Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone interested in sharing a backup server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Someone interested in sharing a backup server?

WilliamWilliam Member
edited June 2012 in General

Choopa has a nice deal going for 60$ / mo + 60$ setup for a 4x2TB Server:
http://www.choopa.com/servers/clearance/

I don't need that much storage, 4TB would be more than enough - anyone up to split it 1:1 by openvz or something similar?

Comments

• laaevlaaev Member

Who would have root access to the server? What about privacy to the data on that server?

• i don't care, either i can manage it or the other one - The CPU also supports VT so KVM/Xen with encrypted LVM volumes for each one is no issue also.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

Funny how their VPS's are minimum $50 a month and only allows centos and windows...big fat fail. Dedi server looks better though.

• laaevlaaev Member

Its only 5 TB bandwidth.

• @FTN_Kevin said: Its only 5 TB bandwidth.

>
    This.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

well after first month whoever splits with William will be paying $30, so given the specs for the dedi, it seems like a good idea. Extra 10TB is $120 though and that's lowest addition you can choose...ugh someone needs to teach these guys how to offer real value to ultimately make more money...they're about 80% there but fall short. And their $50 crappy VPS offering makes me think they just have that up not because they really care, just in case they can find a sucker to buy.

• Yea, for 30$ it is not bad - I would pay the complete box but i simply don't need the space (i will order one anyway, so i thought i might as well "sell" 50% of it).

Considered that this machine also has a nice amount of RAM and CPU power it surely would do some beefy backup VPS.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@William - in which country the server is located?

• USA, NJ

• Do you have plans to raid it?

• Yes, RAID0.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

RAID0 for backups? My experience with RAID0 is the best, data loss all the way and now I can't even be arsed to keep backups.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Real shame being a US location. thank's to the so-called patriot act the american gov can access the data anytime.

• @Infinity said: RAID0 for backups? My experience with RAID0 is the best, data loss all the way and now I can't even be arsed to keep backups.

backups of backups do not need RAID.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @William, maybe we can settle on a deal.. Contact me PM.