Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

simfs crippled? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

simfs crippled?

Comments

• @miTgiB said: Nope, I didn't call it an oversold resource, I believe my words were "Effective resource management"

Playing with wording, sir. But touché :P

@Corey said: @Aldyric came saying you didn't oversell anything when it's obvious you do.

We've given ample explanation now. I really don't know how much clearer we can make it for you.

• @wrhoton said: All I heard was "Overselling is a bad practice, so we choose to NOT CALL it overselling"

I suggest reading for context then, friend. :3

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@wrhoton said: All I heard was "Overselling is a bad practice, so we choose to NOT CALL it overselling"

Sure, it's always a frowned on word :) There's a lot of bickering on if 'oversold' or 'oversubscribed' is the better word to use.

We're fully aware that HE/etc are selling more than they have since most of their pops only have a single 10Gbit run. We can't say that what you're getting from us is not oversold from us to your place but the resources we can control we for sure keep in check.

Francisco

• @Aldryic said: I could state that you use apples as suppositories, but doubtless you would deny it, no?

That made my day, lmfao.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Francisco said: Sure, it's always a frowned on word :) There's a lot of bickering on if 'oversold' or 'oversubscribed' is the better word to use.

We're fully aware that HE/etc are selling more than they have since most of their pops only have a single 10Gbit run. We can't say that what you're getting from us is not oversold from us to your place but the resources we can control we for sure keep in check.

Francisco

@Francisco As do the rest of us that oversell :) but for some reason Aldyric keeps saying you don't! :)

• @Corey said: but for some reason Aldyric keeps saying you don't! :)

Show me where we oversell a guaranteed resource?

• @Francisco We can't say that what you're getting from us is not oversold from us to your place but the resources we can control we for sure keep in check.

Thats all I think anyone was really debating.

Its technically oversold, but you keep it in check. Thats a good response. But I agree with you... I have from my very first post.. Its not REALLY oversold as long as you make sure the resources are available.

But yes, it is techncially oversold by the common subscriber's understanding or point of view.

edited June 2012

@Corey said: @Francisco As do the rest of us that oversell :) but for some reason Aldyric keeps saying you don't! :)

Space isn't, RAM isn't, IO we're doing our best to improve it even more than it already was, all key things :) Network was capping out around ~1.1Gbit with our pps levels on our dells but the force10's have us humming very smoothly.

I guess CPU is the only thing that is shared but you rarely ever see anyone claim the CPU is maxed at any LEB, it's always IO that nukes things before CPU (cpu weights and such help spread things out).

Aldryic isn't very far off and we'd simply buy more/improve things when it turns out it's needed.

One thing he didn't mention is that as clients progress with us at least (i'm guessing the same for many providers?), their demands/requirements keep going up. When BuyVM originally opened we had most of our nodes in 4 disk arrays and L5420's. As each sales round came & went, though, those things were simply capping out and we've had to jump to dual quad L5520's, twice as much RAM, twice the array (4x the cache) and now an SSD in there to keep with the same demand.

It's an annoying thing as well because then we get silly tickets like "Sir, my IO has dropped below 280MB/sec" and Anthony/Aldryic break out the shot glasses.

EDIT - correcting the CPU maxing point

Francisco

• @Aldryic said: @taipres - instead of trying to troll, how about you get some experience in the fields you like to bicker about before trying to put on big boy pants and wading in. All I need to say

Says the guy who work for a tech company, yet by his own admission isn't even technical? What is it you do again? Oh yeah answer sales tickets...I guess that makes you a "big boy" and "experienced" in "the field"...what a joke. My advice for you, is take your own advice, and be grateful Fransico and Anthony ARE technical, otherwise there'd be no BuyVM. Also let them do the technical talking, and you stick to the sales.

Lastly when you have no idea what someones background is, it's wise not to throw out non-sense.

@taipres said: My advice for you, is take your own advice, and be grateful Fransico and Anthony ARE technical, otherwise there'd be no BuyVM

If there wasn't BuyVM/Frantech then Aldryic wouldn't be all that interested in hosting. He has his own interests and I'm sure hosting wouldn't be anywhere on that list if it wasn't for me near begging for help during Portland. Anthony was the same, he mostly just played a lot of games, etc.

Fran

• @taipres said: Says the guy who work for a tech company, yet by his own admission isn't even technical?

[CITATION NEEDED]. I clearly stated Fran was better than I, not that I was non-technical. Perhaps you should stop with the lies.

@taipres said: What is it you do again?

I handle all matters relating to Billing and Policy. I also maintain and upkeep our billing box, the WHMCS install, and the WHMCS->Stallion module. As well as writing all of our custom WHMCS hooks, modules, and various Perl/PHP/bash scripts to help automate Anthony's work.

So, anything else? If poor lies are all you can bring to the table, then I'll simply go back to reporting every post you make in the hopes that it earns you another vacation. That is, if you don't emo out again before thenn.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Aldryic said: [CITATION NEEDED]. I clearly stated Fran was better than I, not that I was non-technical. Perhaps you should stop with the lies.

both you and Fran have said you weren't technical, and Fran did all the real back end work, I don't need to go searching for the quote because you know full well that's what was said. Even still it's clear you're not the glue that holds BuyVM together, Fran and Anthony are, i'd imagine they do the PR work as well, unless talking about urinating in peoples mouths and posting tranny pics is their definition of PR...what i'm trying to say to you is, be grateful for the position you're in, because i can tell you it's not hard to replace a guy that answers sales tickets, but it's VERY hard to replace a guy who's technical and really knows what they're doing. Because that requires more than big talk on internet forums...it requires years of getting ones hands dirty, tweaking, trial and error, studying, and changing with the times.

• @taipres said: What is it you do again?

@Aldryic said: I handle all matters relating to Billing and Policy. I also maintain and upkeep our billing box, the WHMCS install, and the WHMCS->Stallion module. As well as writing all of our custom WHMCS hooks, modules, and various Perl/PHP/bash scripts to help automate Anthony's work.

Any other lies you'd like to persist in?

Thanked by 1TheHackBox

@taipres said: both you and Fran have said you weren't technical, and Fran did all the real back end work, I don't need to go searching for the quote because you know full well that's what was said. Even still it's clear you're not the glue that holds BuyVM together, Fran and Anthony are, i'd imagine they do the PR work as well, unless talking about urinating in peoples mouths and posting tranny pics is their definition of PR.

Understand Anthony has tried to overthrow me many times. There was many times I made him take the day off because I refused to work with him that day. It has taken about a year for Anthony & I to be good friends and able to deal with eachothers bullshit. I'm a pain in the ass to work with, as is he, so it leads to some brawls that even made Pony & Ponette blush :P

I've never said Pony wasn't technical, he's written all of the modules for us on WHMCS as well as many of the conversion/etc scripts for us. Granted he hasn't done many of the server scripts/etc we have, but he still knows his way around vzctl and is quite solid in PHP.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Understand Anthony has tried to overthrow me many times. There was many times I made him take the day off because I refused to work with him that day. It has taken about a year for Anthony & I to be good friends and able to deal with eachothers bullshit. I'm a pain in the ass to work with, as is he, so it leads to some brawls that even made Pony & Ponette blush :P

He sounds like a good engineer, that or you're a really good boss. Shame Anthony doesn't post more on here.

• TazTaz Member

Popcorn anyone? It is the classic unlimited vs limited debate with a new twist.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @taipres said: Shame Anthony doesn't post more on here.

AHAHA. Amazing how quickly you go from "too much BuyVM" to "a BuyVM staff member should post more", just out of your petty spite at being unable to touch me :3

Thanked by 2laaev Boltersdriveer
  • DiltDilt Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: both you and Fran have said you weren't technical
    @taipres said: but it's VERY hard to replace a guy who's technical and really knows what they're doing

It's really hard to replace anyone who really knows what they're doing in general, not just in the tech field. Even so, Aldryic is skilled in the tech field. AND in the administration field. Rare these days. He handles our billing because that's his unique skill among our staff. (Back when Fran handled it, there were so many terrible special deals going on, just to make sales...) But like Francisco (and Aldryic himself) said, he knows his way around the tech as well. If Aldryic decided to leave staff, we would be hard-pressed to find a replacement as skilled as he is.

@NinjaHawk said: Popcorn anyone? It is the classic unlimited vs limited debate with a new twist.

The twist is that like every other thread on LET it inevitably turns into some sort of off-topic argument between taipres and Aldryic. This time it's about Aldryic's qualifications!

@taipres said: Shame Anthony doesn't post more on here.

Hahaha oh wow they really want to experience true suffering, if one Aldryic is terrible imagine two

• subigosubigo Member

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

• TazTaz Member

@taipres I hope you are not regular on wht. Or else you would get the highest number of infractions.

Thanked by 1laaev
  • TazTaz Member

Hahah haha. @subigo. Something that actually going to make sense now.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Dilt said: if one Aldryic is terrible imagine two

They are both fun to troll for different reasons, @Aldryic sees when you are trolling him and plays along some but bz doesn't see it and gets really mad, I can't remember how many times I've driven him out of the room. Now he knows me and we get along great since I can't get one over on him easily anymore.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Aldryic said: AHAHA. Amazing how quickly you go from "too much BuyVM" to "a BuyVM staff member should post more", just out of your petty spite at being unable to touch me :3

I do think there's a little bit too much BuyVM on here, when the threads not about BuyVM specifically you go out of your way to make it about it. This thread being no different than the thousand others...

Also this is what you said exactly in terms of your tech "experience"
    "I lack his experience with virtualization, kernel handling, and a list of items on the technical side."

because that makes perfect sense...you work for a company that sales VPS(Virtual private servers)s yet have no experience with virtualization... so who's lieing again?

but anyway I guess I can see you still being able to do the position as long as they gave you a list to read off, for sales questions, no different than a telemarketer, or give you a channel to ask Fran/Anthony questions.

• DiltDilt Member

@taipres said: Also this is what you said exactly in terms of your tech "experience"

"I lack his experience with virtualization, kernel handling, and a list of items on the technical side."

because that makes perfect sense...you work for a company that sales VPS(Virtual private servers) yet have no experience with virtualization... so who's lieing again?

Aldryic lacks Anthony's tremendous experience with virtualization/etc, but that does not mean that he has no experience in it. The only thing anyone is devoid of here is reading comprehension.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk said: @taipres I hope you are not regular on wht. Or else you would get the highest number of infractions.

I'm not, WHT is ran horribly, they have no problem issuing infractions and suspensions on companies in a split second yet can take up to years(literally) to answer any tickets. Why people continue to flock there, IDK, but it's sad. I guess it's no different than a billion people flocking to facebook, uploading their pics,content etc...so facebook can make sure you're never ever ever able to delete it, and so they can sell to the highest bidder...privacy for games? sign me up! nah, heh, at least FB offers some value, While WHT could be replaced overnight as it's just a simple forum, but since its been around forever that's unlikely.

• @taipres said: Also this is what you said exactly

because that makes perfect sense...you work for a company that sales VPS(Virtual private servers) yet have no experience with virtualization... so who's lieing again?

Ten is less than twenty. That does not make ten equal to zero. So, are you simply unable to grasp any sort of logical concept without it being spoon-fed to you by corporate media, or are you really so bad at this that you have to resort to alteration even a child wouldn't fall for to try and pull one over on me? :P

I can't decide which amuses me more: the fact that you'll resort to any measure to try and insult me, or that you're simply so damn bad at it. Look, let me give you an example of how this is done, just to help you out:

"The sheer level of ignorance you portray is a magnificent testament to the failure of the evolutionary process with your bloodline. Clearly you would've served this world better as a smear on the end of a coathanger."

THAT is an insult. Honestly, unless you're going to put some effort into your trolling, don't bother. You're just embarrassing yourself.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Dilt said: Aldryic lacks Anthony's tremendous experience with virtualization/etc, but that does not mean that he has no experience in it. The only thing anyone is devoid of here is reading comprehension.

I get you're trying to defend your coworker, and I respect that, but if you notice Aldryic is the only one that's always talking down to any and everyone on here? He even referred to himself as a "big boy" which would be comical if I didn't think he was absolutely serious. Fran, Anthony, Prometheus, Jeremy, Chris, etc... these are guys that actually are "big boys" in their field and even though they don't talk like Aldryic(thankfully), they still have a right to, where as Aldryic doesn't.

Anyway this all got started because Aldryic was trying to throw other companies under the bus, when he has no idea what they go through to make their networks, deals etc...what they are. I just don't think that's right, as the "overselling" topic is a strong one and him blab'n off can really hurt those who don't "sell out in 4 minutes". Everyone gets BuyVM is a great company, but just because they don't do something a certain way doesn't mean that's the right way. Especially given circumstances.

• Nope, still failing. Try harder!

• TazTaz Member

I miss bear.

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres you are right nd wrong.
    Since you keep asking aldryic about his qualifications, may I know what are yours?