Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

wich linux should i run

wich linux should i run

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited June 2012 in General

I bought a PC, used one, for 90 euros

And i want to run Linux on it But my question is, Wich linux should i run on it? I just want to use it for surfing the web, no gaming and stuff

It has 2GB Ram and an Intel Celeron Processor

Comments

• Depends on which servers you use. If you mainly use Debian i'd recommend a Debian-based distro like Ubuntu.

• ElliotJElliotJ Administrator

Arch, so you can be all hipster and stuff.

Need to reach me quickly? Ping me on Discord

Thanked by 2raindog308 eastonch
  • Going to try Debian 6

• Debian 6 is my hint too. Is stable and fast. Only problem for me is with the "non-free" stuff which can be annoying at times. M

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Provider

+1 for Debian

@Maounique - you can update your souces.list to include non-free

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited June 2012

Of course, can also use specially cooked USB keys for install with the "non-free" firmwares, it is just annoying, not a deal-breaker. M

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

mint 13

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• @joodle said: Going to try Debian 6

Debian isn't really optimal for a Desktop

• Can do everything he needs and he can make it do ONLY what he needs. Other derivatives from Debian seldom give the opportunity to install only what you need. M

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited June 2012

I was more refering to the age of packages in the debian repos which isn't nice for a desktop.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Provider

For a desktop that just has to work without fuss and where things stay working, OpenSuSE. For a machine to play around with and try things, Debian.

• Ubuntu 12.04. I swapped from XP to it and haven't looked back, its the perfect contrast between Windows and Linux IMHO. Especially if you have other people that are going to use it in the house that aren't familiar with Linux.

• edited June 2012

Mint with Mate. It's 'Ubuntu done right'

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Ubuntu, as it has great hardware support and is just a bloated Debian for desktops. Or Xubuntu which is lighter on resources

Check my blog for more cool *nix tips & tricks!

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Provider

I would not recommend Ubuntu, it has a tendency to break on updates/upgrades.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

linux mint with mate is best. or try cinamion

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited June 2012

@joepie91 said: I would not recommend Ubuntu, it has a tendency to break on updates/upgrades.

Havent had any issues so far. There are a lot of updates though,

• @liam said: For you, backtrack linux will probably be the most useful ;-)

Noooo pl0x dont haxxx0rz my wifi :(

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • BT is not only for wifi, besides that is pretty common software they have in, but also for auditing ethernet and various hosts even on the internet. M

• Installed Ubuntu, running fine But i got a problem, i installed the drivers for my video card (from my old pc, HD 5670) but i can find the catalyst control center

• For low specs I'd recommend the Debian based Crunchbang or the Ubuntu based Lubuntu. Both run fine on my old 1.6ghz Laptop.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @alfredino said: For low specs I'd recommend the Debian based Crunchbang or the Ubuntu based Lubuntu. Both run fine on my old 1.6ghz Laptop.

Crunchbang ftw

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @alfredino said: Both run fine on my old 1.6ghz Laptop.

Ubuntu also runs fine on an 1.3ghz i3 (which clocks down to 800mhz most of the time)

• Ah, nvm found it under Dash Home lol

• PhilNDPhilND Member

I personally think ubuntu i trash now. Unity is terrible. Go with debian or mint

https://nodedeploy.com | Premium VPS Solutions | Managed

• yomeroyomero Member

Debian testing for desktops.

• Xubuntu

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator
    edited June 2012

Avoid Unity and Gnome 3. Try Lubuntu.... its fast.

• CoreyCorey Member, Provider

I was wondering about this gnome desktop on fedora.... its totally different that it used to be but I haven't had a chance to try other desktops yet.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

fedora i think uses gnome 3

• fedora always uses the latest and greatest... I find Ubuntu terrible also. Perhaps, as in the case with Apple thread, maybe we are too old and conservative, ordinary folk discover computers through their phone interface, as such, Metro and Unity might look more like home. M

• netomxnetomx Member

lol, everyone has different opinions of their favorite distro. I, as the OP, will try first Debian.

• rskrsk Member, Provider

I do not like the new ubuntu, tablet way is never my favorite...but thats just me :P

• yomeroyomero Member

@jcaleb said: fedora i think uses gnome 3

Proiperly, everything is moving to Gnome 3... which sucks u_u

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Member

@yomero said: Gnome 3... which sucks u_u

I know :(

any other window manager that can be used? Maybe xfce ?

• nabonabo Member

@netomx said: any other window manager that can be used? Maybe xfce ?

Fluxbox!

"Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson learned is: never try."

• netomxnetomx Member

@nabo said: Fluxbox!

it doesnt look so appealing :(

• ChanChan Member
    edited June 2012

Well if you guys are really that bothered there are official KDE, LXDE and Xfce spinoffs for Fedora http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Ubuntu also runs fine on an 1.3ghz i3 (which clocks down to 800mhz most of the time)

I was talking about a singlecore 1.6ghz Centrino/Pentium M from 2004/2005 :) A regular Ubuntu can get pretty slow on that Laptop.

@netomx Check out LXDE then, I really like it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @alfredino xubuntu runs OK on my 2004 laptop (P4 3.06 GHz with 768mb ram)

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • nabonabo Member

@netomx said: it doesnt look so appealing :(

Well, it's a functional window-manager. I like it as it is reduced to the important stuff and you can tweak it easily to your liking.

"Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson learned is: never try."

• I do not remember very well as I tried many distros but I think I managed to put xubuntu on a pentium 120 800x600 compaq armada DM1510 with 80 MB ram and 4 gb hdd. In the end stayed with puppy (lucid puppy). M

• xubuntu or lubuntu are great choices, both really easy on system resources, both very fast, and ubuntu repo obv very easy to use, and easy to find help with online.

http://cheapvpsdeals.net over 80 cheap VPS deals listed, from providers in 14 countries, and 3 continents!

• use any linux OS who use the txz file as their default packages..

Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
  • KairusKairus Member

If you want GNOME, use Fedora. If you want KDE, use OpenSUSE. IMO.

• yomeroyomero Member

@Kairus said: If you want GNOME, use Fedora. If you want KDE, use OpenSUSE. IMO.

yiak xDDDD

• OpenSuse or Debian in my opinion

LinkAlone Networks - VPS Hosting - Open VZ/Solus VM - starting from $5.99/month
  • Debian Squeeze + xfce, with a few things installed from backports for latest versions (notably iceweasel). Stable and light on resources.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

mate is great from mint. it's gnome 2.x. but my only complaint is they have to change the name of many of its bundled software. e.g. gedit is called pluma. so when i invoke from command line, it's very confusing.