Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox VPS providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox VPS providers?

syamansyaman Member
edited June 2012 in General

This caught my eye - Hostbillapp now supports Proxmox VE
http://hostbillapp.com/features/apps/proxmox.html

Can we expect to see VPS providers using Proxmox as opposed to say SolusVM or HyperVM (which has no support for KVM)?

I seem to recall reading that Ramhost uses Proxmox for their KVM backend though - possibly the only provider to do so to date?

Comments

• I use proxmox. i prefer it to the likes of solus, virtualizer, hypervm etc. especially the latest version. Only bad part is, they dont have tun/tap or pptp support via the panel. and it runs debian

• SolusVM supports KVM

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@DanielM said: Only bad part is, they dont have tun/tap or pptp support via the panel. and it runs debian

How do you cope with the lack of IP pool assignment? Do you handle IP manually?

• tuxtux Member

@DanielM said: Only bad part is... and it runs debian

This is good part.

• subigosubigo Member

@tux said: This is good part.

Depends on who you ask. Lack of CentOS support is why I never bothered with Proxmox.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @prometeus

Yes its done manually.

@tux

Bad part being it doesnt support PPTP or tun/tap out of the box, i added ... to seperate what i was saying. and yes debian seems alot better than centos. uses much less ram

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Proxmox is also not IPv6 compatible yet (at least it wasn't a few weeks ago). I dropped Proxmox about 2 weeks ago and haven't looked back. :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe said: I dropped Proxmox about 2 weeks ago and haven't looked back

SolusVM now?

edited June 2012

@prometeus said: SolusVM now?

Nah. We were using SolusVM for our internal servers (webserver, SolusVM Master, monitoring, etc...) and it was replaced with just a base install of CentOS and OpenVZ (pptpd and IPv6 work flawlessly and disk IO is amazing, not to mention we have a lot more storage now that Proxmox doesn't take half of it for KVMs that we don't use). :)

• syamansyaman Member

For that matter, I wonder why Virtualizer, vePortal and VirtPanel use is so uncommon for LEBs despite having similar pricing structures as SolusVM? Burstnet must be the only one using vePortal I think? The other 2 - still haven't come across yet.

@DanielM said: I use proxmox. i prefer it to the likes of solus, virtualizer, hypervm etc. especially the latest version. Only bad part is, they dont have tun/tap or pptp support via the panel. and it runs debian

• syamansyaman Member

I take back what I say about VirtPanel - there doesn't even seem to be much information about the product on their own website :p Dead product? http://www.virtpanel.com/

• @syaman, it is the ugliness of them.

• TazTaz Member

Veportal just doesn't do the work plus IMHO their admin panel is a mess from my old experience. And buggy as fudge

• Virtpanel wasnt the best design. but the features (When they worked) where awesome.

• beardbeard Member

Proxmox works when providers want to drop that Xen node that is under subscribed and want to run KVM virtualization on the same node as OpenVZ

• Had bad experiences with proxmox where mixing VMs types often meant you had to reboot entire node if 1 VM misbehaves, however keeping the types apart seems to stop this from happening.
    Nothing worse than having to reboot a node for 1 machine.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I used proxmox for my home lab test a few months back, the idea is nice, but i found the implementation somewhat lacking. It has potential tho, will check again in the autumn.
    M

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

@DanielM said: I use proxmox. i prefer it to the likes of solus, virtualizer, hypervm etc.

why? since ur using on production, can u just elaborate pls.? as i want to clear some thoughts - http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/3695/proxmox-control-panel-why-not-or-why-yes

• @Pats said: why? can u just elaborate pls.? as i want to clear some thoughts -

Its just good. Its basic. it works. and ofcourse its free.

• @kujoe
    ipv6 works too.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I take back what I say about VirtPanel - there doesn't even seem to be much information about the product on their own website :p Dead product? http://www.virtpanel.com/

Not so dead to prevent them from advertising it on WHT, but enough so that I've had two tickets open (for two different reasons) for 7 days, and I'm a paying customer.

@syscentral Glad they finally added that.