Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your thoughts about MariaDB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your thoughts about MariaDB

Hey,

I've been using MariaDB on my not so low end servers (512MB) and it runs fine, with no hiccups along with Apache on 2 CentOS 6.4 machine.

What are your thoughts around this fork of MySQL? For me is running fine and I'm putting it in production, what about you?

Comments

• We recently converted a lot of our server databases to use MariaDB instead of MySQL. If configured correctly with the right stuff the improvements are enough to warrant a change if your current server is maxing out with MySQL

• I went through a long way from MySQL -> Percona -> MariaDB, I would say Maria definitely works a lot better on the LEBs, Percona start to get unstable after a while and need a restart but Maria seems to be running just fine.

• I've been using it instead of mysql for a while now and I haven't had any problems.

• I use it on one server, because apt kept failing when trying to install mysql, so I just put mariadb on there. no problems with it

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited July 2014

Like someone said before, much stable then basic MySql server. I did have time to time downtime on my server with MySql but when i installed and set MariaDB, data base was stable for last few months.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

You can't go wrong with MariaDB, I use it whenever possible.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

I use it for my personal blog and also replaced MySQL with MariaDB on one of the cPanel servers, but cannot say if there's any significant noticeable change in performance or stability as neither of them are really that loaded, yet. I have to do some kind of in-depth testing on it one of these days.

Runs like a German cucko clock for me and that's good in my book :)

• lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited July 2014

MariaDB is awesome, has to be stable if mr Monty is behind it.

I use MariaDB in a cluster setup and works great not many issue over last year,
    also the other day i noticed VPSDime use MariaDB 10 for there offload mysql package and there setup is very fast.

• Having been using MariaDB for a long time and so far so good.

• netrixnetrix Member

How about cpu and ram usage? Is MariaDB more efficient?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Converted from Percona to MariaDB last year. Only issues found with the unstable 10 branch, 5.5 perfectly stable and performs better.

• Make sure the check compatibility before switching. Mariadb breaks Zarafa and many other applications. There is also no migration path back to MySQL if there are any errors.

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited July 2014

Silvenga said: Make sure the check compatibility before switching. Mariadb breaks Zarafa and many other applications. There is also no migration path back to MySQL if there are any errors.

Proof please. MariaDB itself should not break anything, if you configure it. It has some options. For example you may turn off MariaDB query optimization.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited July 2014

Profforg said: For example you may turn off MariaDB query optimization.

I'm just saying that MariaDB is not a drop in replacement. Some applications required a real MySQL server because only a real MySQL server handles undefined actions a certain way, an example: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=995870 (there are many other issues with Zarafa and MariaDB, I'm just having issues connecting to their tracker). If there is one corporate program that breaks with MariaDB, there is guaranteed to be others.

There is also the issue where there is no way to revert. If MariaDB does break things, there is no easy way to recover.

MariaDB is doing everything it should be doing, MySQL is doing everything that people except. What happens when these two things are not the same? As always we should test MariaDB in our domain, then deploy to live.

• @SplitIce said: Converted from Percona to MariaDB last year (...)

Why did you go from Percona to MariaDB?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@aglodek For two applications - performance, more recently we changed our other server just for consistency.

Something about MariaDB produces a more stable load and quicker queries on average. Probably the optimizer.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Are there any performance related differences between them?

• @socials said:
    Are there any performance related differences between them?

I've been using it because I read on internet that, yeah it is much faster and less resource hogger on servers.
    But I didn't do any tests yet.

• joshinjoshin Member

I'm very happy with MariaDB. We're using 5.5 in a Galera cluster config. Performance is great but the cluster is a touch more fragile than I'd like.

Trying to cluster some MyISAM is probably the cause and the Galera 10.x will likely solve it. (MyISAM isn't particularly cluster compatible.)

• BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited July 2014

@socials said:
    Are there any performance related differences between them?

Performance is best visible on busy servers. As for low traffic servers, you don't get to restart the SQL server every couple of weeks or after serious spikes in traffic - it is far more stable.

• @matthewvz said:
    You can't go wrong with MariaDB, I use it whenever possible.

• rokokrokok Member

recently moved to MariaDB, feel more quicker.
    its stable, for production better get on clean install

• @joshin said: I'm very happy with MariaDB. We're using 5.5 in a Galera cluster config. Performance is great but the cluster is a touch more fragile than I'd like.

Have you tried the same setup with Percona, and if so, how does MariaDB+Galera compare to Percona+Galera? I'm mainly interested in stability and hassle free operation under low to medium load. Speed is not the main concern.

Percona seems to offer better integration with Galera (XtraDB Cluster) and some interesting tools, like XtraDB storage engine (improved on InnoDB?) and XtraBackup. Thoughts, anyone...?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@aglodek - MariaDB use Percona's XtraDB

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • joshinjoshin Member

@aglodek said:

Nope, I heard worse things about Percona from people I trust. And our 'fragility' issues with MariaDB Galera were mostly on us, not it.

As soon a MariaDB Galera 10.1.13 is out - the first release post GA, we'll be upgrading.

XtraBackup is how we back our databases up and also how we sync DB nodes after a reboot or crash.

We currently have the DB cluster behind a redundant HAProxy pair but plan on eventually upgrade that to MaxScale since it's smarter than HAProxy.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Been using it for production for roughly a month now. It seems to be doing great, way better then MySQL. It's also a bit easier on resources as compared to MySQL.