Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hubic cloud vs dropbox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hubic cloud vs dropbox

Hey guys,

what do you think of using the hubic cloud (25gb free) as an alternative to free dropbox where I only have 6,5 gb.

Do you think its a safe storage solution? i also plan to buy the 1eur for 100gb plan.

cheers

Comments

• I've heard that upload/download is heavily throttled on Hubic.

• Yeah, painfully slow.

Thanked by 1ndlong75
  • Dropbox has no speedcaps. Hubic does. (although the upload speed cap seems to have gone)

• blackblack Member

Get a ramnode $15/year with 80 GB of space and run your own Owncloud.

• socials said: I've heard that upload/download is heavily throttled on Hubic.

not anymore for the upload. although download is still.

• marrcomarrco Member

black said: Get a ramnode $15/year with 80 GB of space and run your own Owncloud.

or http://pyd.io/

• Dropbox speed for me is horrid on upload and downloads, hubic ftw

• ad0ad0 Member

Bitcasa is also in this competion

• BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited July 2014

Hubic not only throttles your Up/Down speed, but also bills you twice or even worse. Check with their forums, since this is the only way of support - truly shite. I've had quite some fun times with them: not responding to topics, sending me 1-3 automated e-mails per day for "unpaid bill" that was already paid, etc.

I went from Dropbox->Google Drive->Box.com->Cubby down to Mega(.co.nz). Stayed with Mega for some time, simply awesome service: 50GB free and speeds >6MB/s (uncheck the SSL from your client Control Panel; otherwise, you'll get steady 2MB/s).

For the future I'm definitely going to move to OwnCloud, now that it touched version 7 stable.

LE: don't even try to store numerous files with hubic. A simple copy or move/paste inside the shared folder would trigger total reindexation -> and it takes hell alot of time. Haven't had this with Mega.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2014

said: Do you think its a safe storage solution?

I wonder what do you mean by that. Do you intend to store the only copy of some important data, up there in the cloud (be it Dropbox, Hubic, whatever)? Are you crazy. And if not, since you will have a local backup anyway, just use whatever works for you. OVH isn't going away anytime soon, Hubic may get discontinued of course, but I bet they'll give warnings in advance and will let you use up (or refund) the already paid periods.

• @rm_ said:
    I wonder what do you mean by that. Do you intend to store the only copy of some important data, up there in the cloud (be it Dropbox, Hubic, whatever)? Are you crazy. And if not, since you will have a local backup anyway, just use whatever works for you. OVH isn't going away anytime soon, Hubic may get discontinued of course, but I bet they'll give warnings in advance and will let you use up (or refund) the already paid periods.

By that I just meant some coding stuff, scripts and stuff. Nothing personal and important. All shiet I got printed right here m8.

Thats for the tips. Decided to Re-Use my old server and setup owncloud lol.

cheers