers back over to help alleviate the speed problems caused by the temporary server. However, it seems that a couple days after the we moved all the data over and before all the data had properly synced up over the network the RAID card acted up again dropping 5 hard drives from the array making the system appear it had failed. We were able to reboot and re-establish the array manually but the software had to rescan the disks which took about 15 hours.

We informed all users that we were replacing this server for good as soon as the mirror was synced up which hopefully will be done within 24 hours.

• @vdnet said:
    I can confirm that one of our storage systems has been acting up. We have been fairly transparent with customers during the issues. One of the used storage systems we purchased, from a fairly well-known company here actually, seems to have been damaged which has created a large hassle for us and is not representative of our standard service. We did not find out until after it was being used heavily for a consistent period of time but the RAID card appears to be broken dropping hard drives randomly. We had thought the problem had been the power supply but even after replacement, the server has continued to give us problems.

We informed all users that we were replacing this server for good as soon as the mirror was synced up which hopefully will be done within 24 hours.

First, I never got email that you were replacing the server recently. If you are referring to the email on Aug. 1, that was almost 1 month ago. The server is still down right now, the panel is not accessible, my service monitor shows more than 50% down time. No one reply to the email/ticket. I am tired play with it. Please issue the refund.

• The system has been crashing on us while we are trying to transfer data off of it so I'm sure it is going up and down right now. I am sorry if you did not receive an email about the current situation, I'm not sure how your monitor is setup or when, but the monthly availability should be far greater than 50%, but yes, the first issues with this server was the beginning of August.

We have been focusing on active support tickets. The billing ticket will be handled in due time. Please be patient.

• @vdnet said:
    The system has been crashing on us while we are trying to transfer data off of it so I'm sure it is going up and down right now. I am sorry if you did not receive an email about the current situation, I'm not sure how your monitor is setup or when, but the monthly availability should be far greater than 50%, but yes, the first issues with this server was the beginning of August.

We have been focusing on active support tickets. The billing ticket will be handled in due time. Please be patient.

Well, it's just a backup server for me. I didn't monitor it until I found it's offline all the time. The monitor starts on July 31, monitoring SSH port since I don't have http service on it. And shows 49.67% up time. Even during the up time, the response time is often more than 200ms. All my other servers have up time of greater than 99.5%.

• No stable service/reply/refund till now. Let's see how it goes.

• Open a PayPal dispute, That'll wake them up.

• @nexmark said:
    Open a PayPal dispute, That'll wake them up.

Update: Opened paypal dispute last week, no reply till now. Besides, the server is down for over the past 60 hours.

• The server was offline because you put in a cancellation request and the techs took it offline. Other systems have been back fully online since the ~29th with some background transfers of data in progress.

I have updated your ticket. I checked PayPal and it auto-closed your dispute because it was opened after 45 days. This isn't an issue. We will grant you a full refund as requested due to the issues with this server.

Filing a PayPal dispute does not speed anything up, we have a system for handling refund requests. We aren't a fly by night host that won't honor refunds.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Inb4 CVPS buys this host.....

Thanked by 3Nekki Pwner netomx
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Inb4 CVPS buys this host.....

Ha!

• AnthonySmith said: Inb4 CVPS buys this host.....

We've been around for 8 years coming this October. Definitely not in the position to be purchased up.

• I have been using virtual machine for over 7 years, this is the worst company I ever dealt with.

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited September 2014

jacobhere said: I have been using virtual machine for over 7 years, this is the worst company I ever dealt with.

I'm sorry you feel this way. We have tried be to open in this process although I admit replies were delayed. Now the refund has been delayed because we have to go through your bank since you opened a chargeback. You decided to open a chargeback instead of waiting patiently for a response and refund from us as I had asked in my first reply. Chargebacks cost us money and time as we have to now deal with your bank instead of just sending you the money directly.

As I explained, the issues were only on one server and it was unfortunate that the issues occurred were prolonged over one month. We have adjusted our system to prevent this from happening again and now have many clients that were on the same server you were on using their service on a different SAN without any issues and they have been awarded the 3 free months as promised.