Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN setup

Im looking to setup a private vpn.

I would like to here any tips on what linux to use ,machine requirements and providers you like.

Comments

• Do you have any existing experience with Linux?

• I have used Debian,Ubuntu, and Centos

• OpenVPN or SoftEther VPN.

• Debian 32-bit with OpenVPN. If it's just you using it, you could probably get away with using a 32 MB of RAM machine.

• I found OpenVPN the easiest to set up.

• @JustAMacUser said:
    Debian 32-bit with OpenVPN. If it's just you using it, you could probably get away with using a 32 MB of RAM machine.

1 connection?

• if it's something you want to be able to pierce through firewalls or get something custom, i'd say softether (i use it...)... just don't use securenat...

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited August 2014

@Chuck said:
    1 connection?

Our OpenVPN-scrap appliance (meant for one time use) for internal networks runs on 32 MB of RAM and is a minimal installation of ArchLinux (manually installed of course.) No swap, no var, no logs; single user created for a single connection, auto-destroy after use.

It only uses about 20M of RAM, and that's only if you turn on compression.

Shorewall is what takes up most of the RAM.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @GoodHosting said:
    Shorewall is what takes up most of the RAM.

If you released that, I bet it would be incredibly useful for people who need just a temporary VPN.

• @0xdragon said:
    If you released that, I bet it would be incredibly useful for people who need just a temporary VPN.

We're looking into starting our own TDN actually, for KVM; both Xens, and OpenVZ (when extracted into a Ploop container, for the few appliances that don't require kernel support; like nginx, MMM, etcetera.)

• @Chuck said:
    1 connection?

Debian 7 32-bit on OpenVZ, yeah; it runs pretty light. (Not that it matters, a lot of good providers here have 128 MB systems that are pretty affordable. Definitely can do a lot with that.)

• I had a debian server that ran in 10mb memory so that sounds like the distro I'll use then.
    I was mainly setting up so could use with phone over public wifi.
    i seen alienvps has a 19.00 a year vps . I might try that.

• @IronRook said:
    I had a debian server that ran in 10mb memory so that sounds like the distro I'll use then.
    I was mainly setting up so could use with phone over public wifi.
    i seen alienvps has a 19.00 a year vps . I might try that.

I'd be careful with alienVPS, had a friend who used one of their VPS plans, long story short i bet him it wouldnt be stable so i chucked it up on a pingdom and within one month uptime was 97%, 149 outages and each outage was 3-9 minutes.

You'd probably be better off grabbing a openVZ ramnode plan($15 yr 128MB)

on another note i've used Debian + softether and that plus a Teamspeak 3 server and usage was usally 60-70MB.

• @Rhys_quadex said:
    You'd probably be better off grabbing a openVZ ramnode plan($15 yr 128MB)

+1 for RamNode. I'm using one their 128 MB OpenVZ SSD instances for OpenVPN and it runs awesome.

• Surprised nobody has mentioned Wable. Personally havent used them but many here give them good reviews. 75cents a month for 1TB.
    https://www.wable.com

• Just get a LES for $4 a year. Not sure how easy to set up SoftEther with NAT?

• @Chuck said:
    Just get a LES for $4 a year. Not sure how easy to set up SoftEther with NAT?

really easy, just install SE, create dhcp server & add a network device and bam done!

• @kuzko said:

really easy, just install SE, create dhcp server & add a network device and bam done!

SecureNAT is easy. I can't get NAT IPv4 to work in Local Bridge.