Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

END USERS: XEN PV or HVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

END USERS: XEN PV or HVM?

MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

Good Morning LET!

So this is kind of a sub discussion relating to my other thread, END USERS: The Great KVM vs XEN vs OpenVZ Debate.

Which Xen version would you rather on a machine, PV or HVM? We are leaning towards HVM since we offer Windows on our machines as well but would like to hear arguments both for and against each of them. Would prefer to hear form end users but providers, feel free to chime in as well.

Thanks!

The Great Xen Debate!
  1. Xen PV or Xen HVM?10 votes
    1. Xen HVM
      70.00%
    2. XEN PV
      30.00%

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

If you want to offer Windows then HVM it is, from a performance perspective I assure you PV destroys HVM any day, obviously everyone learns from their own mistakes but my advice is that if you intend to offer Xen then use both PV and HVM on the same node, PV for Linux and HVM for everything else.

If you only planned to use HVM then it would be silly and you should just use KVM.

Thanked by 1MeanServers
  • Can someone give me/us a run down synopsis on the differences please?

• iSidleiSidle Member
    edited August 2014

There's also the PV-On-HVM drivers, which offers the greatest of both, but unfortunatley the panels don't support this. Although the linux kernel does.

Thanked by 1MeanServers
  • I support you using XEN PV

• wychwych Member

Why the hell didnt you add this to your first thread?

• @wych said:
    Why the hell didnt you add this to your first thread?

I think this could be a separate thread. You think?

Thanked by 1MeanServers
  • wychwych Member

@hostqz said:
    I think this could be a separate thread. You think?

No, I think its a tactic of spamming and getting even more threads on page 1.

Reality; he opens a thread on different virtualization types, day later opens another.

Its not like this hasn't been discussed at length here in the past.

• AnthonySmith said: f you want to offer Windows then HVM it is, from a performance perspective I assure you PV destroys HVM any day, obviously everyone learns from their own mistakes but my advice is that if you intend to offer Xen then use both PV and HVM on the same node, PV for Linux and HVM for everything else.

If you only planned to use HVM then it would be silly and you should just use KVM.

This is all the advice you need!

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

we run pv, hvm and pvhvm on same nodes

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

@wych said:
    Its not like this hasn't been discussed at length here in the past.

It's not a tactic of spamming, I can assure you. I brought this up after someone asked in the original thread if PV or HVM should be used. Figured it was worthy of it's own thread.

@kcaj said:
    Can someone give me/us a run down synopsis on the differences please?

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/PV_on_HVM gives a pretty good comparison of the two

@Jack said:
    STOP SPAMMING.
    @Jack said:
    STOP SPAMMING.

The only one that seems to be spamming here is you. You keep saying this in every single one of my threads without adding to the discussion. Maybe you should conjure up some thoughts instead of being a troll?

• @Jack said:
    My thoughts of you are in the cest pit pal.

We have a confirmed burn on target!