Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Orchestration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Orchestration

So I've acquired a personal cloud, personal collection of domains, etc.....

Most of the tools are too industrial-scale for my current "microcloud". Is anyone using an orchestration tool they really like on ~10 VPSes?

Thanks!
-Jake

Comments

• wychwych Member

So I've acquired a personal cloud, personal collection of domains, etc.....

So you have said.

• I personally use Salt on my ~12 servers. Picked because it's light for our low end boxes, has great documentation, and pulls from a great community.

Thanked by 1faddat
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Puppet, Chef, cfengine (more suited for lowend but more complicated).

Puppet at least is probably not leb-friendly. cfengine is - can run in very low-mem environments. Depends on what you want to do. If you're managing configs, cfengine is great, but it's not batch processing or inter-system job management.

Thanked by 1faddat
  • After having also used Chef and Puppet, I'd say go with Ansible - no server side element, just pushing. Config files are readable and simple, scales well from 1 to (I've heard and can imagine) 10.000. Learning curve is not steep, documentation is nicely written.

Using this for a fleet of LEB's myself, and has been working really well.

Thanked by 1faddat
  • Is Ansible free? I'm interested in one that's simple to use. For example, for just running commands on all servers at once, and viewing output all at once, and the occasional configuration file editting.

• Just make bash configuration scripts. I use bash scripts (my own, not generic downloaded ones) for custom configuration of all my servers.

Thanked by 1faddat
  • @awvnx said:
    Is Ansible free? I'm interested in one that's simple to use. For example, for just running commands on all servers at once, and viewing output all at once, and the occasional configuration file editting.

Ansible is free, the web interface, tower, is paid when you have more than 10 machines.

Ansible is awesome, I use it for my fleet. Have also used Chef and Puppet, prefer Chef more than Puppet because Puppet has no order and you have to define dependencies which gets a mess, and Ansible over Chef because it requires no client and is very light.

Thanked by 1faddat
  • I used ansible recently to deploy Streisand. That was a hoot. I'll give tower a roll today & let you all know how it goes. Nothing I've said here is a short-term goal-- I'm learning as I go, like most people probably did. It's a ton of trial and error, but I think "the net as we know it" is worth it.

• The Ansible for DevOps book currently being written (https://leanpub.com/ansible-for-devops) worked well for me :)