Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Idea: Dedicated Server / VPS Auction Site
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Idea: Dedicated Server / VPS Auction Site

FieldMooseFieldMoose Member
edited June 2012 in Help

After a long time attempting to 'negotiate' so called auctions on WHT etc. I thought it might be a good idea to create a dedicated (!) site/app that provides a more streamlined experience for both parties.

Any thoughts on features, monetization strategies or just comments on the viability of the idea are appreciated.

Comments

• VictorVictor Member

Ebay?

• @Victor service, not hardware :P

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2012

Well first I don't really bid for stuff much but here's what I'm thinking.

Features:

• Allowing Text-Email for when you win/lose/get outbided
    • A possible way to verify that the end user really has the funds and the intent to pay for it (I don't know how you'd be able to do this)
    • Obviously clients rating each seller
    • Allow for sellers to have additional catches (I guess this could go into their description part but they can say "Free Two Months of Hosting if you pay for yearly" or something)
    • If they have multiple stocks then something like top two bids will win or something.
    • Give everyone free cake and pie. have it mailed/delivered 1 day shipping.

Monetization Strategy:

• The host offer-er has to pay a percentage of their sales to you (when its by monthly I'd say have them pay a percentage from the yearly tier or something to that sort) (e.g. 20 dollars for a yearly plan, just have them pay like 10% of it to you or something (not per year but one-time payment)) I hope you understand what I mean.

Like I said, I'm no expert but there are some basic things I'd say you should have.

• @HalfEatenPie that's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for taking the time.

& lol @ free pie

• VictorVictor Member

It's good and all, but I don't really see it being used that often. As a provider, I probably would only use it once or twice every 2-3 months? Depending on the amount of sales generated from it. But I can see it being used by providers such as @Francisco to auction off some client-cancelled BuyVMs. :P

• I'm not expecting it to float for $38 a share but as long as it could cover cost I'd be happy; I would have said there are enough providers to perhaps make it worthwhile.

I mean have you seen the auction threads on WHT? Hideous; messy, people don't read terms etc. Shudder! Maybe it's just me LOL

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You could auction on ebay, actually. i have seen shared hosting auctioned there, though i think it's more advertising than actual competitive bidding.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

i would want a feature more like "want to buy" than auction. E.g. Want to buy Windows LEB, 512mb ram, los angeles.

• I could see this working, but there isnt the userbase for this to be used actively, as we'd like. However if you were able to move the "job lot" sellers from ebay to this site, then... maybe it could work.

(that's for dedi sales anyway).

• Anyone else care to chime in?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

lowendauction.com ?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@netomx said: lowendauction.com

this sucks even for a compulsive domain taker like me :-)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@prometeus said: this sucks even for a compulsive domain taker like me :-)

i know :(

• Like serverbidding but for any provider.

To replace crap like http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1157198 , forums just aren't meant to be used that way.

• @FieldMoose said: To replace crap like http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1157198 , forums just aren't meant to be used that way.

Yeah, good point.

• I think it would be a good idea, the problem would be in attracting both providers and buyers. Heck, I'd be willing to help code it/whatever.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I like it. It's hard to judge whether it would attract providers. If it was there, they might.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Or for monetizing, I suggest a one off listing fee instead :P

• @rsk said: Or for monetizing, I suggest a one off listing fee instead :P

Better yet, something like eBay's fee schedule. Additional features (bigger search result, more info displayed on search result, reserve price, etc for fees). All only charged if it sells.

• @rsk that's what I'm thinking, perhaps differing levels dependent upon value (i.e. vps, $x, dedi $y)

@DimeCadmium I'm thinking this may be a big headache without the infrastructure to back it up.

@FieldMoose well, for example ...

those who pay $1 - get only listed
    those who pay $2 - get listed but prioritized at the top
    those who pay $5 - probably stay at the top for X days

etc. make it innovative :P

@jcaleb said: i would want a feature more like "want to buy" than auction

+1 to this, where people select what they require, and it creates a sort of thread, where providers can list their plans, and maybe something like an itrader (which is not abused) to help find the better providers :)

• ebay does both, so just copy them but for servers

• Thanks for the suggestions folks ツ

• subigosubigo Member

Does nobody remember the auction site for servers from like 6-7 years ago? I really wish I could remember the name... it lasted like six months and then migrated everything to eBay, lol.

• @subigo hardware or lease?

• subigosubigo Member

@FieldMoose said: @subigo hardware or lease?

There were two sections. One for buying hardware and one for renting servers from companies.

• @subigo Thanks. Ringeth no bells though.