Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what's a good CrashPlan alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what's a good CrashPlan alternative?

SylmaeSylmae Member
edited August 2014 in General

I'm looking at two possible alternatives:

• Amazon Glacier - cheap and backed by Amazon
  • CloudBerry - no mention here at LET at all
  • hubiC - would have been nice if not for the capped download speed

What do you guys use to backup all your data?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited August 2014

said: What do you guys use to backup all your data?

I used CrashPlan :-)

Maybe you should say exactly what your needs are and why CP doesn't meet them.

• Livedrive maybe?

• Get a kimsufi for important things.

Get a hard drive for other things and keep it offline and safe.

• backupsy

• SylmaeSylmae Member
    edited August 2014

raindog308 said: Maybe you should say exactly what your needs are and why CP doesn't meet them.

I want to back up 600GB+ worth of files. Every year, this will probably double in total size. Each file is about 700MB to 3.2GB big. Not a big deal, I can upload 600GB+ to CrashPlan's server in maybe 7-10 days (I have a Kimsufi server).

The problem is downloading those files again. No, I won't download everything at once. Maybe one 700MB file today and another 1.2GB file the next day etc. That would take about 45 mins.+ each since downloading from CrashPlan to my Kimsufi maxes out at 1Mbps. I can wait 10-15 mins. but 30-45 mins and up is too much.

It's the same issue with hubiC -- upload speeds are good but download is capped.

If I get another Kimsufi, sooner or later, I'll run out of HDD space.

Amazon S3 is fast but I can't figure out the pricing.

Amazon Glacier is cheap but again I can't figure out the pricing. All I know is I can't use this if I intend to download my files regularly as it will cost a lot.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited August 2014

Sylmae said: Amazon S3 is fast but I can't figure out the pricing.

There is a pricing calculator. :D

Did you take a look at Amazon S3 reduced redundancy storage? Cheaper and you get the same safety range of hubiC, Backupsy, dedicated, etc. (likely higher). Normal can withstand a 2 data centers going down. Reduced can take only one data center.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Sylmae said: Maybe one 700MB file today and another 1.2GB file the next day etc.

Gosh I just can't imagine what these files might be.

• If you like CrashPlan, what about running their server on your own backup dedi/VPS? It's kind of resource-heavy but it does work

• klikliklikli Member
    edited August 2014

How about backblaze?

Thanked by 1shovenose