Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World's Smallest Datacenter
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

World's Smallest Datacenter

seikanseikan Member
edited August 2014 in General

Saw this project on KickStarter.

http://kck.st/1tnFVAL

Any providers going to back them?

Thanked by 2ehab jmginer

Comments

• Seems like a big box of lego or mecano will do the same for less money and more fun?

Thanked by 2Infinity geekalot
  • What's the new here? There are providers here in LET that are using RPi's in production / renting them...

• Would be nice if someone implemented liquid cooling or water cooling, However I guess it's not needed since they're tiny and that fan would do fine.

• It's not really a data center is it? It's a bunch of servers. If I have a bunch of servers sitting at home it's not called a data center.

• @concerto49 said:
    It's not really a data center is it? It's a bunch of servers. If I have a bunch of servers sitting at home it's not called a data center.

Yeah at most, you can call it a home lab.

• You can't play with it at home. Because some ISP only give 300gb a month.

• @Chuck said:
    You can't play with it at home. Because some ISP only give 300gb a month.

Wrong, not all countries do that. Here in Holland they don't have a data limit

• LexLex Member

Same in Romania with some ISPs, for example, I can get 1gbps for ~15$/month no data limit also.

• joodle said: Wrong, not all countries do that. Here in Holland they don't have a data limit

Have you actually tried it?

• wychwych Member

@concerto49 said:
    Have you actually tried it?

Im in the UK and don't get data transfer limits or throttled. Just sayin'

• edited August 2014

@joodle said:
    Wrong, not all countries do that. Here in the Netherlands they don't have a data limit

True, but according to the ToS of the services it's forbidden to utilize a customer product for business things. At some services, even hosting a gameserver is illegal (on paper that is). They'll likely put a crosshair on you when ~10+ TB per month goes through your cable. That number just an assumption, I don't want to test that out.

From the other side, you don't want to use customer plans for services to sell. You don't have any SLA for a guaranteed internet connection and related things.

• wych said: Im in the UK and don't get data transfer limits or throttled. Just sayin'

Again, have you tried it? I know lots of places that say unlimited and then once you do a lot - we're talking about running "data center" so 100TB+ they will kick you out.

• ztecztec Member

@matrixismyname said:
    Same in Romania with some ISPs, for example, I can get 1gbps for ~15$/month no data limit also.

Wow wtf $15,- for 1gbit? What's the most common income / month there?

• my basement is the world smallest datacenter

• The most important part of a data center is not how to put many servers in small space. it is the power infrastructure, including UPS systems and generators, and the cooling infrastructure. Densely packing servers is the easy part.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I have a server under my bed, does fbat count?

• wychwych Member

@concerto49 said:
    Again, have you tried it? I know lots of places that say unlimited and then once you do a lot - we're talking about running "data center" so 100TB+ they will kick you out.

Haha rest assured I would not be using my home connection in that way (upload would get eaten after a single box with decent traffic.

But yes I have pulled my link speed down for nearly a whole month with no issues before now.

• @matrixismyname said:

In my country ~$15 only for 1-3mbps a month.

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

hashwaltz said: In my country ~$15 only for 1-3mbps a month.

Indonesia, right ?

• @jenok said:
    Indonesia, right ?

Malaysian unmetered speed -
    4 mbps = $50/month
    25mbps = $80/month

• @matrixismyname said:

I pay £25/mo including line rental for 3mbp/s :-( i need to migrate over there..

• @wych said:
    But yes I have pulled my link speed down for nearly a whole month with no issues before now.

Sky?

• I have 50 down / 7 up UNLIMITED here for 65$

• i pay $45 2mbps download and 75mbps upload local + 2mbps upload international

• @FredQc said:
    I have 50 down / 7 up UNLIMITED here for 65$

Where??

• i have 100gb limit. 18mbit down 1.5mbit up for $88 with unlimited home phone usage...
    bit of an upgrade from the 1.5mbit down 128kbit up for $110 unlimited...

gotta say.. worth the 700km move to get that speed. lol..

• 100 down / 20 up for 25€ in Hamburg/Germany

• jEpjEp Member

100/50 unlimited 12€/month

• $80 a month for 100GB @ 3-5mbit.

• @jEp said:
    100/50 unlimited 12€/month

Damn. Where?