Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server for becoming a VPS Seller
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server for becoming a VPS Seller

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy a dedicated server at a low enough cost to become a VPS seller? Based on the current market price, I would need 16 GB of RAM and at least 15 IPs for $50/mo.

-Heisenberg

Comments

• What are your hard drive / disk space requirements?

• Here is what I can offer you:

Intel Atom C2758 @ 2.41Ghz (8 PHYSICAL CORES)

2x 1TB Western Digital RE4 SATA II Drives, RAID-1

16GB DDR3 ECC Registered RAM

15TB Bandwidth, 1Gbit Dedicated Port

19 IPv4 Addresses (/29 + /28 subnets)

Buffalo, NY Location

for $50/month recurring. PM me if you would like this offer.

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited August 2014

@GVH_Jon said:
    We are the true unbeatable price host with a real price match guarantee.

Match this and I will rent you one: http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc

Processor Intel 1x Intel® C2750 (Avoton) 8 cores

Memory 8 GB DDR3 ECC

Storage 1 TB SATA3

€19.99 / month

You have the hardware, you only have to keep your word.

• @albertdb said:
    You have the hardware, you only have to keep your word.

You forgot the unmetered 1Gbit connectivity ;-)

• cool_dudecool_dude Member
    edited August 2014
  • @jnguyen said:
    Here is what I can offer you:

Intel Atom C2758 @ 2.41Ghz (8 PHYSICAL CORES)

2x 1TB Western Digital RE4 SATA II Drives, RAID-1

16GB DDR3 ECC Registered RAM

15TB Bandwidth, 1Gbit Dedicated Port

19 IPv4 Addresses (/29 + /28 subnets)

Buffalo, NY Location

for $50/month recurring. PM me if you would like this offer.

You have the "price match guarantee"? let's match this

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-kidechire

If you can match this, I will advertise it to some China forums and you will soon get 10000 customers

• Jnguyen's offer seems reasonable. OVH/Kimsufi seems reasonable too. So let's work with these numbers for a minute.

At $50/month for 19 IPs, I would be able to sell 18 VMs. So, in order to figure out a sale price per VM, let's compute the net cost.

$50 for dedicated server
    $10 for SolusVM license
    $10 for WHMCS Billing license

That's $70/mo. That means each of the 18 VMs must be bringing in at least $3.89 to sustain the business. And with the amount of RAM I have (16GB), I will be able to spare 666MB per VM.

And if I were to start selling a 666MB VPS for $3.89/mo (or $46.70/yr), I myself don't see that as a good price because I pay $15/year for a 512MB VM with two IPs!

So moral of the story is that, as low as the dedicated server pricing may be with Kimsufi/OVH, the VPS sellers on LEB are using a service that costs even less. How do I find out what they are using?

If I were to go to a data center a pay for colocation of a 1U server. I'd still have to pay $70/mo for power and network, and them $100/mo for fibre internet. That's $170/mo! And I still need to pay for the actual hardware which I could get for $500 (off-lease).

• @lewissue said:
    If you can match this, I will advertise it to some China forums and you will soon get 10000 customers

That Dedicated Servers I see on online.net provide 1 IP only. I can't use for hosting a VPS business. So it's not comparable... unless I'm seeing the wrong package.

• akzakz Member

@Heisenberg said:
    I can't use for hosting a VPS business. So it's not comparable...

you cant use GVH for business PERIOD.

• akz said: you cant use GVH for business PERIOD.

But if you insisted, try it for 3 months first.

• @Heisenberg said:
    So moral of the story is that, as low as the dedicated server pricing may be with Kimsufi/OVH, the VPS sellers on LEB are using a service that costs even less. How do I find out what they are using?

1. You forgot the power of overselling.
    2. They plan ahead and not relying on one month and one host node calculation.
    3. They are prepared to suffer from losses on the first few months/year.
    4. As the business grow, additional host node would cost less. Ex: you don't need additional WHMCS license, and SolusVM slave license is cheaper.
    5. They dare not to follow the race to the bottom, it's just too mainstream.
  • akzakz Member

@Noerman said:

you can, but why waste 3 months time?

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited August 2014

Heisenberg said: And if I were to start selling a 666MB VPS for $3.89/mo (or $46.70/yr), I myself don't see that as a good price because I pay $15/year for a 512MB VM with two IPs!

It's just crazy amounts of overselling over there on the low price points. Also with a larger server you can sort of put more in. Most hosts don't get a tiny server.

• jbarrjbarr Member
    edited August 2014

Um, "price match" means that if you have an advertised offer and find the same offer elsewhere for less, the price on the first will be matched to the lower price of second. It doesn't mean that if you find some other different offer elsewhere, that the first company has to arbitrarily match the second offer even if it doesn't match its advertised offer.

Apples to apples.

Thanked by 2hostnoob Chronic
  • @jbarr said:
    Um, "price match" means that if you have an advertised offer and find the same offer elsewhere for less, the price on the first will be matched to the lower price of second. It doesn't mean that if you find some other different offer elsewhere, that the first company has to arbitrarily match the second offer even if it doesn't match its advertised offer.

Apples to apples.

It's surprising how many people choose to overlook this most obvious consideration.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @DalComp said:
    1. You forgot the power of overselling.

If I oversell, wouldn't I get in trouble. I would end up having VMs hitting the hard drive for RAM? Plus, I would need more IPs as well.

• OffshoreasiaOffshoreasia Member
    edited August 2014

Don't forget tax ;) , a server admin, a customers support, time you spend for. If you want to make a decent income and provide a stable service you have to spend 1 time a little bit more.

• So, it looks like the general consensus here is that, the ultra low rates that we all see at LEB are just to lure customers in so that they can buy a more expensive VPS? A VPS that pays for itself and the tiny VMs that are sold below cost? Did I get that right?

• Learn the technical aspects of virtualization first. Then you can worry about selling.

Thanked by 3Dylan Mark_R vimalware
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2014

@Heisenberg said:
    So, it looks like the general consensus here is that, the ultra low rates that we all see at LEB are just to lure customers in so that they can buy a more expensive VPS? A VPS that pays for itself and the tiny VMs that are sold below cost? Did I get that right?

These cheap servers are for people who need a dedicated CPU and RAM/HDD. The providers offering super cheap plans will have monster nodes they built themselves and just pay for colo, so their only monthly outgoing costs (hardware-wise) will be power and bandwidth I guess (and replacing HW depending how (un)lucky they are.

Plus some will be living at home rent-free, and some are one-man teams, so that's not even taking rent and staff costs into account.

You have to be prepared to make a loss at first

• OffshoreasiaOffshoreasia Member
    edited August 2014

@Heisenberg said:
    So, it looks like the general consensus here is that, the ultra low rates that we all see at LEB are just to lure customers in so that they can buy a more expensive VPS? A VPS that pays for itself and the tiny VMs that are sold below cost? Did I get that right?

No, absolute not. I depends on what you want to do with. Lowcost VPS are perfect to host own or customer websites. For several services like vpn, own picture hosters, a facebook or twitter copy. If you look out for your own shared hosting reseller server, with ZPanel or CPanel, these are perfect.

You can start a VPS Reseller testing with these as well. But have in mind if you want to open a real VPS Reseller you need bigger ones.

• @Heisenberg said:
    If I oversell, wouldn't I get in trouble. I would end up having VMs hitting the hard drive for RAM? Plus, I would need more IPs as well.

Overselling is fine if you can manage it well, and of course don't oversell so much that it would negatively impact your customers.

If you look at bigger server configurations, for example GetDedi's L5630 with 72GB RAM, you will have lower price per GB of RAM ratio. Though in a server with a lot of VPSes, most likely disk I/O would be the issue.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • OP. Honestly, your budget is unrealistic. If you want a good server so you can offer a decent service, $50.00 is not even a remotely reasonable budget.

For $50.00, you'll probably end up with an EOL CPU and low-I/O Drives... The results will not be satisfactory.

• I offered you an extremely good deal, I mean you won't find anything better in the U.S to be honest.

• edanedan Member

Try SoYouStart. They give you 16 free IPs.

• jnguyen said: I offered you an extremely good deal, I mean you won't find anything better in the U.S to be honest.

Maybe OP is a bit skeptical since he may have read the reviews on GVH here on LET :-)

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Maybe OP is a bit skeptical since he may have read the reviews on GVH here on LET :-)

Our dedicated server hosting services have a 100% positive approval rating for performance.

• jnguyen said: Our dedicated server hosting services have a 100% positive approval rating for performance.

Well, I'm assuming you're either reselling or colocating with ColoCrossing. I can definitely vouch for the uptime and performance of their datacenters. If OP takes on your offer, than everybody wins I guess :)

• loydloyd Member
    edited August 2014

I am a VPS buyer not a reseller, but as businessman I think trick is in combination of powerfull server (RAM/HDD, cores, GHz, get cheaper with quantity), then carefully oversell. I hardly spend 3-10% of my allocated resources but they are available to me when needed, so I get advantage of several cores for few minutes a day without penalty of paying for them full time. As long as you rent space to people like me and keep abusers out, you can easily oversell 1:10 perhaps even more.

• @serverian said:
    Learn the technical aspects of virtualization first. Then you can worry about selling.

I can set up OpenVZ with SolusVM, I haven't had any problem doing that