Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BlueVM OpenVZ random outages, reboots, broken iptables
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BlueVM OpenVZ random outages, reboots, broken iptables

edited August 2014 in Providers

My previous problems with BlueVM

Massive packet loss at BlueVM Los Angeles:
http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30025/massive-packet-loss-at-bluevm-los-angeles/p1

BlueVM shuts down my VPS with dubious cause, doesn't bother to notify me:
http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/608659/p1

email blacklisted because of Spamhaus Colocrossing listing:
http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/31279/spamhaus-vs-colocrossing-caught-in-the-crossfire-what-to-do/p1

I have one little VPS on BlueVM that I use. Unfortunately, it's nothing but problems since I first started using them a few months ago.

I really wanted for BlueVM to work out, but it isn't. At all.

Now the issue is that they keep rebooting the host node, or otherwise rebooting my OpenVZ VPS.

List of reboots. The timestamp here is on boot-up, not when it went down.

Sun Aug  3 03:52:13 MST 2014
Sat Aug  2 04:32:42 MST 2014
Fri Aug  1 03:06:47 MST 2014
Fri Jul 25 22:59:07 MST 2014
Tue Jul 22 10:51:17 MST 2014
Sun Jul 20 06:28:07 MST 2014
Sat Jul 19 06:47:36 MST 2014
Fri Jul 18 17:33:55 MST 2014
Sun Jun 15 21:50:42 MST 2014
Fri Jun 13 15:14:51 MST 2014
Sat Jun  7 17:02:54 MST 2014
Sat May 24 17:34:23 MST 2014

In the last three days, they have rebooted this host every day within the same 2-hour window.

Unfortunately, for reasons I'm not sure about, every time they reboot, my node comes up with an empty iptables configruation. I have to log in and manually restore the iptables config, because whatever they are doing is breaking it on restore.

So, I find my host sitting there with no firewall. Awesome.

This is on top of my host being broken and offline for 7-8 hours last Thursday when I couldn't even access the host via the Feathur control panel. It took them 35 hours to finally respond to the ticket I opened. I think it got fixed by accident when they rebooted the host node on Friday morning.

Comments

• You only come here to complain?

Thanked by 3darkshire Pwner FoShizz
  • @serverian said:
    You only come here to complain?

He's probably paid to ;)

• @serverian said:
    You only come here to complain?

I'm not here for the social experience.

• 0xdragon said: He's probably paid to ;)

What idiot would go so far as to pay someone to complain?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Rallias other hosts maybe?

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited August 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    Rallias other hosts maybe?

I highly doubt other hosts would need to pay people to comment on BlueVM's uptime...

• badreligionbadreligion Member
    edited August 2014

@SkylarM said:
    I highly doubt other hosts would need to pay people to comment on BlueVM's uptime...

Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?

Thanked by 2hostnoob orak
  • Hosts would rather pay for positive "real user reviews" rather then negative comments for competitors' service.

• I'm guessing someone got the message because the host rebooted again this morning and iptables didn't get wiped.

I don't have a problem with reboots. I have a problem with resetting iptables, 7-8 hour outages, and tickets that take 35 hours to get a response.

I've had much better luck with Ramnode and DimeVPS.

• and......... it's down again.

It's like they are trying to get rid of me so that I won't post stuff like this anymore by repeatedly causing outages.

Same issue as a few days ago. IP replies to ping but no ports are active. Feature says "Unable to connect to the host node." when trying to do anything.

• Meh, jump ship to a different provider. If the downtime is that bad and support tickets take a while to get an answer, it might be worth it so you aren't completely down.

You could also try tagging @BlueVM here and see if they can look into it.

• my vps up for 53 days la node

• @CharlesA said:
    Meh, jump ship to a different provider. If the downtime is that bad and support tickets take a while to get an answer, it might be worth it so you aren't completely down.

You could also try tagging BlueVM here and see if they can look into it.

I have a number of VPSes, mostly with RamNode and VPSDime. I was testing out BlueVM with this one to see how they would fair and consider using them as well. Since this has turned out so poorly, it's just an issue of not moving any more services to them.

It's sad, because Featur is a pretty cool CP and they otherwise seem to have their act together. I have not seen many others claiming too many problems with BlueVM.

But, yes, if this continues on, I'll have no choice to do a backup and move the service somewhere else. That's assuming it ever comes back online. I just don't know at this point.

It took them seven or eight hours to restart the node or whatever it was they did last time, and over thirty-something hours just to reply to the ticket!

• @Acacy said:
    my vps up for 53 days la node

Feathur says I am on S13-CA.

• I just found this:

http://siwawan.blogspot.com/2014/06/bluevm-deadpool.html

I find it unlikely that BlueVM is about to go under, but it's not impossible.

• Speaking of @BlueVM sucking. 60% packet loss to my S7-ATL VPS. Yay!

• zedzed Member

@eiYeK8dozai6KahyB said:
    It's sad, because Featur is a pretty cool CP and they otherwise seem to have their act together. I have not seen many others claiming too many problems with BlueVM.

You may have neglected to search in this forum.

Thanked by 2W3Host RLT
  • @eiYeK8dozai6KahyB said:
    Feathur says I am on S13-CA.

I'm on S13-CA as well. I feel ya bro. This node reboots ALL the time and doesn't properly reactivate IPTables or TUN/TAP when it goes back up. This node also goes into a bizarre state (which it does often as well) where your VPS pings alright, but feathur won't show stats on the VPS and your VPS doesn't respond to SSH and all your services are down. It's essentially down but can respond to pings :/. In fact, it's currently in this state as I speak. With all this trouble I'm currently having with them, I wish I could have my UGVPS vps back. Against what most people say, it was super stable and I didn't have all this downtime ;(

• @heyits_bob said:
    I'm on S13-CA as well. I feel ya bro. This node reboots ALL the time and doesn't properly reactivate IPTables or TUN/TAP when it goes back up. This node also goes into a bizarre state (which it does often as well) where your VPS pings alright, but feathur won't show stats on the VPS and your VPS doesn't respond to SSH and all your services are down. It's essentially down but can respond to pings :/. In fact, it's currently in this state as I speak.

Yep. That's exactly what I'm seeing. I guess I'm not alone.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited August 2014

So Where's the story behind your username on LET here @eiYeK8dozai6KahyB

@BlueVM - Immediate response required

• @nexmark said:
    So Where's the story behind your username on LET here eiYeK8dozai6KahyB

BlueVM - Immediate response required

Random string of characters!

• @eiYeK8dozai6KahyB said:
    Random string of characters!

What do you pay BlueVM, To be honest with this many threads on BlueVM I would just buy some cheap Kimsufi server

• I'm on S13-CA too, it down all the time...

• Anyone have a ticket number?

• FritzFritz Veteran

Mine has 35 days uptime here.

• wendellwendell Member
    edited August 2014

My 2 VPS was suspended. I don't want to say any negative feedback here.
    View Ticket #912897

• @BlueVM said:
    Anyone have a ticket number?

Yeah, ticket #910289

• Ticket numbers 848003 and 704971.

Time to response on latest ticket: 10 hours.

I just looked at my VPS and it's still down. I saw a notification that it had booted early this morning, so it must have been up for at least a short while, but now it's dead again.

Actually, it looks like Feathur is down entirely right now: "504 Gateway Time-out" and "502 Bad Gateway". I can't access the site at all from my desktop. Interestingly, I can get there on my phone. CDN problem?

The latest ticket reply I got was "Yeah it's fixed now. Network fixed too.". Ha ha. Nope. It's still broken.

• My VPS is back up now. Not sure how long it will stay that way. Feathur is working again too.

• @BlueVM said:
    Anyone have a ticket number?

and my vps still down