Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can cpanel clients tell if its SSD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can cpanel clients tell if its SSD

I'v heard there is not much difference when it comes to site load time. But SSDs have become a good sales pitch.

I want to know is there anyway for cpanel clients to know what disk technology is being used in the server. I reckon some web hosting companies might be just lying about it and be using it as a false sales pitch to get more clients considering the high prices of SSDs.

Comments

• Not without root access. You'd need to run fdisk -l to see the list of drives and then do this:

cat /sys/block//queue/rotational

The result is either 0 or 1. 0 = SSD and 1 = HDD

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2014

Any provider who doesn't follow a transparency policy, is a provider you shouldn't rely on.

You can indeed notice the difference mostly in the webpage/cPanel load times and MySQL (or MariaDB) performance, if we're talking about cPanel, though.
    Test both environments, HDD and SSD, I'm sure you'll notice the differences. :-)

• The difference is certainly noticeable, unless you're overloading your server so much that it's not. I've found a good SSD cache to be more useful with Shared hosting than pure SSD as most files are not accessed very often.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited August 2014

To me I would rather prefer HW RAID over SSD's, More bang for your buck (storage and cost)

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @nexmark said:
    To me I would rather prefer HW RAID over SSD's, More bang for your buck (storage and cost)

But that would still suck in IOPS.

• wychwych Member

@nexmark said:

SSD in HW RAID is where its at.

• @TheRedFox said:

That depends on the server. An HDD with an average IOPS would do just fine.

• @TheRedFox said:

It honestly depends, we are able to push 30,000 write IOPs in our RAID10 array in our new Chicago cluster. That's with 2x 32 HDD RAID10 arrays, mirrored storage nodes, served over 2x 10Ge fiber interconnect via iSCSI. We are using some pretty fancy proprietary caching software from HGST though.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

If you have shell access try running a benchmark file copy test with dd. If performance is below typical SSD marks, then regardless of whether or not you have an SSD, you're not getting SSD performance.