Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitoring server uptime
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Monitoring server uptime

khavkhav Member

I usually use uptimerobot to monitor uptime of my sites but how can i monitor the uptime of a raw server (aka there is no webserver installed).

Comments

• Ping works fine, but there is also a package that tracks uptime between reboots - uptimed. It's on Debian and Ubuntu but I'm not sure if it's on CentOS.

• khavkhav Member
    edited July 2014

@CharlesA you know a website that will automatically ping my server for x mins.For my application i need to check if SSH can be accessed.Then on the event of a failure send me an email .

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Most monitoring applications support a TCP connection test, so you could test that 22 is open. If you need to actually test that SSH is responding (not just accepting connection but also not overloaded or whatever) you probably need to write your own script and plug it in; also it would need to be monitoring from your own server (assuming you want to test full SSH connection).

I wrote a script https://github.com/uakfdotb/bearmon that lets you plug in your own monitoring functions pretty easily, mainly I use it for the SMS support.

Thanked by 1khav
  • @khav said:
    CharlesA you know a website that will automatically ping my server for x mins.For my application i need to check if SSH can be accessed.Then on the event of a failure send me an email .

Uptimerobot does that. :)

• khavkhav Member

@perennate

Thanks for the info mate ...Totally missed the fact that uptime robot include port monitoring as well

@Nekki you can close this thread

This discussion has been closed.