Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent inode limit for ovz vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent inode limit for ovz vps?

TazTaz Member
edited June 2012 in General

As per my question above, what would you consider to be an average standard or decent unidentified limit for ( obviously) ovz vps?

Comments

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

As a consumer, not a provider, is there really any performance interest in setting the inode limit to anything lower than (hard quota)/(disk sector size)?

• blackblack Member
    edited June 2012

From what I know, the number of inodes is fixed for an ext partition. So a client, could potentially eat up all the inodes without eating up a lot of space in the data sector. If this is true, then clients that are also using the partition would not be able to create new files.

• TazTaz Member

Without proper Inode limit, a single vps can eat up all the resource without hardly using any disk space. I have a decent limit up for a long time. But just checking what is the industry standard/limit for decent disk space lets say 25Gb.

• OpenVZ's new file system, ploop, actually solves this issue. Clients have their own file system, so can not use up your inode limit.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Daniel if only it was stable... :)

Thanked by 2MrAndroid maxexcloo
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited June 2012

I'd really like to use ploop too...

Regardless, on our most populated node, we're going to run out of disk space before inodes:

inodes:

Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb3            975437824 11403162 964034662    2% /vz

disk space:

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb3             3.6T  610G  2.8T  18% /vz

And that's with standard ext4 allocations

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Can't help with original question but @Damian how on earth have you got figures like that?

Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
    /dev/md1             35815424 1331787 34483637    4% /
    /dev/md2             36634624 6747167 29887457   19% /data

vs...

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/md1              133G   84G   43G  67% /
    /dev/md2              276G  229G   33G  88% /data

• DamianDamian Member

@Oliver: Our filesystem is quite a bit larger than your filesystem, so it's not that unusual I guess

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Hah my bad, I read your things around the wrong way... Thought you had 2% of the disk used and 18% of the inodes.

facepalm