Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Uptime Scripts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Uptime Scripts

HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
edited June 2012 in General

Anyone use server uptime scripts like Zabbix or Nagios? I'm talking about scripts you install on your own server to monitor your servers not pingdom or uptimerobot (outside services).

Any other good scripts out there? Why did you choose that specific one?

I've tried a few and I can't seem to find one that's right for me. Zabbix is the closest (with multiple users) but I'm just wondering if there are more out there.

Comments

• VictorVictor Member

OpenStatus is pretty good :)

• klikliklikli Member

Hmm, openstatus.nickmoeck.com isn't loading right now.

Nameserver trace for openstatus.nickmoeck.com:

Looking for who is responsible for root zone and followed b.root-servers.net.
        Looking for who is responsible for com and followed e.gtld-servers.net.
        Looking for who is responsible for nickmoeck.com and followed ns2.valarhost.com.

Nameservers for openstatus.nickmoeck.com:

ns1.valarhost.com returned (SERVFAIL)
        ns2.valarhost.com returned (SERVFAIL)
  • NickMNickM Member

@klikli said: Hmm, openstatus.nickmoeck.com isn't loading right now.

Sorry about that. Unfortunate combination of my primary nameserver being down (crappy provider, haven't had a chance to move everything from it) and me forgetting to change my nameserver glue record when I moved my secondary NS. Whoops.

• Quite possible. I'd still have to mess around with it though!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

We use munin, Observium, and scrd+status, all are very easy to setup and use. For alerts, I use custom bash scripts. :)

• NickMNickM Member

@Jack said: Can you host it on Shared hosting?

Well, the server portion is written in python, and most shared hosts don't allow users to run permanent background processes, so that would be an issue. To use it on a shared host, you'd have to write a PHP script to replace the server component, and you'd have to make some changes to the client as well.

• RobertRobert Member

IMO, Zabbix is awesome. I started planning a hosted Zabbix service, but the project's been on hold for quite some time. I once offered free accounts on LET, but I think that was probably a previous incarnation of the site.

• RobertRobert Member

The above being said, Openstatus looks great. I'd heard people talking about it but hadn't looked in to it until now

• One thing I notice, OpenStatus-server eats up load...

And if I put 60sec update time on clients, status says its down..

• syamansyaman Member

My clients don't even report any stats (after the first time) if I set it to anything other than 60s. Otherwise it works great :)