Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best place to find Sys Admin help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best place to find Sys Admin help

jnelson3149jnelson3149 Member
edited July 2014 in Help

Where is the best place to look for system administrator help. Items like: install software, setup cron jobs, migrate servers, setup panels, secure servers, mail servers, troubleshoot, etc. etc. Generally I use CENTOS. This is not a full time position, but 5-25 hours per month.
All suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Google

• khavkhav Member

Google , LET , serverfault/stackoverflow in that order

• while google and serverfault are good options, make sure you inspect the code before actually running it, or you might end up getting rm -rf / 'd

• IRC on freenode

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@jnelson3149 said:
    Where is the best place to look for system administrator help. Items like: install software, setup cron jobs, migrate servers, setup panels, secure servers, mail servers, troubleshoot, etc. etc. Generally I use CENTOS
    All suggestions appreciated.

Your mom?

• Jack said: What's your problem?

It's not one problem, its ongoing things. In the next month I have to migrate 400 emails off of an aged mail server onto a new one. The software has to be installed on the new server. I need some custom images for VMs created. I need some DNS stuff upgraded and migrated, etc. etc.

• If there is an etc etc your best bet is paying someone to do it and give you the commands they used. That's a lot of info

Thanked by 1netomx
  • BlanozBlanoz Member

@exussum said:
    If there is an etc etc your best bet is paying someone to do it and give you the commands they used. That's a lot of info

If you pull out the money (which I'd recommend you to do), do yourself a favor and pull out a little more and ask the helper to describe his steps so you can learn/teach yourself in the future.

• Mikrovps has some nice sysadmin help, one ofy friends used it in the past and said it was great. Just send them a support ticket and they will work it out with you.

• exussum said: If there is an etc etc your best bet is paying someone to do it and give you the commands they used. That's a lot of info

I am looking for paid help, and obviously I want procedures followed, and documented. It's not that I can't do it, it's just that there is no time to do everything.

• To those of you who said Google, or my mom, I must not have made myself clear. I am looking to hire paid help for system administrator work, not do searches for commands, etc.

Best regards,

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@jnelson3149 said:
    To those of you who said Google, or my mom, I must not have made myself clear. I am looking to hire paid help for system administrator work, not do searches for commands, etc.

Best regards,

Feel free to shoot me a PM.

• @matthewvz said:
    Feel free to shoot me a PM.

I can recommend @matthewvz.

Thanked by 1matthewvz
  • taronyutaronyu Member
    edited July 2014

@jhadley

If he isn't short on time.

• jhjh Member

Thanks for the recommendation. @jnelson3149, email me a bit more information about what you will want installed etc and I'll get back to you. I will have a bit of spare time.

• There are a lot of sys admins…..

• platinumservermanagement is also good.