Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[BUYING] Used Servers - Deliver UK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[BUYING] Used Servers - Deliver UK

VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
edited June 2012 in General

Hey guys .. budget is roughly £300/$500. Main preference is on large amounts of RAM. Dual Xeon preferable. Needs to be able to be shipped to UK within budget.

Anyone got anything for me :)?

Cheers

PS: Please state rough amp usage if possible :)

Comments

• Where bwts in uk?

• TaylorTaylor Member

I will be going through all offers and slightly out bidding Liam if I like them.

Thanks

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@DanielM Matlock, Derbyshire.. or Lincoln. Whichever works out cheaper.

@Taylor lmao thanks :P

• JacobJacob Member

Preference of CPU?, What amount of ram?

• jhjh Member

I'll advise you against this. Used equipment in that sort of price range is prone to breaking down.

@Jacob quad core Xeon.. dual processors preferably, but will accept single.

16GB+ RAM.. looking for 32GB if possible.

Thanks @jhadley I'll make sure I do some research between now and purchasing.

• @jhadley said: I'll advise you against this. Used equipment in that sort of price range is prone to breaking down.

Cmon james thats bs, its about who you get it from not the equipment itself.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@jhadley said: Used equipment in that sort of price range is prone to breaking down.

Im sure thats what you did with quality servers.....

Thanked by 1DanielM

Offers please guys.. try not to have an argument or derail (yet, at least).. got PM's fo' that

• jhjh Member

@Taylor said: Im sure thats what you did with quality servers.....

Yes that's why I'm advising against it!

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited June 2012

@jhadley said: Yes that's why I'm advising against it!

>

But what else could you of done? You couldnt afford new and if you didnt do that im certain you would not have gone on to the ukcloud etc host your clients on a HP micro server lol?

• jhjh Member

@Taylor said: But what else could you of done? You couldnt afford new and if you didnt do that im certain you would not have gone on to the ukcloud etc

Go for quality rather than quantity. Start with one new server (or Dell's Outlet is probably ok) and buy more as you can afford it. Bulk buying rubbish is a really, really bad idea!

For example, for the OP, I would recommend buying an HP DL120 G7 or a Dell R210 II. Those servers are highly affordable. Sure they're single processor and you'll probably only get 16GB RAM in there but what's more important when it comes down to it?

@liam thanks will do :).

@jhadley @taylor - granted, something of low spec that will work is going to be better than higher spec but unreliable, considering a broken server is even more hassle than no server.

However, I would rather get the best machine I can from somebody with a good reputation in the community, as that will be more likely to be reliable than something from the likes of eBay.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @liamwithers

My advice is. dont take advice from those who's companies no longer exist or sold. Planly due to lack of funds etc.

Your alternative is to buy parts and make a 1U server. i have some custom machines and they work fine ::)

Thanked by 1Kairus
  • JacobJacob Member

I have not had any issues with buying used equipment, majority of the hardware I buy is used but then again I don't put any random unknown manufacturer in the server. RAM is HP, Drives are Seagate or soon to be Western Digital on the new nodes.

Just is Ideal to keep onsite spares of pretty much every single part. :-)

@jhadley said: I'll advise you against this. Used equipment in that sort of price range is prone to breaking down.

• JacobJacob Member

Get a 2U Chassis, Buy any desktop motherboard along with a CPU, Fit the stock cooler and then buy the PSU, Cables, HDs, RAM.

It's actually hard to find any cheap chassis in the UK, Most are £70+ so it's better to buy full builds rather then searching for each individual part.

I also don't recommend using desktop motherboards in production enviroments. :-)

@DanielM said: Your alternative is to buy parts and make a 1U server. i have some custom machines and they work fine ::)

• @Jacob said: I also don't recommend using desktop motherboards in production enviroments. :-)

Most cheap ISP's Do. Such as OVH, Volumedrive, Burstnet etc

• @DanielM said: Such as OVH

All of my OVH boxes are supermicro