Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crisis $15 A Year Special - A Real World Review - Plus New SSD Preview
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crisis $15 A Year Special - A Real World Review - Plus New SSD Preview

FrankZFrankZ Veteran
edited July 2014 in Reviews

Things have change a lot during the nine months I have had this VPS, a Crissic 512MB $15 a year special. It started out as good, and just kept getting better from there. I originally purchased the VPS as a place to dump 50GB of backup files, I did not expect much for $15 a year. IPv6 and the ability to set my own rDNS with out a ticket, was a plus. It did its thing as a place to dump files for a few months without issue, but it was kinda slow. Nothing to complain about, but not impressive.

In December my backup mail server at another provider started having recurring problems, so I set up my mail stack on this VPS. Normally this mail stack runs well in 1GB of RAM, and not so well in 512MB. I figured this would answer the question of how much spare capacity the node had and if the VPS had 512MB of swap that was there when it was needed. The mail server worked flawlessly for a little more then 3 months before I moved it to a larger server due to disk space requirements. I was very happy with the VPS during this time.

After moving the mail stack off Crissic in April I opened my first ticket and asked Skylar to move me to one of the new nodes. The migration was completed in 12 minutes from the time I first opened the ticket. Fast and painless is an understatement. The new node was much faster and much more useful. I was using the VPS for development work a month later when I asked Skylar if I could have FUSE enabled. The ticket was responded to in three minutes with "I've enabled FUSE for you".

In June I received a free upgrade to 100GB disk space and decided to use the VPS to test an backup/monitoring system I was working on. This system uses an agent on the remote VPS or server to send information back to the monitoring station. The agent also does backups of the remote system that get sent to the monitoring station. Various other drives are FUSEd to the Crissic VPS. Both IPv4 and IPv6 are required. There are 28800 updates a day, most days no updates are lost due to network issues, and very rarely more then a few. I am not including the one time there were know network issues with a switch for a short time.

Support request are the fastest of any provider I have used. RamNode is only better because they enable what I need before I know I need it, so I never seem to have to ticket them.

Overall I like Crissic and I plan on renewing the above VPS with them. I also plan on buying another, see below.

------ The SSD Preview -----
I tested a new Crissic SSD 512MB VPS yesterday and all I can say is I want one, maybe two. Real world use is a bit limited since they have not come out yet, but this is what I have so far.

I have an old in-house customer service program that was written with perl, in the 90's, and uses flat text files to store data. It was actively used for 15 years and has more then 8GB of 10-50k files. It reads tens of thousands of these files to run reports. Needless to say IOPS and inodes are the issues with running it. I tried running it on Fliphost's 2GB/12GB SSD KVM in LA and I could not load the files to disk, not enough inodes. I now run it on pure SSD at Vultr for $10 bucks a month, so when Skylar announced pure SSD with more cores at low prices I was in for the test. I loaded up the system and tested. It ran great, no issues at all. Just as fast as Vultr at 1/3 the price, and Crissic is using ploop which I like.

Benchmarks for the SSD test VPS

EDIT: SSD Benchmarks removed, serverbear added http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/07/25/KaLqBHlAqvs2vOs6

Thanked by 1earl

Comments

• cassacassa Member

I like the tags xD

Thanked by 2FrankZ linuxthefish
  • Why are you running all these tests in ploop? That always inflates the dd results by almost 2x!

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Spencer said:
    Why are you running all these tests in ploop? That always inflates the dd results by almost 2x!

You though the two dd's at the end of my review were too much?
    You must really hate dd, is it better now with the serverbear instead?

• @FrankZ said:

You must really hate dd, I'll try to consider that next time.

Ploop DOES compress the dd results that much is true. However the host node bare metal result isn't far off. Using 6x SSD's in Hardware Raid 10.

Thanks for the review! Hoping to start selling SSD VPS no later than Monday.