Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows on Kimsufi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows on Kimsufi

hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Hi all,
I know some of you are going to say 'You can't do this', but you can. I am going to be getting a KS4 from Kimsufi and I wanted to know weather this will run Windows Server 2012. If not, which Kimsufi servers will?

Thanks
Harry

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Red the forum or @joodle 's signature

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I remember reading that there was some sort of issue with the network interface on some servers. I also have another question. I am from the UK and I am going to use a UK bank card to order a server from their UK website. Does anyone have any info/past experience of any ID verification that they did?

Thanks
    Harry

• http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30543/need-some-people-with-a-kimsufi-server-help-testing-windows-7-server-2008-r2#latest

as for verification, I sent an email with a photo of a phone bill. I blanked out everything except my name and address

Right, so I could use a bank statement as I dont receive a phone bill

• Yep

With @joodle 's signature, what Kimsufi servers are unable with Windows server? Just to confirm, Win 2k8 server would work on KS4

• swi7chswi7ch Member
    edited July 2014

My knowledge about servers rivals that of a third grader and even I was able to isntall Windows 2012 R2 on a Kimsufi thanks to Joodle's instructions.

• hawc said: With @joodle 's signature, what Kimsufi servers are unable with Windows server? Just to confirm, Win 2k8 server would work on KS4

A lot don't work with 2012 R2 as far as i know, the rest (2008 R2, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7) should work just fine on any kimsufi server

Ok cool, any ideas what servers KS4 runs on and how long it will be until Windows Server 2012 is compatible with the others?

Thanks for all
    Harry

• joodle said: A lot don't work with 2012 R2 as far as i know, the rest (2008 R2, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7) should work just fine on any kimsufi server

On a KS-1 or KS-2 (any with Atom D425 on intel D425KT motherboard) 2012 R2 works fine out of the box (tried it myself).
    2008R2 and Win7 don't work though. No ping, no RDP ... most likely because no ethernet driver (realtek) has been integrated.

Ref. my posts here
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30543/need-some-people-with-a-kimsufi-server-help-testing-windows-7-server-2008-r2#

Would be great if the 2008 R2 and 7 images could be fixed..

edited July 2014

Joodle, just got the server and tried your details and got not found on the download for Win2k8. Any ideas?

SORTED: User error, now waiting for my KS4 with Win2k8 to respond to ping and then I am done installing,

Hmm, did not respond to ping so am formatting the drive and then reisntalling using netboot and shred

• DavidxDavidx Member

@hawc said:
    Hmm, did not respond to ping so am formatting the drive and then reisntalling using netboot and shred

Did you try RDP?

Yes, it failed to connect. Any help?

Just reintsalled it. Now waiting for it to respond to ping. Any ideas how long this will be.

• BamboozBambooz Member
    edited July 2014

@hawc Normally it responds to ping and RDP within about a minute after the reboot via the manager. If it doesn't, the LAN driver wasn't installed (or integrated properly).
    This is what happened with both Win7 and 2008R2 on my old KS-2G..

Try the 2012 R2 or Win8 image. If one of them works, it definitely is a driver issue.

Trying to reboot to get into the netboot system but getting 'An intervention is currently being carried out'? What does this mean?

Is there anyone here who would be willing to install it for me as I seem to be having no luck doing this?

Thanks
    Harry

I think that the issue is that the server did have centos on it before. Could this be part of the issue, if it is, how do I remove it?

• Have you disabled monitoring? Try windows 8.1, it could be a driver issue with the other templates.

edited August 2014

Yes, I tried it and it worked but I do not have a key for Windows 8 pro. We did get it to go though (at about 1AM this morning).....

Through dreamspark, I can get keys for Win server 2k8 and Win server 2k12. I am trying Win 2k12 on my KS4 atm.

EDIT: 2k12 did not respond to ping so am trying 2008 again....