Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM vs HyperVM (or alternative)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM vs HyperVM (or alternative)

edited June 2012 in General

As a VPS user, would you prefer SolusVM?
I have tried the demo of HyperVM (have not installed onto a system yet). I found it to offer a lot of features into an easy-to-use panel. Also, it's free (Open source) and easy to install!

• OpenVZ and Xen virtualization support
  • Windows and Linux
  • WHMCS integration
  • etc.

http://lxcenter.org/software/hypervm/

As a host/server admin or an end user: What are your thoughts?

Comments

• HyperVM is confusing.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @EricCubixCloud said: What are your thoughts?

I don't care as long as i can reboot and reinstall. Extras are pretty graphs, root password reset and a console.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

@Daniel said: HyperVM is confusing.

For some clients it is, but I don't actually mind it, just that it doesn't support RHEL 6 "out of the box" and I really can't be arsed to tweak it to work. I've got better things to do.

@gsrdgrdghd said: I don't care as long as i can reboot and reinstall. Extras are pretty graphs, root password reset and a console.

I agree as long as it works, out of the control panels I do prefer SolusVM.

• @Infinity said: For some clients it is, but I don't actually mind it, just that it doesn't support RHEL 6 "out of the box" and I really can't be arsed to tweak it to work. I've got better things to do.

Its the out-of-the-box design thats confusing.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Then, you can use the hypervm API and make your own control panel :P

• I used to use/prefer HyperVM but after last MASSIVE security breach of Lxadmin(known as Kloxo now) and HyperVM I simply couldn't trust them anymore :(

edited June 2012

@rsk said: Then, you can use the hypervm API and make your own control panel :P

I think I might check out Proxmox's API, and create a CP based on that like RamHost did (I think they did that).

@apollo15 said: but after last MASSIVE security breach

That was a long time ago, and there are new developers but I'm just too creeped out with the guys suicide attempt to want to use it, besides I've already stated why I don't use it.

• @Infinity said: guys suicide attempt

I don't think it was just an attempt

@apollo15 said: but after last MASSIVE security breach

This has been cleared up long ago - or are there still ongoing concerns?

@Daniel said: HyperVM is confusing.

I find it fairly easy to move around in and as @gsrdgrdghd said, as long as you can do the basic tasks + the extras it offers.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

HyperVM is a mess to be quite honest.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Jack said: I was told that SolusVM's coding looks very similar to HyperVM's

solus just made a nice skin.

Well, I believe the question was about what you prefered as a user... code quality is not really relevant for that.

• @Jack said: I prefer Solus , HyperVM is horrible.

I think the opposite. SolusVM is run by people who dont care about the service in general. e.g if your server develops a fault because of there software they blame it on ur server.and refer you to a affiliate of theres (Which they probably get a chunk from).

• I'd say HyperVM is nice once you get used to it. SolusVM works but simplifies everything.

edited June 2012

@EricCubixCloud said: I don't think it was just an attempt

Bleh, I know he hung himself, bad choice of words..

• RandyRandy Member

HyperVM is not is horrible it is just not as neat at SolusVM . if you have the budget get solus if not use HyperVM

Thanked by 1EricCubixCloud
  • TazTaz Member

If you are in a business where you are supposed to make money and can not afford a decent panel for 10-20$/no( afford not need, you are welcome to opensource panel if you do not like to pay, but if you can not pay), then I am sorry to say, This business is not for you.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I actually enjoy the hypervm interface more, but I couldn't care less about the panel when making a choice. It doesn't even occur to me to ask the question before I make a purchase.

• @NinjaHawk said: If you are in a business where you are supposed to make money and can not afford a decent panel for 10-20$/no

Just because you run a business does not meen you need to spend loads of cash. Infact the less you spend the better.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@DanielM said: Just because you run a business does not meen you need to spend loads of cash. Infact the less you spend the better.

Very good point (also the reason I'm using Plesk 8 on my shared server - I'm not paying a penny for it!) but the reason SolusVM stands out IMHO is the WHMCS module - you can do even more with the SolusVM module that you can with the OnApp one, let alone HyperVM which is outdated. As you get more servers, you need that automation, especially in the low end market, to save costs.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

But you need to provide the best possible product to your client's. Not the cheapest.

• @NinjaHawk said: But you need to provide the best possible product to your client's. Not the cheapest.

You need to provide a product that works.Whats the point in spending money when you don't need to?

• Personally, I find SolusVM to be simple and much better than HyperVM.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited June 2012

hypervm is good with a small mumbers of servers yes automation is neededcor you will have a hard time

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

What are the options for Xen? I've only experience with Xen Server so far... (never tried with solus) and I'm looking for something that support last xen 4 releases

• @DanielM, when you run a business you need something easy to use, robust and easy to support, and the 10$ a month shouldn't matter! For a LEB $10 is alot of money for a server full of LEBs 10$ is not alot of money.

• @unixguru said: @DanielM, when you run a business you need something easy to use, robust and easy to support, and the 10$ a month shouldn't matter! For a LEB $10 is alot of money for a server full of LEBs 10$ is not alot of money.

Its not the fact of it being $10 or even $50. its the fact it costs more and its pointless paying more. merely for a different theme. I have never had a customer that complained about hypervm or virtualizor.

• Could always pay for Virtuozzo

• Virtuozzo is very best

• Anyone considering HyperVM (yes I'm aware this is an old thread), I hereby advise you to pick something else. Not Solus though. Solus is a mess.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited August 2013

@Magiobiwan said:
    Anyone considering HyperVM (yes I'm aware this is an old thread), I hereby advise you to pick something else. Not Solus though. Solus is a mess.

I know you guys at BuyVM(iamstupid) BLUEVM have said you ran a duct-taped HyperVM in the past. Any chance of that ever seeing the light of day, even with your advice above?

• @ihatetonyy - Well we work for BlueVM ;) anyway what's likely going to happen is we'll be releasing a open source version of Feathur for personal use and then just charge licensing on commercial copies.

I don't think we'll ever release anything we did to HyperVM, its just not worth the hassle.