Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for cheap (obviously) VPS or Dedi with ~ 8 GB RAM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for cheap (obviously) VPS or Dedi with ~ 8 GB RAM

Hi,
I'm looking for a VPS or dedicated server with about 8 GB of RAM (6 might be sufficient too, but the more the better).
I'm currently testing Delimiter's 30$/month 16 GB RAM dedi, but it's kinda overkill for my needs and I'd rather have something cheaper.
I don't need much disk space (5 to 10 GB maybe) or processing power (2 logical cores of anything should do). Network should be 100 Mbit/s, uptime isn't a priority in this case.
Any recommendations or offers that fit the bill?

Comments

• BradBrad Member

Maybe VPSDime @serverian

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2014

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc

EDIT: works out about the same with VAT...

How about an i3 kimsufi?

• waveride ?

• @mokafu said:
    waveride ?

SHit service.... try then openvz.io

• said: I'm looking for a VPS or dedicated server with about 8 GB of RAM (6 might be sufficient too, but the more the better).

6GB RAM, 10GB HDD, KVM - $16/mo

Let me know if interested!

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited August 2014

Kimsufi.com

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

what about dedicated:
    PowerEdge 860 - 8 GB RAM - 1TB HDD - 5TB @100mbps - 20 usd per month

• wychwych Member

@drserver said:
    what about dedicated:
    PowerEdge 860 - 8 GB RAM - 1TB HDD - 5TB 100mbps - 20 usd per month

Can you add a 2nd disk?

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

yes, 10 usd 2x1 tb - 20 usd 4x1 tb

• I PMed you an offer.

• @ucxo said:
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a VPS or dedicated server with about 8 GB of RAM (6 might be sufficient too, but the more the better).
    I'm currently testing Delimiter's 30$/month 16 GB RAM dedi, but it's kinda overkill for my needs and I'd rather have something cheaper.
    I don't need much disk space (5 to 10 GB maybe) or processing power (2 logical cores of anything should do). Network should be 100 Mbit/s, uptime isn't a priority in this case.
    Any recommendations or offers that fit the bill?

Note that the Delimiter server you have is only $20/mo if paid quarterly. You may want to consider that prior to switching.

• ucxoucxo Member
    edited August 2014

@petris I know, but I'd rather have a monthly plan. I've already been bitten twice by yearly plans whose hosters turned out to be total garbage in one and somewhat sub-par in the other case.

• @ucxo - Delimiter also has an Atom server - 100GB disk, 2TB transfer, 2GB RAM - $10/month paid month-to-month or $5/month paid annually. See here

• ucxoucxo Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Delimiter also has an Atom server - 100GB disk, 2TB transfer, 2GB RAM - $10/month paid month-to-month or $5/month paid annually. See here

I know, but 2 GB RAM don't quite cut it for my current plans.

• @ucxo - so stick with your current server and move to quarterly billing. You'll get it for $20/month then. There are only about 25 of those servers left from the final shipment so they are already in very short supply.

You could do what some customers do, they setup the server with Proxmox and split the server 8GB RAM/200GB disk with a friend. That way you'll pay $15/each

• ucxoucxo Member

@MarkTurner To be honest, with that 5-hour outage on the very first day after my server was commisioned, I've got a mixed impression of Delimiter so far…
    I'll keep an eye on the server for now and make a decision at the end of the month, but in any case the server is way overpowered for my current needs. The offer is still pretty neat, though.

• @ucxo - Over the past 5 weeks we have had a number of different issues, but hopefully in the past now. We had two large (planned) maintenance windows where we upgraded switchgear which affected a few rows and breaker failure affecting one rack and now just this past weekend chilled water issues.

Its not the normal operational standard by any stretch of the imagination. That site has been pretty rocksolid over the past 5 years.

We're not sure whether the chilled water problems are related to three new cooling towers being installed on our buildings roof at the moment; but we have added flow monitoring to our water supplies which will trigger alerts when there is a deviation of more than +/- 5% of usual flow.

The actual flow issue was resolved in about 10 minutes, the problem that dragged it out was the heat build-up, we needed to get the temperature down before firing up the affected equipment. If we had seen the flow variation at the start then we would have known about an hour before it became critical that the flow had been reduced and could have increased the flow to compensate for the reduction. The local team there took the position to shutdown certain rows of kit to ensure that there was no damage to equipment or disks, we could have overridden the shutdowns and ridden it out, but thats just too risky. At those types of temperatures disks start dropping like flies so rather than risk equipment/customer data they took that decision.

• @Brad said:
    Maybe VPSDime serverian

I'll vouch for VPSDime and @serverian as well. 6GB of ram for $7/mo, 12GB for $14/mo. Pure SSD and 10gbps uplink in Dallas or Seattle.

If you are going to be hitting the CPU hard then I'd keep your current dedi or take up one of the other offers posted.

• ucxoucxo Member

Thank you, everyone, for your input.
    For anyone who might need something similar: I decided to sign up with VPSDime since they're among the cheapest offers I've received here, yet still seem to have an excellent reputation. So far, everything's looking peachy and their ticket response time (9 to 27 minutes so far) is surprisingly fast as well.

• choose colorhost.de , better then a dedicated :)

• @ZweiTiger said:
    SHit service.... try then openvz.io

what's wrong with waveride?

• Digicube has this:

http://www.digicube.com/rapidserveurs/54

Atom 230 2x1.6Ghz (HT), 1GB RAM, 1TB HDD space, 100mbps unlimited. "from" 9.6 euros a month. That's with a yearly contract, I'm sure. Probably something like 11-12 euros if paid monthly.

If that's a bit too slow, check out the rest: http://www.digicube.com/rapidserveurs

• ugh, won't let me edit. I just saw the 6GB memory thing. That would take you up to a 16 euro/month if paid annually machine. Not much cheaper than your delimiter.

• GVH has a $29/month Atom C2758 dedi.

• online.net or oneprovider (online reseller)