Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox do you like it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox do you like it?

Just wondering what people think of it? Thinking of getting a small online.net dedi to try it out but wondering what people think of it. Any better than solus for example?

Comments

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I really like it. It's not really better than solus if you plan to sell VPSes, but if it's just for personal VPS uses it works really well.

Thanked by 1jh
  • I use it on my dev server, works great. I love it :)

• @ginner159 said:
    Just wondering what people think of it? Thinking of getting a small online.net dedi to try it out but wondering what people think of it. Any better than solus for example?

It is OK yes, but they need to update the main template, it's awful and I don't think it's that user friendly. good for personal server use but not for production.

• wychwych Member

Proxmox is OK, loading extra modules is a PITA.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited August 2014

@ginner159: Yes, I like Proxmox VE a lot (they are anal about calling it by its true name, LOL, they should rename the product after the company). I have various versions running with uptimes of over a year on some nodes. BTW, I use it the "non-standard" way by running it as a package on top of standard Debian (that way I can do stuff like Software RAID and Encryption).

The challenge is if you plan to use it to sell stuff; it just isn't clear (to me) which if any billing packages/modules really work well with it.

• Wow cheers for the response! I was thinking if using it to sell KVM machines I was also thinking of using blesta as billing module seeing as tho they have a plugin for it in there control panel.

Any of you used it to sell vps then?

• @ginner159 said:
    Wow cheers for the response! I was thinking if using it to sell KVM machines I was also thinking of using blesta as billing module seeing as tho they have a plugin for it in there control panel.

@ginner159: I haven't done it, would love to see a reliable roadmap for doing this.

• wychwych Member

The modules available for Proxmox leave much to be desired, I am actively moving systems away from it now due to module issues.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @wych said:
    The modules available for Proxmox leave much to be desired, I am actively moving systems away from it now due to module issues.

@wych: And this is the very thing I have been afraid of and didn't want to take the plunge unless/until it was "proven."

Cheers

• @ginner159 said:
    Wow cheers for the response! I was thinking if using it to sell KVM machines I was also thinking of using blesta as billing module seeing as tho they have a plugin for it in there control panel.

Our Window's KVM machines are sold on Proxmox, yes it does work but I still like solusVM more.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • ztecztec Member

Great for personal use.

• I like it for personal but that's about it.

• wychwych Member

@geekalot don't get me wrong the developer is very active on it, and one day it may be a good product. This also provided Proxmox stays free over the coming years.

ModulesGarden was a joke and didnt even consider them given certain support responses.

The other I just got fedup of the headaches.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited August 2014

my concern with proxmox is the networking on KVM machines, you cannot really prevent people from stealing other peoples VM IP without setting up something advanced yourself. I would only advice using it to sell vps to people you know or just for private usage.

edited August 2014

@Mark_R said:
    my concern with proxmox is the networking on KVM machines, you cannot really prevent people from stealing other peoples IP without setting up something advanced yourself. I would only advice using it to sell vps to people you know or just for private usage.

@Mark_R I am not as concerned about this since I use a firewall on the host node to lock everything down between all interfaces/bridges (even between instances); they might grab the IP but they wouldn't be able to route sh*t. But, I definitely appreciate the concern about this for a host. Some scripts might be able to deal with this.

• Well think that's answered it lol just wish everything was open n free. Will use it to play about with hypervisor stuff n learning. Guess solus is still goin to be the victor for a while. I'll do a tutorial if I manage to get something stable together

edited August 2014

@ginner159, let me know if there is going to be a community project to join to address the Proxmox shortcomings :-)

I'll have to add it to my list of "blue sky" projects (including building a self-hosted Google Voice replacement, lol)

Cheers

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • have to agree with what most of the guys say .. now if only there was a deployment frontend and client controlpanel ( like feathur or kiwivm ) they could just overtake the market
    i mean kvm OR ovz ....you can run both ..

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited August 2014

Using right now for one of my clients with server provided by online.net (DEDIBOX XC). Running few VPS's without one issue from day one. Web site, social media site and radio station (Centova).

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • From my personal experience...
    Proxmox KVM is great for internal use. If you want to use it for clients, you'll have to either involve ebtables (not verified to work), or a router/switch where you tie IPs to Mac Addresses, then force Mac Addresses when provisioning KVM VM's.

OpenVZ is stable. But the VNC Console will break if you use non-proxmox OVZ Templates.... What a cluster it was.

• I would recommend you give Virtualizor a go 1 month free trial too.

• wychwych Member

@sz1hosting said:
    I would recommend you give Virtualizor a go 1 month free trial too.

You forgot [shameless-plug]

• wych said: [shameless-plug]

Sorry i do not understand Mr.Wych

• wychwych Member

@sz1hosting said:

He asked about Proxmox; you gave no feedback on the software and instead just said go use Virtualizor, way to contribute to the thread.

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited August 2014

wych said: He asked about Proxmox; you gave no feedback on the software and instead just said go use Virtualizor, way to contribute to the thread.

My contribution was showing a better option and saving the op time and trying to help with a suggestion that would be in my opinion the best option. Though i can see where you are coming from with the assumptions you have made from the way i replied.

• wychwych Member
    edited August 2014

@sz1hosting said:

Its not an assumption, you offered no feedback on Proxmox, nor did you state why you suggested it.

But yes, depending on the intended usage it could be a better choice. But virtualizor isn't exactly painless.

• wych said: it could be a better choice.

I tried.

• i like proxmox and i love hooking into its API they have lots of control and better intergration/hooks i prefer it over solus api anyway i think its a awesome product. Does the job well for my needs.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • There's a new integrated firewall in the pvetest repository that will address this perfectly.

We love it and use it in production. We replaced a vSphere cluster with it and have had no significant problems.

@Mark_R said:
    my concern with proxmox is the networking on KVM machines, you cannot really prevent people from stealing other peoples VM IP without setting up something advanced yourself. I would only advice using it to sell vps to people you know or just for private usage.

Thanked by 2geekalot Mark_R
  • MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

Only problem with Proxmox is it isn't as end user friendly as some of the other control panels out there. We prefer CloudStack honestly =D