Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

END USERS: The Great KVM vs XEN vs OpenVZ Debate
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

END USERS: The Great KVM vs XEN vs OpenVZ Debate

MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep
edited August 2014 in General

Maybe this topic has been beaten to death before many times but we are curious to see what everyone thinks about the subject at the moment.

Which visualization technology do you prefer, KVM, XEN or OpenVZ and why? Ideally, we would like to hear from END USERS and NOT hosts as we are trying to decide if we should expand beyond KVM in our VPS lineup.

Thanks!

Comments

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited August 2014

Both can be oversold..

I say would say OpenVZ just for the sake of it.

• BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited August 2014

@TarZZ92 said:

> Both can be oversold..

KVM/XEN for production or at least important stuff. OpenVZ for dev or services that are not critical.

Why KVM/XEN? For the extra bucks I pay, I'd expect better quality or at least =< 1% downtime.

• Xen > KVM > OVZ in my opinion.

Xen and KVM for the good stuff, OVZ for mainly testing and using non-critical stuff.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited August 2014

said: Which visualization technology

256 colour vga at 640x800

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Have had good experience with all three. In the end the virtualization technology only matters if you need specific kernel modules; server quality depends mostly on the provider.

• I'd go with KVM and OVZ. I believe people rarely look into XEN and usually go for OVZ if they want something cheap and for KVM if they want something premium.

• I don't mind OpenVZ to be honest, even though it's most likely to be oversold. My sites are not for production so it doesn't affect me that much, not to mention the price is very attractive given this is ultimately a hobby at best for me. When a provider knows what they're doing it shouldn't really matter which virtualization it is.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

KVM>XEN>OVZ

Thanked by 1ehab
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2014

AnthonySmith said: KVM>XEN>OVZ

That's not sure, if I can share my experience with your company. I have a XEN box in Miami with you and I recently bought an OVZ box, setting up a similar traffic website. The new OVZ box is behave similar -if not even better- than the XEN one in the same location! (both are working very very good)

Bottom line, it depends on what are you going to do with the box, how will u use it, and first of all, who is the provider. OVZ is much more simple for the end user and if provider is honest and reliable, then, it should work fine for most cases.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

it all depends who is your host. personally i like ovz

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

under normal circumstances (no overselling) I prefer OVZ, unless Winblows is a requirement of course..

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Everything can be overzold, but KVM is better isolated as OpenVZ.

• AnthonySmith said: KVM>XEN>OVZ

+1

• OpenVZ always seems to be cheaper, and performance is good.

• AnthonySmith said: KVM>XEN>OVZ

XEN>KVM>OVZ

Love your Xen :)

Thanked by 2Pwner onepound
  • Flame suits, get your flame suits! Limited time only, $20 each!

Thanked by 2orak vimalware
  • It all comes down to the provider for me. I've been with providers who can keep OpenVZ nodes running like clockwork and some who couldn't keep KVM or Xen nodes up for more than a month without a reboot.

• Much KVM.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2014

Oh boy. Here we go again. "Buh but OVZ haz=oversellzzz" because they can.

Then again I am not an end user other than using it on nodes I also control. It is by far the easiest to administer for a bunch of reasons and I love it for that. When you have a bunch of nodes and you have to go through hundreds of VPS containers to do something you will realize how much nicer it is. Although poop...err ploop changes that a bit.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@catalystium said:
    Xen > KVM > OVZ in my opinion.

Xen and KVM for the good stuff, OVZ for mainly testing and using non-critical stuff.

If you own the node, it's a complete different story

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2014

@jvnadr said:
    Bottom line, it depends on what are you going to do with the box, how will u use it, and first of all, who is the provider. OVZ is much more simple for the end user and if provider is honest and reliable, then, it should work fine for most cases.

Yep, that was just my personal preference these days not from a host perspective or it would have gone: Xen > OVZ > KVM

I love Xen from a management perspective it is ridiculously configurable and the tool sets are awesome, OpenVZ comes second again because of the simplistic management, KVM out performs both Xen and OVZ but I see it like the teenage kid, it can definitely run faster than old man Xen and mid life crisis OVZ but it often trips up and is not very refined or mature :)

You can Oversell KVM its just a bit silly due the user space overhead and stability, Xen you can oversell disk if you use file based storage but again that is a little silly but not Ram unless you slab PV in to KVM (never tried) while OpenVZ is pretend virt so it just takes what ever you throw at it 8:1 overselling is ridiculously easy without slabbing.

Thanked by 1orak
  • @dnwk said:
    If you own the node, it's a complete different story

Very true, using OVZ on some colo'd hardware cause it was simple to setup :-).

• @AnthonySmith said:
    KVM>XEN>OVZ

^^This.

• OpenVZ: Probably best performance, easy for hosts to setup/maintain/oversell, PITA for kernel modules, poor (IMHO) security model (hosts and intercontainer)
    • KVM: Flexibility (OS install/capability wise), somewhat better security (host snooping & intercontainer), probably PITA for host to support noob users (i.e., networking setup etc)
    • Xen: Just not widely available (IMHO), typically doesn't perform as well as KVM, only HVM counts - PV might as well be OpenVZ (IMHO)
  • dnwkdnwk Member

@catalystium said:
    Very true, using OVZ on some colo'd hardware cause it was simple to setup :-).

And you can have smaller overhead

• As an end user, I like kvm or openvz.. xen only if both of them not available.

• emgemg Veteran

I am an end user. I have OpenVZ and KVM VPSs. I have not signed up for a Xen VPS (yet).

Why do these polls/discussions/etc. keep referring to Xen as if it is monolithic to the customer? From my end user point of view, Xen PV seems very different from Xen HVM. Isn't the VP vs. HVM question similar to the debate about OpenVZ vs. KVM?

--> Between OpenVZ and KVM, I prefer KVM.

OpenVZ has some quirks that I had to figure out, related to firewall configuration at startup for example. Devices are not the same as a plainwrap Linux installation. Furthermore, OpenVZ reaches into the file system - overwriting or editing several files at startup, which was disconcerting to a beginner like me. Nonetheless, OpenVZ templates make it easy for a beginner to get started (or start over) with their new VPS.

KVM feels like the virtual machines I install and use on my home computer, which may be why I prefer KVM. Initial configuration of a VPS under KVM is more challenging for beginners.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

Thanks everyone for your responses. However, it seems the debate about what we should offer next is not over. Might just end up adding Xen and OpenVZ so that we offer all three in the end to make everyone happy. Thanks again!

• KVM > OpenVZ.

• OpenVZ done right can sometimes > KVM.

• OVZ = Less hassle