Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nodewatch Modification
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nodewatch Modification

Hello,

I would like to make my nodewatch not only email me but POST to a PHP script or something similar, I wanted to check the code and it is encrypted and I really don't have the time to decrypt it as I don't have the tools to do it while I am on the move.

Is anyone aware of a script or atleast the details to allow me to do this myself? I did email the dev but I have not received a response as of yet.

Comments

• You are not able to do that.

• serverian said: You are not able to do that.

That sucks, I was hoping I could just edit his script somehow.

• Do people really use webhooks?

• wojons said: Do people really use webhooks?

Yes, I thought it would be useful for an idea I had.

• As a workaround, you can use mandrill/mailgun, set an incoming email and set it to post to your PHP file, you can then process that notification email.

• @rethinkvps said:

if i may ask what was the feature i been working on a monitoring application and been debating to add webhooks or not into the alerting system.

• @wojons said:

@wojons: Webhooks at the very least it would let you really make good use of Rage4 DNS failover capabilities. I have been using UptimeRobot to do it but it only goes down to 5 minutes. I was working on my own script so I can get it down to 2 minutes.

• @geekalot said:

that is something i can consider and pushing to do it sooner then later.

• @wojons said:
    that is something i can consider and pushing to do it sooner then later.

IMHO you want as much external/notification capabilities as possible. Check out UptimeRobot's dashboard, they have quite a few methods that cover many notification bases.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

One thing you could do is pipe your email to a script which performs the POST. For example, in Postfix you can edit aliases (the email contents will be sent to the script):

contact-user: |/path/to/your/script
  • @geekalot said:
    IMHO you want as much external/notification capabilities as possible. Check out UptimeRobot's dashboard, they have quite a few methods that cover many notification bases.

Thanks for the advice i use there service so i should check it out again.

• Other grey-area option is to decrypt the php scripts and modify them. However I can say they are definitely PHP4 style and use zero OOP.

• jhjh Member
    edited August 2014

You're free to modify this instead:
    https://github.com/LoadingDeck/Monitoring

It's not quite the same but better than starting from 0 and actually legal.

• @jhadley said:
    You're free to modify this instead:
    https://github.com/LoadingDeck/Monitoring

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

The best way to do this ATM is to parse /var/log/nodewatch_events.log
    Custom hooks are planned