Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dig the way back (13 months)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dig the way back (13 months)

sundaymousesundaymouse Member
edited August 2014 in Providers

Don't know if this thread belongs to the correct category, may @Spirit move this thread if it belongs better elsewhere.

When I was reading LET today, a post I made over a year ago came up on my mind. It was July last year, when a host was launched and posted an offer in LET. And I made a comment:

Marked, will come back to this thread in September.

I do respect the owner's response to my comment:

One thing I have learned in business is to take your time and learn as you go. I have paid for this server out of my own pocket for 3 months already and am willing to pay for what is required out of pocket until it takes care of itself.

I just have one service I sell right now but I wanted to make sure I did it right and I feel confident now it was ready for launch.

The website is a template and right now just has the basic information but I decided to put my money into the technology to make it worth it and the rest comes with time and funds.

I will keep doing what it takes to be better and grow because while I did launch in the summer time, I will in no way be a summer host. I know my customers will enjoy the time I put into it just as I will be proud of my work.

I read what you said and smiled because I do want you to come back and maybe even be a customer! I welcome all feedback because that is how we make everything better.

And then I did come back in September, this host was all up and fine. They were featured by on LEB main page too.

And they seemed to be still in business at the beginning of this year.

Then today, I remembered and check this host again, and it reads:

Sadly, at this time ZipVPS has closed its doors and is no longer selling VPS servers. We thank our customers and wish everyone the best.

Sadly, many new hosts in this market don't last very long.

Edit: drowsy tags fixed.

Thanked by 1raindog308

Comments

• The attitude of sell slow and good quality that worked a few years ago dosn't seem to be so good now, sell hard and fast!

• That's only if you specifically target this market. There are many hosts who charge sub $50 a month for VPS and they make enough profit. They target businesses and clueless clients that need people to manage everything for them.

• you don't have to be clueless to avail of managed service. you may have other things on your head not to bother it with technicalities of managing a server.

• @Ishaq said:
    That's only if you specifically target this market. There are many hosts who charge sub $50 a month for VPS and they make enough profit. They target businesses and clueless clients that need people to manage everything for them.

No. They lose much more than $50 during downtimes. $50/m hosts tend to have enterprise network equipment and hardware, not quagga and supermicro desktop alike crap. Everything aside there is a much bigger chance to have downtime((be it spam, ddos, resource abuse, overloaded nodes or anything else) when there is 300 vps per node($12/y) vs 20 vps($50/m).

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Well, i wont comment their deployment but i can tell you this, times when you can sell node out in one day with 11.99 yearly special are done... we started as one full year of loss, month after month... if you cannot sustain this, don't get into business. And again, cheap is not excuse for bad, so you have to provide quality, even for 11.99 per year, Now it is up to you to see if you can do it.

Badly managed nodes and fishy hosting company owners are reason why drServer is doing XEN only. Growth is slow, prices are higher, profits are smaller but i sleep well. I dont wake up in the middle of the night to respond back on the forum because there is angry customer who wish to kill me or any of our staff.

Customer satisfaction should be 1st place, profits on 2nd. If there is no profit, you are doing something wrong.

Thanked by 20xdragon RLT