Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Canada Test - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Canada Test

Comments

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

OVH marketing doesn't seem to understand the difference between the two. At least, they've stated previously that they consider Quebec a prime area from which to serve the rest of North America.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@MrDOS said: OVH marketing doesn't seem to understand the difference between the two. At least, they've stated previously that they consider Quebec a prime area from which to serve the rest of North America.

Why didn't they just build a DC in the US then?

• rds100rds100 Member

@MrLadoodle my guess is:
    1. Price of electricity / cooling.
    2. Taxes
    3. Local laws (ACTA, SOPA, DMCA, whatever).
    4. French speaking staff.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

btw, how long we can keep this VKS & BHS for free?

• @NanoG6 said: btw, how long we can keep this VKS & BHS for free?

VKS for 1 month, BHS until August.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@MrLadoodle said: VKS for 1 month

VKSes will be prolongable after 1 month (not known for how long, and if there will be a paid service like this when the beta ends).

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@rm_ said: VKSes will be prolongable after 1 month (not known for how long, and if there will be a paid service like this when the beta ends).

I guess so.. from this page http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/vks/geovks.xml

This offer is limited to 1 micro vKS per customer (1 POP per customer). The server must be renewed manually every month in your manager.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Just got my VKS in Hongkong yesterday. Seems like the CPU is not that good. Below is my Pingdom HTTP check. Server is using nginx & php-fpm, replica of my previous server.

processor   : 0
    vendor_id   : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family  : 16
    model       : 2
    model name  : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6172
    stepping    : 3
    cpu MHz     : 2100.025
    cache size  : 512 KB

@NanoG6 I don't get it, is the ping less than 2ms for you? Or is that stupid website uses . as a separator for thousands.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited June 2012

@rm_ I believe Pingdom uses . as a separator for thousands. Or maybe that's on my Pingdom profile config.

• qjqqjq Member

vks cpu is throttled to 2GHz that's why it's "not very good", but i find the internet quite stable and it's very fast from Singapore

edited June 2012

It is not throttled, it's a 12 core CPU that runs at 2.1 GHz.
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=270365&mpage=1
    I think it's more than reasonable, especially as higher core count is exactly what makes sense in a multiuser system.

• Hard to get one :)

• Just for shits and giggles, I'm going to spin up a TF2 server instance. Apparently, thanks to MvM requiring 32-player server instances, there's an extreme shortage of servers to power it.

• @MrDOS said: Just for shits and giggles, I'm going to spin up a TF2 server instance. Apparently, thanks to MvM requiring 32-player server instances, there's an extreme shortage of servers to power it.

>

@MrDos Do you feel like writing a guide on how to do that :P?

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited August 2012

@Taylor said: Do you feel like writing a guide on how to do that :P?

If I ever get the damn thing downloaded, sure. Valve's servers are so overloaded right now that it's going to take more than an hour just to retrieve the server content.

• @MrDOS said: If I ever get the damn thing downloaded, sure. Valve's servers are so overloaded right now that it's going to take more than an hour just to retrieve the server content.

>

Windows and linux tuts please (:

• @Taylor said: Windows and linux tuts please (:

Not so fast ;) I can give you an overview of doing it under Linux, given that that's how I'm doing it, but you're on your own for Windows.

• @MrDOS said: Not so fast ;) I can give you an overview of doing it under Linux, given that that's how I'm doing it, but you're on your own for Windows.

>

Linux is better (:, I just had a feeling you would be doing it under windozes.

• @MrDos surely you will deliver :P

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited August 2012

So, it's pretty much the easiest thing ever:

• Follow the somewhat official guide to get the server set up.
    • Create a server.cfg in tf/orangebox/tf/cfg, and specify a hostname and, more importantly, tf_mm_servermode 2.
    • Start up screen and launch the server:

$ ./srcds_run -game tf -autoupdate -maxplayers 32 +map mvm_decoy

By setting tf_mm_servermode to 2 and launching with an mvm_ map, you'll function exclusively as an MvM server and despite having specified the map, it'll autoload whichever one the players want.

Edit: So I've got two TF2 instances going at the moment, and both have been constantly full since within a minute of starting them. Debating starting a third; my CPU stats seem good, but without actually playing on the server, it's difficult to tell how it's performing.

Edit #2: After careful evaluation (“top isn't complaining? And neither is ntop? Sweet!”) I've spun up another two instances. This is really cool, y'all. Overall CPU is still holding under 30% (although I did just see it spike to 68%), and network isn't even at 5mbps.

Thanked by 1Taylor
  • TaylorTaylor Member
    edited August 2012

Thanks @MrDos, I'm nearly done downloading files. 80 percent.. Should try on the OVH dedi but going to try on a vps :p

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited August 2012

@Taylor Heh, good luck. It doesn't seem to burn that much CPU – median/peak 30%/60% per instance on an i3 – but you're looking at around 360MB memory for each one.

• @MrDos I'm sure I world get suspended before I max out ram, could you share your server.cfg please? :p

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited August 2012
    hostname I Named This
    tf_mm_servermode 2

That is literally all that is in my server.cfg. You can't specify the map there, as it loads after the map, and you can't set the player count there (only the visible player count), so it doesn't do much.

• Thanks @MrDos working great now, used this to get it on the steam server list.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2825-AFGJ-3513

• Tried running this new tf2 game mode on my ChicagoVPS 2GB vps and it seems to lag quite a bit. Put in a ticket about disk IO being at 33, tech said they fixed it but it's only at 40 now. CPU usage is at 30%, so I doubt that it the cause of the lag.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited August 2012

@Taylor Yeah, I thought about doing that but I was at work when I set it up and then when I got home, my client still hadn't updated so I just didn't bother. As long as all four instances are full, I really don't care – it's getting fully used, so IMHO, there's little point in further publicizing it.

Edit: Alright, so traffic sort of died down overnight, but upon registering them, all four are full again. I guess maybe there's something to this after all.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited August 2012

Whelp, I just got an e-mail informing me that the server's up for renewal on the 4th, and upon logging into the manager, I found it definitely means a paid renewal. Not being in the possession of an excess $80/mo, I guess I'll let it lapse, unless anyone cares to point out a cancellation button to hit.

I must admit, I'm a bit surprised at the short notice. I thought they'd have given a week at least. Oh well, I can't really complain – not like I paid anything for it!

• lumaluma Member

@MrDOS said: unless anyone cares to point out a cancellation button to hit.

With OVH you just let it expire. I don't think they even have a cancel button.

That is the one nice thing about OVH. They don't mind at all if you grab a server for just one month or for 10 years.