Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up with DelimiterVPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's up with DelimiterVPS

hausarzthausarzt Member
edited August 2014 in Providers

a) My BL460C Dual X5150 blade gets restarted every 2-3 weeks. This is a dedicated server, why power-cycle it every other week?!

b) Currently, the server is unreachable for several hours. I can't even power-cycle it, looks like there's a problem with the entire chassis.

Anyone else having the same issues?

Comments

• Mine had a 30 minute issue today where the switch in the rack failed and they replaced it really quickly.

• ReeRee Member

Mine went up and down a couple times last night, and as of 3 hours ago has been offline again. There's a mention of a breaker trip on the network issues page, not sure if related.

• ghostwheelghostwheel Member
    edited August 2014

30 minute downtime around 7 hrs ago. Now currently experiencing ongoing downtime for 3hrs and counting. No response from support.

Open network issues report the following earlier today :
    "A breaker has tripped in Row E Rack 17 which contains 64 blade servers. The breaker has been reset and the servers restoring. "

• that presumably occurred during that 30 min blackout and I'm assuming the current problems is related to this.

Just wished I got an update to gauge how long services will be down.

edit
    @hausarzt
    About the power cycle - I see that as well occasionally . Find it rather odd and would prefer that doesn't happen as I'm running a rather large database so the server takes quite a while to reset itself and cache itself into memory everytime it restarts.

• Thanks guys, that breaker thing probably explains last night's outage & restart. I wonder why they didn't post it on Twitter as I usually don't visit their network status page.

• ReeRee Member

Yeah I don't either, until something goes wrong :)

• loydloyd Member

What is the latest news, anybody got a ticket answered?

• My ticket is still unanswered, no status update on their network status page, no nothing.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited August 2014

You should look at Delimiters past before you join them. scammy company run by scammers and the people scared to reveal who they are. their tax policies is also questionable

• edanedan Member
    edited August 2014

Please read their announcement https://clients.delimitervps.com/networkissues.php?view=open one of my box also down.

• I'm no expert, but shouldn't you have each power supply on a different circuit/feed/UPS in blades with redundant power supplies?

• My server is offline. Had the 10-minute outage 12 hours ago when the breaker failed, then about 5 hours later went down again and remains offline.

• And my server is back.

• Our server is working fine without any downtime.

• Wow yeah. Guess I made the magic post that got them going. :)

• loydloyd Member
    edited August 2014

My server still down.

UPDATE: ILO came up and I powered up the server. There is a setting to power up automatically after power is restored and I had mine set to off.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Mine was back up for a 1hr 30 mins, now it's back down. ILO isn't responding either.

• loydloyd Member

same here, was up now down

this is not funny anymore

• Scammy company is right. Stay away, there are much better solutions.

• @ghostwheel said:
    Mine was back up for a 1hr 30 mins, now it's back down. ILO isn't responding either.

Yeah, down again :-(

• New network updates :
    "15:30 GMT+0: Electrician is onsite and investigating this continued breaker failure

17:02 GMT+0: Electrician replacing breaker Date - 08/02/2014 22:05
    Last Updated - 08/03/2014 13:04"

It's being dealt with atm, so hopefully not much longer now.

• loydloyd Member
    edited August 2014

Does not seem like scam to me, and where else do you get Xeon 5150 with 16G blade for $20/m ?

This just seems like ignorance, cheap servers = cheap support. Someone did not pay attention at their courses and stacked more blades than breaker is rated for or did not allocate reserve for extra load and breaker keeps tripping.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • In past 4 weeks, my x5150 has gone down 3 times.
    1st time was a "gracefull shutdown" - where my ssh session was running, and I saw a message linux msg that "system is shutting down". I opened a ticket. Eventually they said that they see a message that "system overheated" and was shutdown. It was down for 90 minutes. They said next day a tech would shutdown my system to inspect the hardware. I waited, the system never went down - and when I asked them again 4 days later in the same open ticket, they asked whether the problem had reproduced, and if not, then there is no more issue. I dont think they bothered to check again. Since they were going to take the server down, I stopped using it for anything important - so there is no way it will re-produce.
    2nd time was wide scale unplanned outage
    3rd time is today.
    I thought with x5150 at $20 per month, I am getting more than I paid for. With these unplanned outages, there is no way I can use this for anything important. If I need to spend an hour or two each month then the x5150 is not worth the $20 per month.

**DelimiterVPS should offer prorated refund to those affected by these outages who choose to cancel their services in the middle of their 3 month cycle. ** Also, it would be great if they could make end users proactively aware of the outage BY EMAIL - rather than having users go to their website or their twitter account.

• The actual issue there was a three phase breaker feeding into one of the racks. Each rack has 64-128 blades in depending on the blade. This is powered by a 150A breaker and split across six power supplies, two per phase. The load in those racks is usually 80-100A depending on blade type so well within the NEC.

Breakers fail from time-to-time. This incident affected 64 customers out of 740 X5150 customers at that facility.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:
    The actual issue there was a three phase breaker feeding into one of the racks. Each rack has 64-128 blades in depending on the blade. This is powered by a 150A breaker and split across six power supplies, two per phase. The load in those racks is usually 80-100A depending on blade type so well within the NEC.

Breakers fail from time-to-time. This incident affected 64 customers out of 740 X5150 customers at that facility.

100A? Neat.

• loydloyd Member
    edited August 2014

Have been with them 8 months, not many issues. Got excited few weeks ago about lack of notification.

If not recovered by evening, I will restore my website on temporary VPS until fixed. Right now it works.

If this were $199/m managed rental, I would be saying otherwise, but I think Delimiter is great value and has done good job dealing with this problem on Sunday morning. Thumbs up.

Thanked by 2netomx ihatetonyy
  • 0xdragon - that switch failure happened as a result of the first power failure. There have been three incidents in the past 18 hours all on the same rack/breaker.

The first issue was resolved in about 30 minutes, second in about 5-6 hours after the electrician advised them NOT to repower the rack until he had arrived on site and verified the cabling/conduit/etc; at which point there was the final event when he took down the power to replace the breaker.

The amperage running across the circuit peaked at 104A and is generally within 83-88A over the past 24 hours. Even at peak which lasted about 20 seconds it is still within the NEC requirement of 20% derating for breakers. (150A-20% = 120A)

• @MarkTurner any reason why no emails and no subsequent updates are sent to affected customers when an outage is known by delimitervps?

• @MarkTurner Why do you wait for people on LET to bring up issues instead of you taking the initiative to post them on twitter, facebook, or via email... Slightly unprofessional to say the least.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Cltcam said:
    MarkTurner Why do you wait for people on LET to bring up issues instead of you taking the initiative to post them on twitter, facebook, or via email... Slightly unprofessional to say the least.

Because maybe people should check the locations the company is going to post first in the event of issues, such as their official twitter/facebook where all their customers can get the right information.