Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iredmail - How much resources does it use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iredmail - How much resources does it use?

blackblack Member
edited August 2014 in Help

I guess it's time for me to set up and host my own email. For those of you that use iredmail, can you tell me how much resource it uses? I don't think I'll have more than 3 concurrent users and only 4-5 domains. I'd like to know an approximate RAM & CPU usage.

Comments

• Last time I tried it, it used a ton of memory, but not that much CPU. ClamAV and spamassassin (and mysql) were the chief memory hogs. I was running it off a 512MB box, but it should be fine on a 1GB box.

• blackblack Member
    edited August 2014

1 gig for a mail server? Fucking hell.....

• Its fine on 512MB ram better on 1G cpu is low except when ClamAV is scanning.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2014

If you disable spam/virus scanning then 512MB is more than enough, however they recommend 1GB for production use due to spam/virus scanning.

Found this on their website:
    At least 1GB of memory is required for production use. if you have less memory, you have to disable spam/virus scanning by following our wiki tutorial. WARNING: It's strongly recommended to enable spam/virus scanning for production use, so please go get at least 1GB memory for your mail server.

• Meh, I call iRedMail bloated as hell, but then again, I also rolled my own mail server install that fits on my 512MB box. There isn't a frontend for adding users except via SQL itself, but that's not a big deal for me. I'm running postfix/dovecot/spamassassin and up until recently clamav. I decided to axe clamav as it was a memory hog.