Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russia offers $110,000 to crack Tor anonymous network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Russia offers $110,000 to crack Tor anonymous network

"Russia has offered 3.9m roubles ($110,000; £65,000) in a contest seeking a way to crack the identities of users of the Tor network."

bbc.com/news/technology-28526021

The new devil, for governments in their try to have absolute control over the internet?

Comments

• Horrible, time to start layering private VPN's, I2P, and Tor.

• cassacassa Member

I lol'd

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Yeah well the original wording was (before it got classified), something along the lines of "Conduct a scientific research work on the possibility of tracking down real identities of users on the Tor network". So it seems like this absolutely included the possibility of saying "We conducted our research work, Tor network works like this, we tried this and that, everything failed, hence our conclusion is that it's not possible to track down Tor users" and still collect the money.

Also this is not a competition of any kind, more like a state-run reverse-auction (probably listed alongside others on that website, with other state departments looking for cheap deals to purchase pens or paper or chairs or computers for their offices), where after the "executor" of the contract is chosen, only that party is given the job.

• I don't know Tor well and don't use it, but my initial thought is that running a large number of exit nodes and firing requests to known targets would help identify the network routes taken by seeing how much latency there is between the initial request and the response.

In any event, it reeks of "sounds like the yanks are doing it and we'd like to know how too".

• PwnerPwner Member

In other news, the NSA has graciously received a donation of $110,000 from an anonymous benefactor.

• They should increase the bid IMO :)

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited July 2014

edit: wrong window!

• wojonswojons Member

Not that 110k is not some good money i would not touch that project expossing millsions of people around the world for that amount of money. We have to start adding a few zeros. nothing less then 10 million to even think about it.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2014

wojons said: i would not touch that project expossing millsions of people around the world for that amount of money

I suspect the thousands that would have been happy to do it with less zeros are not really concerned.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

wojons said: Not that 110k is not some good money i would not touch that project expossing millsions of people around the world for that amount of money. We have to start adding a few zeros. nothing less then 10 million to even think about it.

Good to know the price at which you'd sell out your fellow humans.

Thanked by 2support123 Floris
  • rds100rds100 Member

This is just a hidden way to increase the popularity of tor ;-)

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited July 2014

What? You mean governments other than the US eavesdrop on the Internet? So the world outside of the US doesn't consist of magical ponies shitting golden privacy rainbows?

Shocking, just shocking.

• larslars Member

Would it even be possible?..

• How hard would it be to crack Tor?

• raindog308 said: Good to know the price at which you'd sell out your fellow humans.

my eyes almost rolled out of my head reading this

• @eddynetweb said:
    How hard would it be to crack Tor?

As easy as cracking an onion like an egg perhaps...

Maybe through emulation / imitation who knows.