Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best/Worst Experiences
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best/Worst Experiences

DediSlotsDediSlots Member
edited June 2012 in General

What is the best/worst experiences you've had with hosting companies?

Comments

• TaylorTaylor Member

me getting ddos = permanent suspention

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Taylor where?

• That seems to be common with most hosting companies

• jcalebjcaleb Member

best experience, tektonic. solid and stable. my uptime is more than a year.

• RandyRandy Member

node crashing from the start and i was told wait for an hour . out of lthe blue

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited June 2012

@jcaleb said: where

There on LET so I do not think im going to name and shame their pad.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Taylor said: There on LET so I do not think im going to name and shame their pad.

so this is common for most providers right?

@Jack is the free cloudflare service enough since my ip will be hidden?

• blackblack Member

My VPS was suspended on the grounds that I had Nmap installed on my server. I only use it to scan my localhost to see if I have ports opened that's not supposed to be. Funny they had this in their AUP though.

Users are responsible for the proper secure configuration of their services and are responsible for any damages caused by their neglect or exposure of vulnerabilities whether intentional or unintentional.

Guess I can't use nmap to try and secure my server.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@Jack said: Yes , @dmmcintyre3 did a exim config tutorial too for you to hide the email header IP.

since cloudflare will be my dns, can i add subdomains there?

Remember to remove direct-connect.site and direct.site from your DNS zones

i don't know this, but i will try to research.

thanks Jack, I will implement this soon in my websites.

edit:
    can i just instead get a buyvm with ddos protection, and then install/configure nginx there to server as reverse proxy? would that be a good solution?

• yomeroyomero Member

Well, for me isn't simple.

• Best support: BuyVM (and just Fran, I don't have enough luck with their staff).
    • Best performance (raw processing, that's what I need): Edis(vserver)/Hostigation/Bitcable
    • Best uptime/performance overall: Rackspace, Hostigation.

• Worst support: This are several of them. AlienVPS is a piece of crap. Enscloud, the support always was awful.

• Worst performance: BlueVM, Hostrail
    • Worst uptime/performance overall: AlienVPS,
    • Most ignorant staff: myresellerhost, AlienVPS, and others

I can't remember other bad experiences. And I prefer to not mention another hosts which are a piece of crap too.
    And how funny is... I've been part of each scam at LEB/T since 2 years ago, and I can't classify them as totally bad. Also, some bad reputation hosts have been ok for me o_O

Thanked by 1Liam
  • @yomero said: been part of each scam at LEB/T since 2 years ago

Another way to track a potential scam.

check(yomero==member) {flag:scam}

lol. kidding ;)

• InsidieaInsidiea Member
    edited June 2012

My worst experience was when I was receiving 16MB disk speeds, and all my host said was "you get what you pay for".

My best experience was the price of ChicagoVPS

• blackblack Member

lol how much were you paying @Insidiea

• @black 2 dollars a month

• blackblack Member

Heh, I guess the host is honest at least :P

• InsidieaInsidiea Member
    edited June 2012

@black

Yeah, especially when they say:

"xxxx is dedicated to offering low cost, high quality Virtual Private Servers"

• BlueVM has the highest down time I can imagine -.-

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

My best experience has been with VPS6 because
    1)they speak english
    2)their hardware is fantastic
    3)their prices are great
    4)they're very easy to talk to(no arrogant or angry staff), they're also fast and flexible(node I was on had some issues so they moved me within a few minutes on request. Also I got slammed with ton of bills all at once one month and VPS6 had no problem extending my bill date without hesitation and without charging me more.)
    5) they also seem to be expanding to new places quickly and adding new templates which is exciting.

I'm not going to post the company i've had my worse experience with because I'm not into trying to hurt companies. I will say they were a far cry from VPS6 on all levels and miserable to use.

• blackblack Member

My blueVM node is pretty good to the point where I decided to move most of my stuff there.

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited June 2012

Not sure if its just me but hostigation has been down almost everyday for me since last month, from random 15 mins to half an hour. I haven't bothered to log a ticket because i don't even use it because of that. Anyone having similar problem?

• vanarpvanarp Member

@cosmicgate said: I haven't bothered to log a ticket because i don't even use it because of that.

I think you should at least hear what the host gonna say about it, especially when it is a popular host here on LET.

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited June 2012

the last time i asked they said i was ddossed. So i told them i only have a base install of centos on that vps with nothing on it except a vpn which i rarely use (maybe once every 2 months for occasional hulu/netflix and that's it. As a matter of fact, i only use it when my other more "favourable" vps/vpn is slow). Their answer : " it was a random DDoS"

i don't understand.

anyways i'm not saying they are the worst or bad, but it's just annoying with the network downtimes i'm having despite having "nothing" on the vps.

• AntipatikoAntipatiko Member
    edited June 2012

Worst experience: BuyVM KVM 512MB

A few minutes ago...

[root@s2 ~]$ sh bench.sh
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency : 3192.748 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 497 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    System uptime : 30 min,
    Download speed : (4.66MB/s)
    I/O speed : 49.4MB/s

A few days ago...

[root@s2 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 26.4931 s, 40.5 MB/s

[root@localhost ~]# sh bench.sh
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency : 3192.748 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 499 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    System uptime : 3 days, 11:09,
    Download speed : (41.8MB/s)
    I/O speed : 47.2MB/s

• jcalebjcaleb Member

if it's value for money exp, iperweb kvm have been great. im getting 100-300mb/s consistently on 2 kvms on different nodes.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Antipatiko maybe its an older node?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Antipatiko said: Worst experience: BuyVM KVM 512MB

By all means log a ticket :) We will have a list sometime...tomorrow? of nodes getting SSD caches. This has greatly helped a few nodes already as there isn't a lot we can do to ask someone to 'not read a lot from the disk'. The vast majority of our work loads are from that and very little from writes.

We'll do our best to improve this where possible :)

Thanks,

Francisco

• yomeroyomero Member

That is a bad experience?
    Bah, you have no idea what is bad...

• qjqqjq Member

@Antipatiko you probably did not enable virtio drivers

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@Francisco said: We'll do our best to improve this where possible :)

Aaaaand... Welcome back... Just when I was about to post your picture on baby milk packs. Still Aldryic is on the missing persons list...
    BlueVM does have a lot of downtime in the last couple of months, if anything I found the nodes down without any explanation and they are not booted when whatever problem was is solved so they stay down a lot since I dont check much. However, it was not the worst experience, not even close. besides that issue i dont have any other problems with them, so they still got a point in the hosts of the quarter list.
    Some years ago there was much worse performance overall in the market and ppl were expecting less, as such had many terrible hosts which were passing as "okay" at that time. Unfortunately I dont remember names.
    One good host was eNS, at least for my needs, great BW (was having unmetered and was going like 800K 24/7 stable for 6 USD) and I didnt really care for the rest. I throttled myself to 500 as I was thinking at first was some mistake and after a while, when I announced it and didnt get an answer, I still thought would be abuse to do that kind of BW hogging for that price so left it at 500 KB which was still shameless...
    It lasted much more than a year I think...
    M

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Maounique said: Aaaaand... Welcome back... Just when I was about to post your picture on baby milk packs. Still Aldryic is on the missing persons list...

I'm only here to let someone know that the issue can be looked into if they ticket, namely:

• If it's an issue and not the VPS is in IDE mode
    • if it's due to the node being too busy
    • what we'll do to address it

I'm not taking part in anymore drama as I would rather focus my time where I can improve things more for people.

Aldryic & Dilt are likely the same as well.

Thank ya' kindly,

Francisco