Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ramnode new offers? Standard or Premium?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ramnode new offers? Standard or Premium?

I found some changes about the ramnode offer.

1. CVZ's vSwap lower to half of the origin.
  2. new Standard offers, lower bw more ram.

What would you prefer?

Comments

• ARKARK Member

就是不告诉你

• ARKARK Member

the most of is CPU

• Our Premium VPS plans are hosted on Intel E3 v2/v3 CPUs with a minimum per core speed of 3.3GHz. Our Standard and Massive VPS plans are hosted on Intel E5 v1/v2 CPUs with a minimum per core speed of 2.3GHz

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

RamNode suspend your vps way before you hit any CPU limits, so go for the Standard plans.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • TriDoxiuMTriDoxiuM Member
    edited July 2014

@ARK said:
    就是不告诉你

What don't you want to tell us?

• AmitzAmitz Member

@tr1cky said:
    RamNode suspend your vps way before you hit any CPU limits, so go for the Standard plans.

That "0.9 of a core"-rule while selling access to up to 4 cores always gave me an unsafe feeling with their generally great service. So I moved away and never looked back.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • StellaEVStellaEV Member
    edited July 2014

@Amitz said:
    That "0.9 of a core"-rule while selling access to up to 4 cores always gave me an unsafe feeling with their generally great service. So I moved away and never looked back.

The AUP has been updated a bit since to be more specific

Client agrees not to run any processes on his or her VPS which use the equivalent of a full CPU core (1.0 CPU load) or more for an extended period of time. An extended period of time will generally mean one (1) hour, but will depend upon the CPU load and level of impact on other clients sharing the physical server. Disruptive CPU usage may result in a reboot, shutdown, and/or suspension of the VPS regardless of the time lapse involved.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • I've been considering picking up another machine from RamNode as well, but I'm also not sure between the Premium and Standard plans. Aren't E5's better than E3's? Or does the clock speed have a greater impact with this type of thing?

• @Amitz said:

Mind telling us who gives unthrottled cores and allow you to use them all the time except Abusive Cores?

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @JustAMacUser said:
    I've been considering picking up another machine from RamNode as well, but I'm also not sure between the Premium and Standard plans. Aren't E5's better than E3's? Or does the clock speed have a greater impact with this type of thing?

Faster clock speed means faster processing, but it also depends on what you are running on your VPS.

@serverian said:
    Mind telling us who gives unthrottled cores and allow you to use them all the time except Abusive Cores?

Pretty much nailed it. I don't see why having a limit in the AUP as a bad thing, it helps them deal with people who abuse their VPSes and affect other clients.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2014

It's not about doing this 24/7. But Prometeus, for example, are way more relaxed.
    Example:
    http://i.imgur.com/dpaJXP0.jpg
    Not doable with Ramnode,but doable with Prometeus. Note that the munin graph does not show a Prometeus VPS, but the same usage was no problem there.

• @Amitz said:
    It's not about doing this 24/7. But Prometeus, for example, are way more relaxed.

They throttle the vCPUs. Try again.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2014

Well, @Maounique can surely clarify this. I had no problems during the time I used them for the specific site with high CPU usage from time to time over several hours. With Ramnode, I always was in fear that they could suspend my VPS because of that passage in their AUP.

• btw the standard plans aren't available in NL

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited July 2014

@Nick_A why is the NL location not available for the standard plans?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

And I was planning to post an ad here today... :)

@Amitz - Am I right in understanding that you left out of fear of the hypothetical without actually experiencing problems? Or did you receive a bunch of warning tickets?

@tr1cky - I'm pretty sure we've been over this before, but that's not accurate. You would be seeing hundreds of people running around complaining if that were the case. I realize you had a bad experience (or your client did? I can't remember), but that's not enough to start generalizing so broadly.

@JustAMacUser said:
    I've been considering picking up another machine from RamNode as well, but I'm also not sure between the Premium and Standard plans. Aren't E5's better than E3's? Or does the clock speed have a greater impact with this type of thing?

E5s have a somewhat slower clock speed than E3s; however, I doubt many people actually notice the difference since we are talking 2.6GHz on almost all of our E5 nodes (E5-2630v2). Most of our "slow" stuff is faster than the performance lines at other hosts. The E5s are just a better system to be able to offer more disk space than our E3s. If you're running a Minecraft server or something similar, you need to go with an E3. Pretty much everything else will run great on our E5s.

@varwww said:
    Nick_A why is the NL location not available for the standard plans?

Still working on it.

said: CVZ's vSwap lower to half of the origin.

Actually all existing OpenVZ plans were changed in that manner. Extra space, less vswap basically. Existing VPSs were given the extra space for free (minus the few with custom plans or those on really old plans as explained in our recent News posts).

Thanked by 2JustAMacUser Blanoz
  • AmitzAmitz Member

@Nick_A: Indeed. And I am sure that I am not the only one. That clause can make people with sporadical peaks over some hours become nervous to have their VPS suspended while being away from Internet access. I enjoyed your service overall, but that Damocles Sword in your AUP felt bad.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited July 2014

Did you open a ticket or contact us to work through it? Many people have and have come away satisfied. It sounds like you left without verifying whether your fears were well founded or not, which is unfortunate to say the least.

Thanked by 1Ndha
  • RamNode never suspended me because I used to much CPU. They notified me, or they rebooted my server, or they stopped it and notified me.

My CPU usage is the least i'm worried about.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited July 2014

serverian said: They throttle the vCPUs. Try again.

I think they've said they don't throttle OpenVZ?

Anyways, I personally don't fault providers for imposing CPU limits -- I just don't like RamNode's way of doing it because it doesn't scale at all based on the number of vCPUs your plan has. Before I saw your post here I was actually going to point to the way you do it with VPSDime as a better example. Even though all your plans have 4 cores, the limit's at least based on that number.

• NdhaNdha Member

@Nick_A said:
    Did you open a ticket or contact us to work through it? Many people have and have come away satisfied. It sounds like you left without verifying whether your fears were well founded or not, which is unfortunate to say the least.

I opened ticket and @Nick_A solved it very fast :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

tr1cky said: RamNode suspend your vps way before you hit any CPU limits, so go for the Standard plans.

I was just warned, but my vps was not turned off or suspended after accidentally having many hours of heavy cpu.

• AmitzAmitz Member

How many hours of how heavy CPU usage if I may ask?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

At least 8 hrs @Amitz

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2014

Thanks! How much CPU did you use during that time (in cores)? I am evaluating whether I use RamNode again and that information would be highly appreciated! @jcaleb

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Amitz said: Thanks! How much CPU did you use during that time (in cores)? I am evaluating whether I use RamNode again and that information would be highly appreciated! @jcaleb

But they told me to fix it anyway, and I did. It's just a cron job that went wild. I still think they wont allow cpu abuse. But in case of accidents, I think they will give you a change to fix it.