Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My switch exploded
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My switch exploded

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited June 2012 in General

So my switch exploded, no downtime, as I had a fallover.

Anyways, need to buy a new one, thinking about Cisco Catalyst 3750.

Needs to be L3.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

lol. you got a lot of problems with your hardware!

• @bijan588 said: Anyways, need to buy a new one, thinking about Cisco Catalyst 3750.

Needs to be L3.

Do you need IPv6? What firmware is needed? Ports etc?

• bijan588bijan588 Member
    edited June 2012

@netomx said: lol. you got a lot of problems with your hardware!

lol wut? No downtime, and I dont think I have had many other problems..?

@ShardHost said: Do you need IPv6? What firmware is needed? Ports etc?

No, Cisco IOS, 48.

More or less, I just wanted opinions of the Cisco Catalyst 3750.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@bijan588 said: lol wut? No downtime, and I dont think I have had many other problems..?

weren't you the guy from the thread "THAT node" or something like that?

• @netomx said: weren't you the guy from the thread "THAT node" or something like that?

Yeah... the node was not in production though. I dont put broken things into my gaming network.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Do you need EMI or will SMI be fine?

The 3750 is a solid switch.

• SMI should be fine, its for uplink to gaming servers so I dont need the extra features.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Somehow I don't believe it exploded, or am I being trolled. >_>

I have exploded a switch before intentionally but I've never had one explode under normail conditions.

Be a man, explode a switch with the biggest capacitor you can find, I did with a cap the size of a large computer tower, just be careful to leave it shorted out when you've finished so you don't blow a limb off.

• @Infinity said: Somehow I don't believe it exploded, or am I being trolled. >_>

Not exploded literally lol

It just turned off and wont come back on

• @bijan588 said: SMI should be fine, its for uplink to gaming servers so I dont need the extra features.

That would be fine. We've never had an issue with our Cisco switches

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

@bjan588 Oh, I wanted a bedtime story.. :(

Screw this! :P

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • tmn29atmn29a Member

@bijan588 said: @Infinity said: Somehow I don't believe it exploded, or am I being trolled. >_>

Not exploded literally lol

It just turned off and wont come back on

Was just about to write "Picture or it didn't happen" !
    I came here to see some scorched hardware - you should change the title or else there will be a lot of pissed off ppl ! ^^

• HP, 3COM, HUAWEI yeah i believe it if you say those exploded.

Not cisco. Never.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • kalamkalam Member
    edited June 2012

@tmn29a said: I came here to see some scorched hardware - you should change the title or else there will be a lot of pissed off ppl ! ^^

I feel very disappointed.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2012

@Kalam Here you go

!(http://i.imgur.com/gEG8D.jpg)

Did i do it right?

• take a look at some huawei switches, quite reliable

• DerekDerek Member

@netomx said: lol. you got a lot of problems with your hardware!

He gets them from Ebay. :P //Sarcasm

Thanked by 1netomx
  • gsxgsx Member

Several years ago, I had a DSL modem and a D-Link router at home. One day, someone in the family happened to place the DSL modem on top of the D-Link router. Unfortunately, the DSL modem was a little old and known to get a little hot. On this particular day, the heat caused the D-Link router to actually catch fire.

• @gsx: And...?

• @gsx I remember them "FON" boxes being "overheating" and the plastic actually warping, there's a shit load of vid's on YT about it.

@bijan588 How old was the switch?

• RobertRobert Member

one of our best clients back in a previous job had quite a few Cisco switches in their office. One day they were struck by lightning. It must have induced quite a bit of current in the building's CAT5 as a few pc's went bang. Quite a few of the Cisco ports blew as well but not one of the switches actually failed - they kept passing traffic on the unaffected ports the whole time.

• @Robert said: Quite a few of the Cisco ports blew as well but not one of the switches actually failed - they kept passing traffic on the unaffected ports the whole time.

Cisco Switches, storm proof.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited June 2012

What da fuck BOOOOOOOM!

Oh Noes, it exploooodeeed

• gsxgsx Member

@Boltersdriveer Sorry to be slow. Essentially the "fire" was a spark or two that burned a nice hole in the plastic and rendered the D-Link router useless. Took a trip to Best Buy and bought a new one.