Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NGINX + 'fastcgi_cache', 'APCu' or both?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NGINX + 'fastcgi_cache', 'APCu' or both?

ronaldgrnronaldgrn Member
edited August 2014 in General

My mind is currently in optimization mode and so i've been reading up on caching quite a bit. I've been using fastcgi cache and it has been working miracles for my sites.

One site in particular is very dynamic (has a forum) and i've been simply using an expiration of 10s to keep things 'fresh'... Would it make sense to have fastcgi_cache + APCu (+ php 5.5 opcode cache) or should i drop fastcgi cache for APCu (+ php 5.5 opcode).... Maybe im looking at it the wrong way and I don't even need APCu at all...

I can't seem to find any benchmarks online or any data from an authoritative source so your 2cents would be much appreciated.

Comments

• my 2 cents are that fastcgi_cache are enough. I use that setup to perform microcaching too.
    Some times you have to modify php and plugin to avoid un-cachable content, like the one with useless session cookies

• prioritize fastcgi cache over APCu. I feel APCu benefit is very minimal compared to fcgi cache