Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fraud Record
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fraud Record

MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

We began using Fraud Record today and it has already caught a few people that we declined accounts for originally. We are still debating whether we should use it fully and submit reports or not.

As a host, what is your experience with Fraud Record? Do you have any insights? Do you think it's a useful tool to use? Has it been wrong about clients you ended up accepting or do you feel it is usually right?

Any comments about Fraud Record would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited August 2014

In my experience, I have not disagreed with anything that comes in on Fraud Record, its rather useful for providers to keep up on spammers and abusive clients. I prefer to submit quality feedback on my reports, so that Fraud Record remains useful. It's only as good as the data the providers feed it.

Edit: Removed extra useless word.

Thanked by 2MeanServers switsys
  • submit reports and if multiple reports from many providers for the same person,reject his orders

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@ftpit said:
    submit reports and if multiple reports from many providers for the same person,reject his orders

A single report will make me deny an order. I am that paranoid :P

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

@cncking2000 said:
    In my experience, I have not disagreed with anything that comes in on Fraud Record, its rather useful for providers to keep up on spammers and abusive clients. I prefer to submit quality feedback on my reports, so that Fraud Record remains useful. It's only as good as the data the providers that feed it.

Good advice, we will definitely keep this in mind when adding reports.

• What does Fraud Record do? Soft credit pull?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have used it since day 1, really good tool when used properly, there are sadly some hosts who abuse it i.e. if a customer requests a refund they feel the need to create a record for that or as one company here did file a fake report from spam just to get back at a customer they did not agree with.

9/10 times it is spot on though, the more it is used the better it gets, just use some common sense when deciding and you will be fine.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • AnthonySmith said: customer requests a refund they feel the need to create a record for that or as one company here did file a fake report from spam just to get back at a customer they did not agree with.

dohoho

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited August 2014

Oddly enough, I've yet to find a single person in FraudRecord that I was looking for, even clients that clearly should already be in there.

@GoodHosting said:
    Oddly enough, I've yet to find a single person in FraudRecord that I was looking for, even clients that clearly should already be in there.

We found one already, seemed pretty spot on too.

@Chuck said:
    What does Fraud Record do? Soft credit pull?

It's a platform for web hosts to use to report bad clients such as spammers, service abusers, those issuing chargebacks, etc. Just another tool for all of us to use to combat fraudsters.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Personally I don't like fraud record. Because I choose hosts that are less known (newer), sometimes they just report you for the hell of it with a bullshit description. Luckily I do have screenshots of tickets etc, but FraudRecord haven't replied to me after I sent it into their delisting email.

Thanked by 1MeanServers

@0xdragon said:
    Personally I don't like fraud record. Because I choose hosts that are less known (newer), sometimes they just report you for the hell of it with a bullshit description. Luckily I do have screenshots of tickets etc, but FraudRecord haven't replied to me after I sent it into their delisting email.
    @0xdragon said:
    Personally I don't like fraud record. Because I choose hosts that are less known (newer), sometimes they just report you for the hell of it with a bullshit description. Luckily I do have screenshots of tickets etc, but FraudRecord haven't replied to me after I sent it into their delisting email.

Good to know, will keep that in mind as well. Thanks!

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Base it off your needs - if you haven't had issues with chargebacks and other fraud yet, then it sounds like you don't need to implement FraudRecord. Spammers can usually be blocked by automatic monitoring of outgoing SMTP connection rates.

• Seems to be spot on for me.

• Maxmind is good enough for me.

• As both @cncking2000 and @AnthonySmith have said - try to use it with a little common sense.

If handled right it's a very useful 'tool' that will save you a lot of trouble.

• This is an example of a useful report. I wouldn't know any of this, "colorful", history without it.

https://www.fraudrecord.com/api/?showreport=90fec5b98cabb031

• both fraud record and maxmind sucks -- *if that system declining clients before they pay!

im from somewhere mostly people put on blacklist country, but hey not all people bad. i can live with that situation, but at least you need to respond.

some provider just close the order immediately even potential clients seek for answer, some still have believe, let me take some experience with ramnode, even my first order marked as fraud they respond very fast asking for legal id, thats fine as long as you have privacy policy. sending legal id solved they case.

correct me if im wrong, clients perspective.

• smansman Member

It's only as good as the amount of people who use it. The percentage of bad customers it has helped me catch has been very low. I don't tend to get very many anyways and they are usually obvious.

• Recently we are having new kind of philipine spammers

• @0xdragon said:

Correct. Some "one man show" hosts that don't like a customer for whatever reason, report them on FraudRecord. Unlike a credit report where you can get stuff taken off, FraudRecord doesn't seem to give a poop and won't take it off (or even reply to any emails).

• @ub3rstar said:
    Correct. Some "one man show" hosts that don't like a customer for whatever reason, report them on FraudRecord. Unlike a credit report where you can get stuff taken off, FraudRecord doesn't seem to give a poop and won't take it off (or even reply to any emails).

There are public cases where stuff gets taken off, I even participate in forum discussions.

However we get so many "I was wrongly reported, remove me!" emails that don't even include search terms to locate the reports, yet alone any type of proof for removal.

Type a good email and you'll get a response.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited August 2014

@ftpit said:
    Recently we are having new kind of philipine spammers

And the normal Indians, No offense to anyone.
    But what's with Philippines and India sending so much spam.

• seems like they're more reliable as confirmation rather than affirmation, though maybe some providers would prefer to steer clear of anyone who asked for a refund.

• @Harzem said:
    Type a good email and you'll get a response.

I typed a very descriptive email with all the data you need including reports, support tickets and descriptions.

• dnomdnom Member

nexmark said: And the normal Indians, No offense to anyone. But what's with Philippines and India sending so much spam.

Some of them are freelancers. They usually do the dirty work for their American/European clients. You can check on freelancing sites and find lot's of americans/europeans that needs bulk email addresses and some help on sending their marketing emails.

• @0xdragon said:
    I typed a very descriptive email with all the data you need including reports, support tickets and descriptions.

Turns out it was too descriptive. 6 links and 10 image attachments, Google decided it was probably spam and didn't even forward it. I'll reply this today.

Also i need to implement a spam filter exclusion.

That one was my bad, sorry.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think it is rather good. I rarely report anyone, must be really bad, like double dip refunds, chargeback 10 minutes after order, and they also must be providing some kind of data, asdfd type of "users" will never make it there, but wont get service either.

• wychwych Member

I read up on them and depending on the host/report type that is how we determine if we take the risk.

I agree with @AnthonySmith, certain reports pop up that you can see are BS from certain hosts.

• @Harzem said:

Thanks, I hope everything is sorted out :)