Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you need IPs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do you need IPs?

Well, with lots of IPs being given out by a few hosts for free, this question begs to be asked. Why do you need lots of IPs?

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

I require 2 IPs on some of VMs because I use them to host web-content and an OpenVPN server. I run each on separate IPs so that when connecting to the web-content via the VPN, the traffic is still tunnelled.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep
  • wychwych Member

Most get them for VPN/spam/irc from what I have seen.

• @wych said:
    Most get them for VPN/spam/irc from what I have seen.

VPN? Why do you need multiple IPs for a VPN, unless you're doing something bad...

@Jylee said:
    Some treats ips as girls, the more ips they have, the better they feel.

Haha, that's great.

• W3HostW3Host Member

VPN services, spam and hosting websites on dedicated IPs. There are more but I can't think.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Because Buyvm gave me then? Why not!

• I have openvz containers for mail server, web and mysql, game servers and development so that if I muck anything up the rest of my services will still function normally!

• rds100rds100 Member

said: Why do you need lots of IPs?

Just to have as many as possible so when they run out and the price rises... profit.

• @rds100 said:

I, uhh, I don't think it works that way for the end user... :P

@AlexanderM said:
    Because Buyvm gave me then? Why not!

What a great reason.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Steven_F no, it's that way for the providers :) This is the reason for the offers with many free IPs.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@rds100 explained why providers offer much IPs. The reason the end user gets them is cause they are free or dirt cheap. TBH, I rarely use more than 1 IP per virtual server, however if they are giving 30 for free, why not?

• To hog the IP space

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited July 2014

Backup servers wouldn't even need any IPv4 addresses (NATed only), because it simply doesn't matter if you rsync your stuff to port :22 or :25901. Hey doesn't that sound like a new kind of offer? Some OVZ container with auto 5 nat port assignment, auto ssh setup and a lot of space (i know that exists, but often this is at the very very low end of things like LES).

@Nick_A, actually i am really interested if a ramnode box can be cheaper if you don't want any IPv4?

• Usually just two, for hosting sites.

• @AlexBarakov said:
    rds100 explained why providers offer much IPs. The reason the end user gets them is cause they are free or dirt cheap. TBH, I rarely use more than 1 IP per virtual server, however if they are giving 30 for free, why not?

I'm curious from a user's end, not why a provider might.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2014

kcaj said: I require 2 IPs on some of VMs because I use them to host web-content and an OpenVPN server. I run each on separate IPs so that when connecting to the web-content via the VPN, the traffic is still tunnelled.

I feel after some thinking and configuring you can get the behavior you want with just a single IP.

Jylee said: Some treats ips as girls, the more ips they have, the better they feel.

Not just IPs, but VPSes and servers in general. Oh, but of course personally I don't have this problem. And it's not like all my machines are named after anime girls, or anything of that kind. Absolutely, absolutely not.

• J1021J1021 Member

rm_ said: I feel after some thinking and configuring you can get the behavior you want with just a single IP.

Yeh you can if you want to be fiddling about with it.

• @kcaj said:
    Yeh you can if you want to be fiddling about with it.

Save IPs, waste time! Fiddle about! :P

• @Steven_F said: Well, with lots of IPs being given out by a few hosts for free, this question begs to be asked. Why do you need lots of IPs?

(1) On any VM's to host multiple domains with SSL,
    (2) On KVM's with virtualization setup, using additional IP's to run OpenVZ or other containers.

• @aglodek said:

SSL doesn't require a dedicated IP anymore

Thanked by 2aglodek rm_
  • @xDutchy said: SSL doesn't require a dedicated IP anymore

So I've heard, but havn't tried installing one like that yet. BTW, is this true for EV SSL's, too?

• xDutchyxDutchy Member
    edited July 2014

@aglodek said:

AFAIK yes, not entirely sure tho. Might wanna do a quick search or wait for someone to confirm / deny this :)

• xDutchy said: SSL doesn't require a dedicated IP anymore

HTTPS does not require a dedicated IP. However, there are other TLS (SSL) encrypted applications that do - any application that does not use the HTTP protocol (and does not uses the hostname header). For example, IMAP, Exchange, SMTP, XMPP, etc.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Hoarding, so when prices rise, i'm not impacted for a period of time.

• @xDutchy said: AFAIK yes, not entirely sure tho. Might wanna do a quick search or wait for someone to confirm / deny this :)

Plus here is a little tidbit I have just came across while playing with Nginx under Virtualmin:

Nginx as configured by Virtualmin lacks some features of Apache, such as :

• Only one virtual server can have SSL enabled per IP address, even if a wildcard or UCC certificate would potentially allow multiple SSL sites to share the same IP.

Does anyone here know if this is Virtualmin-specific only, or equally true for any server running Nginx (without Virtualmin on the box)?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

xDutchy said: SSL doesn't require a dedicated IP anymore

People keep saying this, but other people keep using Win XP.

• raindog308 said: Win XP

And with IE, especially in the corporate world.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Silvenga said: HTTPS does not require a dedicated IP. However, there are other TLS (SSL) encrypted applications that do - any application that does not use the HTTP protocol (and does not uses the hostname header). For example, IMAP, Exchange, SMTP, XMPP, etc.

Pretty certain XMPP does not require an IP per domain either.

• To make awesome traces via rdns entries.

• To assist crossing the great firewall.