Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do providers put testimonials on their site?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do providers put testimonials on their site?

Does anybody actually believe they are real?

Comments

• I work as a profesional testimonial writer for various hosting providers among LET/LEB.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited August 2014

said: Does anybody actually believe they are real?

I do because I do see mine own testimonies. Not all of them are real though and should be taken with a grain of salt (as with most reviews here).

VMbox.co's testimonies:

Unfortunately, we don't have any customer testimonials yet, if you would like your testimonial here, please don't hesitate to send one to us at [email protected] and if we use it, you could be rewarded with 1 months free service!

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

said: Does anybody actually believe they are real?

Just because a rotten apple puts fake testimonials, doesn't mean everyone does :P

• Some will be gullible enough to read the testimonials on the provider website and look no further for real/unmoderated reviews on a third party website.

• They're useful if you have some large well-known and trusted customers (or business customers who write testimonials). "If they use it, it must be good enough for me".

• if you don't believe they are real, then it really doesn't affect you. if you do believe them, then hopefully its something that lends extra legitimacy to a provider. in our case they are real, unsolicited (feedback given in response to customer support tickets) and we also get permission from the clients before posting them.

• We put one on our site and linked to it. It's just a way for people to see what's being said about us.

• The main issue is that most providers only place positive reviews on their site, I've only seen one host with a bad review on their website.

• ztecztec Member
    edited August 2014

I'll give you a genuine answer when I'm done laughing.

• BK_BK_ Member

You know what completely discredits a company in my opinion? A list of testimonials that includes one that is signed by John Doe.

John Doe testimonial

• BK_ said: A list of testimonials that includes one that is signed by John Doe.

Imagine how difficult your Internet life would be if your name really was John Doe...

• @BK_ said:
    You know what completely discredits a company in my opinion? A list of testimonials that includes one that is signed by John Doe.

John Doe testimonial

Or any testimonial ending with :D

• which company is that ?

• @ftpit said:
    which company is that ?

Read the screenshot. It has an About Company section. Forgot your glasses today?

• Only way that could be better would be if the actual testimonial read "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. "

• NullMindNullMind Member
    edited August 2014

When people buy, they want some sort of reassurance that they are doing the right thing, reading a testimonial (a positive one) makes the buying process easier for the buyer, of course if the seller is dishonest and fakes or manipulates them, it's a shame, but does not take the value of the value of testimonials that are managed properly.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

It's a marketing ploy, plain and simple. Some people will fall for it, some will not.

Thanked by 1datarealm
  • I never read those. Why would you attach value to that anyways? I would still be doing my own research and tests to determine if the provider is solid.

• MeanServers said: It's a marketing ploy, plain and simple. Some people will fall for it, some will not.

Not always. Some people are actually ethical and will only share real testimonials written b their clients.

• cassa said: The main issue is that most providers only place positive reviews on their site, I've only seen one host with a bad review on their website.

Who?

• sumosumo Member

Testimonials are pretty much an add-on to the credibility of the business. It works best if the endorsers are well known and the business is ethical in using actual testimonials.

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2014

my point is that nobody will ever have a bad testimonial on their site, so none of them can be trusted. I understand maybe on sites used by people who have no idea how the internet works, but surely it shouldn't work on people buying web hosting, especially unmanaged servers

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@hostnoob said:
    Does anybody actually believe they are real?

Yes, plenty of people do, because in fact most of the time they are completely legitimate.

• @AlexanderM put my review on his website, legit too.

I feel special. :D

• When I needed testimonials for our new site, I contacted a few customers, who I knew were already satisfied with our service, and they kindly wrote a few sentences about our work. So not all testimonials are fake :)

• People should use keybase.io to write a review and sign it, then the host can link back to the original written text if people have doubts.

• The guys at Zopim (live chat software) actually have an interesting new product called "GetKudos" https://getkudos.me ... for customer quick reviews it looks like a cool add-on

• @invpsus said:
    When I needed testimonials for our new site, I contacted a few customers, who I knew were already satisfied with our service, and they kindly wrote a few sentences about our work. So not all testimonials are fake :)

but every host has happy users. if you asked all members for a review, and some were negative you would't put them on your site

• @black said:
    People should use keybase.io to write a review and sign it, then the host can link back to the original written text if people have doubts.

I've seen a few who display tweets and link to them

• I am usually more interested in case studies and customer showcases. Testimonials, however, do make sense if there's a valid link to the website which owner wrote the testimony and maybe if their logo is featured in a client showcase.