Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does ionice/nice in OpenVZ apply to only your VM or to all processes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does ionice/nice in OpenVZ apply to only your VM or to all processes?

Does ionice/nice in OpenVZ affect the scheduling priority of only the processes in the current VM, or does it apply across all the VM's of the host machine?

Comments

• Nice affects only your processes. Ionice doesn't work inside an openvz container.

Thanked by 2jar awvnx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2014

@sleddog said:
    Nice affects only your processes.

This, however the nice value on a process does have slight potential to impact other user's processes. The nice value is not only compared against that of other processes in your VPS, but all processes on the node. That is to say, you setting the nice value has the same value as the root node user setting the nice value.

Thanked by 2sleddog awvnx
  • So if I nice something to 10 it'll have lower priority than all non-niced processes on other nodes?

@awvnx said:
    So if I nice something to 10 it'll have lower priority than all non-niced processes on other nodes?

Correct. I think a lot of people don't realize this, I used to see people set their game servers to -19 all the time.

Thanked by 2Bayu awvnx
  • BayuBayu Member

@Jar said:
    Correct. I think a lot of people don't realize this, I used to see people set their game servers to -19 all the time.

I want to know more about this, can you give a more detailed explanation?

@Bayu said:
    I want to know more about this, can you give a more detailed explanation?

Basically as a customer on OpenVZ you can set your processes to have a higher or lower priority than other processes on the node. How much of an impact this can cause is a bit over my head in math, but the key is that in OpenVZ your container is not in itself a single process under which your processes run, like KVM. Your nice values would be respected as though the root node user set them, unless the OVZ kernel has a function that I'm unaware of.

Thanked by 3Bayu awvnx netpioneer