Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

simfs crippled? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

simfs crippled?

Comments

• inb4"mysitemysitemysite"

Thanked by 2netomx ElliotJ
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk said: Since you keep asking aldryic about his qualifications, may I know what are yours?

I don't want to list all my qualifications but i'll tell you they're very technical, mostly programming related as i've been into it since I was a kid(though in college I went there for other tech interests). Even with range of things I feel i'm strong in I still always strive to learn from others, and I do so humbly, that's part of why i'm on this forum, having the various providers share in the manner they do is invaluable. I have no interest in running a hosting company myself(been there, done that) but I am interested in all the things related to it. You guys also have good relations with ISP's and good hardware channels, etc... so I try and take notes on some things people on here are kind enough to share, because that's time and a lot of money I don't have to spend to learn them myself.

• DiltDilt Member

@taipres said: I get you're trying to defend your coworker, and I respect that, but

I -am- defending my coworker, but you clearly don't respect it too much if you're going to argue.

@taipres said: f you notice Aldryic is the only one that's always talking down to any and everyone on here?

Aren't you talking down to Aldryic? In fact, a lot of people talk down to others on here. Usually to you.

@taipres said: He even referred to himself as a "big boy" which would be comical if I didn't think he was absolutely serious. Fran, Anthony, Prometheus, Jeremy, Chris, etc... these are guys that actually are "big boys" in their field and even though they don't talk like Aldryic(thankfully), they still have a right to, where as Aldryic doesn't.

BuyVM wouldn't be where it is without Aldryic. He jumped into staff back when we were just Frantech and single handedly removed every last billing issue we had (which, at the time, we had a LOT of). Because of this, we were able to focus more on tech and expanding our services (which spawned BuyVM). Saying he's not a 'Big Boy' is following your logic on saying he isn't skilled in tech. Fran's a Huge, Huge Boy, and even if Aldryic isn't as big as him, he's still pretty big.

@taipres said: Anyway this all got started because Aldryic was trying to throw other companies under the bus

Saying mean things on a public forum? Haha, it's as if we're not directly competing against anyone else here...

@taipres said: when he has no idea what they go through to make their networks, deals etc...what they are

He knows exactly what most go through, as he is skilled in both Technology and Billing. His technical knowledge tells him what most companies need to set up their business, and his billing knowledge suggests ways that they could afford to pay for it.

@taipres said: I just don't think that's right, as the "overselling" topic is a strong one and him blab'n off can really hurt those who don't "sell out in 4 minutes".

If a company is that hurt over something said on a forum frequented by mostly providers, then they probably need some serious help in the PR department.

@taipres said: Everyone gets BuyVM is a great company, but just because they don't do something a certain way doesn't mean that's the right way. Especially given circumstances.

We do things the way we do because we believe that they are the right way. So, of course we would state as such.

Now stop jumping on Aldryic. I've been lurking these threads and usually every time a fight has started this last week or two it's because you've provoked him by name.

• TazTaz Member

@taipres you are a programmer but still managed to run hosting. I don't say why aldyric can't? Considering buyvm is not an one mans show. Being raised by my immigrant parents and English is not my first language, I can clearly underarnd what aldryic said. He does not have the same level of experience like Fran does. Which means for me atleast, he knows about it but lacks the experience. He might have 3 years experience while Fran has ten.

• TazTaz Member

@ Aldryic you still owe me that pm regarding billing frauds sir.

• @NinjaHawk said: @ Aldryic you still owe me that pm regarding billing frauds sir.

Indeed you are right, my apologies :( I'll get on that posthaste for you.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk said: I can clearly underarnd what aldryic said. He does not have the same level of experience like Fran does. Which means for me atleast, he knows about it but lacks the experience. He might have 3 years experience while Fran has ten

Then he should act accordingly, not like he's some gift to the hosting world, there are many many people out there that know some here, some there which is fine, but they also don't go on forums acting like they're top shelf, when they're not, while at the same time talking down to those who really are. That's really what i'm getting at, for example i'm horrible at aesthetics, but i'm working on getting better, even still you won't find me on some art design site talking down to those who do it professionally...It's just bad taste and, I think being humble is the way to go, no matter how much you know.

• TazTaz Member

Thank you sir. Highly appreciated.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Dilt said: Now stop jumping on Aldryic. I've been lurking these threads and usually every time a fight has started this last week or two it's because you've provoked him by name.

I think you need to re-read his posts then, because that's not true at all. If fact it's the complete opposite and not just with me.

• @Aldryic said: Hardly. This is how I am with folks that don't try to pick a fight every three posts. Just decided to give you a last chance is all.

Poor lonely child. You needn't beg for attention you know; I would've been more than happy to discourse with you in a more civil manner. Of course, I have no intentions of fullfilling whatever twisted fantasy that fuels your fascination for me, but I assure you that even though you stand no chance with me, there are plenty of other specimens out there for you to fawn over.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited June 2012

I am too late.. But this...

@Corey said: Guys 99% of customers use only a small percentage of their disk space. If an abuser or abusers registered several vps and maxed out 100% of disk space on all of them doing 'abusive' things like torrenting illegal files and such.... then the node can run out of disk space.

Is totally bullshit...

If a customer like me uses 100% of the disk space, then I am an abuser?
    In other words, if I do torrenting or I fill my disk with /dev/zero I am an abuser?
    So, I can't use my disk space... great. Surely I never will get a service in a company with this kind of 'policy'.
    Independently of what I do with my space, is MY space ¬_¬ You sold me that.

@Corey said: Everyone in the LEB market is overselling

Ok. Then is YOUR RESPONSABILITY to monitor your servers for issues like this, as you monitor for high load, high I/O usage, etc. Then you must migrate some customers to a less crowded node.

@Corey said: You oversell with a little bit of smarts and leave a small portion of the disk space free so that if you get the oddball customer that uses the space for a LEGIT reason.

Wow. So, torrenting isn't legit
    Also, you open my files to see if I have something illegal. I wonder where is my privacy =/ You have time for that, but you don't have time monitor the nodes to apply the corresponding actions after you decided to oversell resources...

Nice.

Thanked by 1Boltersdriveer
  • I like how off-topic this has gone. Anyway, if everyone were to write a post about what their definition of overselling and overloading is.... It's pretty clear that in some instances, the first can lead to the latter if done too much or if not managed properly. Which is what BuyVM has managed to maintain performance yet at a reasonable price.

• @Corey said: Guys 99% of customers use only a small percentage of their disk space. If an abuser or abusers registered several vps and maxed out 100% of disk space on all of them doing 'abusive' things like torrenting illegal files and such.... then the node can run out of disk space.

This is totally untrue. You sell 40GB of space, you very well provide me with the 40GB of space. Sure, sometimes there are abusers that hammer disk I/O, but we're talking about storage here.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Corey said: @NinjaHawk you are buying into this? If you don't oversell you are stupid.

It's not nice to call people names based on their attempt to make a service more reliable for their users.

@Corey said: The difference is the person torrenting legit files isn't going to use near the disk space that the person torrenting music did.

Have a look at http://www.jamendo.com/ and then make that statement again.

@taipres said: I think this has turned into another of Aldryics "i'm better than you" threads, so "everyone should use BuyVM instead of compeitiors".

Interesting, I was not able to find anything other than Corey and Aldryic having a discussion about different overselling techniques. Hell, Aldryic even stated explicitly that he didn't necessarily consider their method better.

@subigo said: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

That is something I can definitely agree with :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@Corey said: He goes as far as saying how much more money he can make per node by virtualizing it and making efficient use of the hardware (overselling it)

That is perfectly fine as long as the customer doesnt suffer. In Hostigation's case I think the customer doesnt suffer, but in other cases they do. Many posted low speeds and that provider has been proven to be selling much more bw than they have, yet they got away with the "it was a routing/switch/glitch issue" and "we fixed it" no matter if ppl still complain.
    This happens when providers are given blank checks from the community and they manage to ban/deny service/shut up the ppl talking about these issues.
    However, again, if no customer suffers then it means we have a great provider that can plan things carefully. If the others cant do that and cant oversell, their loss.
    M
    P.S. @yomero seeing how you fight for the right to use what you pay for, it looks kinda strange you defending ppl that oversell BW and then blame the problems on switches, bad users and even ppl on forums that point out to that.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

May I ask a question about selling. If a node have 40GB RAM, and running OVZ. But since OVZ has weird memory accounting that does x1.5-x3 of what was really used, does that mean a provider can sell 60X1GB vps or more and not be in trouble (i.e. can still guarantee because of OVZ memory accounting)? and only do 40x1GB vps or less if XEN?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Guys, I see a lot of twisting around words (as usual sorry for my bad "Engrish" ) but every company try to optmize/maximize resources to make profits.

In the datacenters one of the first "optimization" is the network. Why you have to pay every month more than you need? So what you usually do is to have enough capacity to handle the regular traffic and the statistical spikes. The more statistical series and clients you have, more "precise" is the ratio between the sold and the bought capacity. Call this oversell, oversubscription, overcommit or whatever you like but if you are able to run this game anticipating/speed following the trends you are going to be a "great" provider, else you are a "poor" one. :-)

End of part one.

@prometeus said: but if you are able to run this game anticipating/speed following the trends you are going to be a "great" provider, else you are a "poor" one. :-)

Exactly. But there is also a third category, the ones that no matter what they do still have the customers suffer because the massive oversell, but they are great providers because of the grip they have on particular comunities.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member

additional bandwidth can be bought at DC for very unusual spikes right?

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited June 2012

You rent a room (VPS) in a house (host server). Each room has walking space (guaranteed RAM), a cabinet (HDD) and attached toilet (bandwidth). In addition, you're allowed to occasionally use some of the common area outside your room to do stuff for a short period of time (burstable RAM). Your toilet's pipes have a meter that is set to cut supply if you use up a certain amount (bandwidth limit) and will reset once a month on the 1st.

Now given such an analogy, I'd be pissed as hell if I find that my room doesn't have the space that was agreed upon because I have less space to walk (out of memory) or there are certain tiles on the floor that are spoilt and I take longer to walk across them (swapped).

I'd also be pissed if I find that my cabinet has suddenly collapsed and I can't store the stuff I'm suppose to be able to store (host node out of space). Sometimes the cabinet tends to become hard to open, so I have to wait till the hinges are smooth to open the door and put stuff in/out (IO wait).

I can't complain if there isn't enough common area for me to do stuff, or if I'm taking too long and am asked to go back into my room and stop doing what I'm doing (OOM killer).

As for water, I need water to survive but the promise was for a total amount of water before being cut off (bandwidth limit), not the rate of the water flowing (throughput). Generally, I'd probably never leave my tap on full blast for 24/7. As long as I get my water, it's fair.

Would this be a reasonable layman analogy of the possible pitfalls with overselling/overloading?

@Maounique said: Exactly. But there is also a third category, the ones that no matter what they do still have the customers suffer because the massive oversell, but they are great providers because of the grip they have on particular comunities.

This can happen in every business / community. marketing, perception, emotion (and luck) are often part of the equation. We often buy goods and services for reasons like this. Look here in Italy where we're gone with the same things driving the politic scene...

I admire your determination to affirm your principles, and I think you're right in doing so.
    But you've to make one step back at time to:
    1) not fall in semantic traps (they bring detriment to your causes)
    2) see if other are following (and take your place)

You need to stimulate the consciences not make a personal crusade.

@jcaleb said: additional bandwidth can be bought at DC for very unusual spikes right?

limit are phisical links :-)

If you have 1G link and you usually use 200M then you can handle 800M extra spikes but anything over that will require physical work.

@prometeus said: This can happen in every business

As they say it can happen once and only once. As long as they dont admit it and take extra steps (slander, personal attacks, foul language, bans) there is little to no hope and my duty is to inform ppl on their shortcomings if they are not admitting them and verify from time to time if the situation has changed.
    Others do follow, there are quite a few respected ppl that verified the bw problems, including mods at a time. They still banned me, but that is not because I wasnt right.
    M

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

I'm ready for a provider to roll in with a 10G link, like a boss.

@taipres said: I'm ready for a provider to roll in with a 10G link, like a boss.

What do you mean?

@taipres said: I'm ready for a provider to roll in with a 10G link, like a boss.

I believe OVH or Edis can offer things like those, and perhaps others in the US. But I doubt it is for the random Joe on the internet.
    M

• @Maounique said: my duty is to inform ppl on their shortcomings if they are not admitting them and verify from time to time if the situation has changed.

Oh please. At least be honest if you hope for anyone to take you seriously. If such were your "duty", then you would be trying to attack other providers than just us. What you do is nothing more than a child's tantrum of trying to smear a company's reputation based entirely around a single staff member's personal opinion of a public service that you feel the need to start fights over.

@Maounique said: Others do follow, there are quite a few respected ppl that verified the bw problems, including mods at a time. They still banned me, but that is not because I wasnt right.

I can say your ban was supported by a lot of people with stones and pitchforks willing to see the show at the gallows having enough of ping-pong threads.
    When the dead body was after the eyes of everybody the action was considered "too much extreme" I think and this is the reason why we don't see the dead body of @taipres.

Thanked by 1netomx

@Aldryic said: If such were your "duty", then you would be trying to attack other providers than just us.

Not really. Others have their share from you and other ppl here. Few dare to show your problems and if they do are swiftly dealt with (attacked, acused, threatened, you name it). Even if many have problems and they show them here, they still believe it is some (temporary) glitch affecting only them, it is impossible that such a respected company would ever have those problems.
    Fighting a myth is hard, but eventually it will crumble, your attitude helps a lot, thanks.
    M

edited June 2012

@Aldryic said: Oh please.

Please don't get it as a word x word battle... A few month I bought an old game for my doughters (I played age ago): monkey island and you are like the in the scene with the sword master