Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important is SSL to you guys?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How important is SSL to you guys?

Hey guys,I was wondering, if you see a billing site not having SSL, will you not care and continue to buy, contact support and tell them to implement it and wait til they do or just totally not buy?

What will you do?
  1. What will you do?83 votes
    1. Don't care and still buy
      10.84%
    2. Contact Support, wait for them to implement it then buy
        8.43%
    3. Don't buy at all.
      80.72%

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

From a host's perspective, I can tell you that a lot of sales will not go through. People want to feel secure, before they buy.

Yes, you will still get those who still buy with no SSL, and you will get those who will wait, and you will even get those who do not do business with you too.

• I would definitely not buy from the host. I have little faith and trust in companies that can't/won't implement even the most basic security features that are needed to send sensitive information over the internet.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

If a provider cannot afford to spend $10 on security then they have even bigger problems that potential clients cannot see.

Thanked by 3rm_ lhobas MonsteR
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

80% Vote for "Don't buy at all" means they are bloggers or running a normal website for hobby.

SSL is only required for processing a important data like credit card, bank login, protecting client data, etc.

• problem is not host,

problem is you, people who cares secure and private data definitely not gonna buy anything without ssl.

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    80% Vote for "Don't buy at all" means they are bloggers or running a normal website for hobby.

SSL is only required for processing a important data like credit card, bank login, protecting client data, etc.

I would count billing/client access among those things needing SSL.

If a provider doesn't use SSL for those things, I'd go elsewhere.

• Any site that wants to sell me something should have HTTPS in its login area and cart pages.

• I will simply close the providers' websites if they do not implement SSL or using an expired / self-signed SSLs.

• MrXMrX Member

No SSL, no sale.

• For each site using SSL, I also check what kind of their ssl type. Is it RapidSSL/PositiveSSL/AlphaSSL or maybe EV

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

ErawanArifNugroho said: For each site using SSL, I also check what kind of their ssl type. Is it RapidSSL/PositiveSSL/AlphaSSL or maybe EV

Hm, what does it matter (between the first three)?

• Just a question, what if they use a StartSSL Class 1 certificate? Would you buy?

• @Gadelhas said:
    Just a question, what if they use a StartSSL Class 1 certificate? Would you buy?

I remember the free StartSSL one does not allow to use in ecommerce / billing sites.

• Gadelhas said: Just a question, what if they use a StartSSL Class 1 certificate? Would you buy?

no for sure :P, why ? because they got it for free!

• @nhocconan said:
    I remember the free StartSSL one does not allow to use in ecommerce / billing sites.

Yeah, but would StartSSL, verify every website that registered a cert with them?

• @Gadelhas said:
    Yeah, but would StartSSL, verify every website that registered a cert with them?

Lol, I think they might. I tried to include a url with billing in the url and they manually verify it :-) However StartSSL' certificates browser compatibility are not as good as others.

• Gadelhas said: Yeah, but would StartSSL, verify every website that registered a cert with them?

That policy mainly protects them in court or in the insurance systems. Anything bad happens - the root certificate is compromised - StartSSL has no liability if money was lost. I doubt they would care, just if push comes to shove they want out.

• I would avoid purchasing, but not over security concerns since payment is often made via PayPal etc. If the host can't bother to implement SSL, or integrate WHMCS with their website, then I don't want to know.

Other trivial things irritate me too like product descriptions on a providers website differentiating between that of WHMCS, dead links, no information on DC location/specification etc.

• Lately, Namecheap has partnered up with EFF and offered PositiveSSL certs for $1.99. If a host can't afford that, and pretends wanting to handle sensitive data from his clients - nope, nope, nope.

• If a hosting company really cares about data privacy they should ! use TLS with a valid certificate. And SSL cert aren't that expensive so I don't even understand why I see some whmcs installs without ssl lol.

• perennate said: Hm, what does it matter (between the first three)?

I want to know which one the most famous/most used for website, so I can also compare it, not only from the price, but also the most usage :)

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @Gadelhas said:

I honestly would not care if i'm paying with PayPal, what SSL certificate it is.

If the provider is handling card information over their own servers, and does not have a trusted SSL certificate, that's where I draw the line (I really try to use PayPal when possible).