Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most popular virtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most popular virtualization

AH-DominicAH-Dominic Member
edited June 2012 in General

Hi

Which, out of these, in your opinion is the most popular virtualization?

• OpenVZ
  • Xen
  • KVM

Thank you.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2012

KVM is the hype now. I personally prefer Xen, but I am more conservative than most.
    OVZ is most frequent because of speed and resources used so it is cheaper. But I doubt ppl really will choose it give the same price, unless in specific conditions.
    Overall, unless specific needs for HVM, custom kernels or other things regarding network, OVZ is the norm.
    M

• OVZ is the default, KVM for hardcore virtualisation

• OpenVZ is the most popular.

• I'd probably say OpenVZ.

I personally prefer it for ease of management.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@ShardHost said: I personally prefer it for ease of management.

From a host point of view or end-user ?

So far, we all agree, OVZ is the norm, the rest are for specifics.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member

OpenVZ because it's easier for providers.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I think Xen is fading in popularity...? Seems like providers are drifting towards OvZ + KVM. At least some of our faves here are - BuyVM, Hostigation are that way, and SD has deprecated Xen. I think @KuJoe said Xen is more difficult to manage.

• Ovz is most popular as it's a simple installation setup. It's literally running one script from SolusVM and there you go. Done.

I would like to see a larger influx of xen and kvm providers, providing it at the same level of pricing as OVZ.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

OpenVZ isn't really virtualisation, but is most popular since its the easiest to setup, has no overhead and is easy to administer.

Thanked by 2klikli Amfy
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 I'm pretty sure @mitgib used to do Xen VPSs a year or so ago or maybe more.. I think.

• jshinklejshinkle Member
    edited June 2012

We still do Xen VPS's and love it. They are not as hard as you think to manage. The only thing that throws people off generally is how to manage LVM's. From there its just as simple as another virt.

Edit: I forgot to add that we have added another 5 nodes just this year to Xen. We simply do not promote it as much as we use to, but i just ordered another 3 for our use.

• What advantages (from a consumers perspective) does XEN have?

• It offers entire Kernel control from inside the VPS, so you are not entirely dependent on the host node's kernel. That is in both PyGrub and HVM. From there, everything is 100% dedicated to you. You can "oversell" ram by utilizing the ballooning feature, but it really is just a waste of time for ~5 more VPS's per node after overhead.

• @Jack,

Yea eth0. That there is a real benefit to some people.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said: SD has deprecated Xen. I think @KuJoe said Xen is more difficult to manage.

Yup and yup. Took Xen PV off the website and no longer selling it.

• @Jack,

We discussed it, but probably not. Not really sure what the hype is about it other than you can oversell more easily than on Xen w/ Ballooning. KVM never really appealed to me.

• @KuJoe,

What did you find difficult to manage about Xen?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

i love kvm. just hate installing from cd. would love instant setup from image =)

Thanked by 2raindog308 karl
  • @jcaleb said: i love kvm. just hate installing from cd. would love instant setup from image =)

That would take the fun out of it :P

• syamansyaman Member

Installing from CD makes me....feel powerful :D

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: That would take the fun out of it :P

sometimes i just want to study something, so i use it like a scratchpad. i want to reinstall sometimes 5 times each night =)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @jshinkle said: KVM never really appealed to me.

KVM is much like a dedi. full control etc. I myself like that ^^

• ChanChan Member

OVZ as it's the easiest to use and oversell I guess? Well I prefer KVM and Xen as I know I'll get what I pay for and the memory management is like 10 times better than OVZ

• TazTaz Member

@somerandomabcdguy not all the OVZ providers oversell. Ovz is simple and bit faster comparing kvm. Less over head. In my case I probably would fit more kvm in a box as I would not need to worry about burst ram, but the only thing that holds me.back is the I/O speed.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited June 2012

@jshinkle said: The only thing that throws people off generally is how to manage LVM's

I wonder how that could throw people off, I left Xen behind as for me it was too unstable. Now I can't say if it was my hardware or Xen itself, this was in the Xen 3.1? days, about 18 months ago or so. I moved everyone over to KVM and have not looked back. It is the exact same LVM hurdles to deal with, the only thing I miss from Xen is PV, but I will gladly trade that for nodes that stay up and responsive for 6-12 months on average.

But as for the topic of the the thread, OpenVZ is without a doubt the more popular or higher selling virt tech. 2:1 or more for me and I even leave OpenVZ out of stock on purpose with KVM to offer just to try to balance it out more in KVM's favor, but the public will not have anything to do with it, so I give, and just put more OVZ nodes online now.

I should clarify, it's not that people won't buy KVM, it is simply not as popular as OpenVZ in the checkout lane.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@miTgiB why most people choose ovz? is it because it's cheaper?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jcaleb said: why most people choose ovz?

I've never really asked, but looking at my own VPS that I personally use or for providing internal services, I do use more OpenVZ as it is good enough for most things.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • the major problem with KVM is their name. it just give a confusion between linux KVM and IPMI KVM.

Thanked by 2Amfy djvdorp
  • @eastonch said: would like to see a larger influx of xen and kvm providers, providing it at the same level of pricing as OVZ.

That probably wont happen, KVM and Xen are not really suited for oversubscription so that drives the prices higher. This type of virtualization is more accurately described as a virtual dedicated server vs. OpenVZ which is more like shared hosting with some limits.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • @miTgiB,

Never have had an issue with our Xen kernels. Everything has been pretty stable with them. I think my longest running Xen server itself is at 283 days, but we ksplice all of our kernels to keep reboots low.