Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended SMTP relay providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended SMTP relay providers?

agonyztagonyzt Member

Hi,

I'm looking for an SMTP relay provider that as a free tier for personal emails (friends and family). I'm aware of transactional email services like Mandrill, but I'm not sure it's really suited for personal emails.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Comments

• If it is just personal email - get one of the $4.87 yearly boxes from XVMLabs and set it up yourself.

• Mailgun is another one. You could easily setup a VPS that forwards mail through Mailgun or Mandrill. I'm willing to bet both have documentation on their website.

• @mickeyr Oh yes I know it's possible, and I actually use it this way (postfix configured to use Mandrill for outgoing mails)... I'm really looking for a non-transactional email alternative.

@Silvenga This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. My VPS is already configured to receive mails, but I don't want to run my own SMTP server to avoid dealing with blacklists and mails ending in spam boxes.

• petrispetris Member

Mandrill is just fine for personal use. I even have a tutorial on how to setup your VPS to use external mail relays.

Thanked by 2agonyzt iLLagHee
  • wychwych Member

Mandrill gets my vote.

• GunterGunter Member

Amazon SES, Mandrill, Mailgun, Sendgrid

Thanked by 1agonyzt
  • agonyzt said: I'm looking for an SMTP relay provider that as a free tier for personal emails (friends and family).

agonyzt said: I'm really looking for a non-transactional email alternative.

Non-transactional mail is bulk mail. You want to send bulk mail to friends and family? I'm confused....

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • sleddog said: Non-transactional mail is bulk mail. You want to send bulk mail to friends and family? I'm confused....

Lol :) Well from my point of view, non-transactional email can also be "standard" email. Transactional email sounds like it's for automated response, welcome emails, etc. I guess my definition of transactional email is wrong...

From Mandrill:

Definitions, Synonyms, Examples

So what is transactional email? Coming from a MailChimp state of mind, you might simply think of it as "anything that isn’t bulk". Basically, it is email sent to an individual based on some action. It could be:

an action they took directly
    an action they were the target of or,
    perhaps even inaction on their part

So yeah, based on this, I think it should be just fine :)

Thanks for the responses!

• I use mandrill for outgoing mail and the software installed via iRedMail for incoming.

• PostmarkApp will also do, even though not that cheap.
    Amazon SES will also do.