Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM - NIC teaming/bonding
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM - NIC teaming/bonding

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
edited June 2012 in General

I've noticed that all my Edis KVMs have two NICs - is it possible to setup NIC teaming/bonding (mode 0 or 6)?
Reference http://therosiek.com/2011/03/nic-teaming-on-debian-squeeze/

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I have NIC bonding on my KVM node (CentOS), it's pretty simple.

• edited June 2012

Most probably not. Generally speaking, bonding, while easy to do, needs corporation with the switch, unless you are doing simple failover (Cold standby).

Edit: I forgot that Linux has a couple of modes that can do some sort of "bonding" without switch corporation.

Also, I doubt that your Edis NICs are on the same VLAN. What would be the point of this? Furthermore, even if they were on the same VLAN, you need to ask Edis if they are connected to two different switches, otherwise there is no point.

Thanked by 1klikli

@Jonny_Evorack said: What would be the point of this?

Redundancy. ;)

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@Jonny_Evorack - I'm assuming that KVM has virtual NICs pointing to physical one on server. Anyway I've reconfigured one of my VMs and everything works OK.

To setup bonding, just move the contents of ifcfg-bond0 into ifcfg-br0 and set ifcfg-bond0 to:

DEVICE=bond0 ONBOOT=yes BRIDGE=br0

(Interfaces might be named differently on your system.)

@KuJoe - I'm used the example from my first post in this topic using "balance-tlb". It works without any problem both on IPv4 and IPv6. OS - Debian 6.0.5 64bit

• @KuJoe said: @Jonny_Evorack said: What would be the point of this?

Redundancy. ;)

Yes, I know that two NICs are used for redundancy, but my question is why would Edis supply 2 NICS to each VPS (assuming that they are on the same VLAN) ?

@Jonny_Evorack - I have no idea but on all my KVMs (I have 5 of them) there are two NICs

• @gbshouse said: I've noticed that all my Edis KVMs have two NICs - is it possible to setup NIC teaming/bonding (mode 0 or 6)?

Sure, but what do you expect from it?
    You do not get redundant access nor more speed since it is routed on a single NIC on the hostnode.

@Jonny_Evorack said: Yes, I know that two NICs are used for redundancy, but my question is why would Edis supply 2 NICS to each VPS (assuming that they are on the same VLAN) ?

Because MAC addresses are free? :)
    No, some customers wanted it for whatever reason and it has no overhead (it also helps for stability in some OS) that is why we have it.

Thanked by 1klikli

@William said: Sure, but what do you expect from it? To be honest - nothing, they just look stupid with red dot in our OpManager :D

• Uninstall the driver for it then or deactivate it in device manager (Don't deactivate the wrong one tho :'))

@William - by OpManager I mean ManageEngine OpManager